New User seeking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazzie

Hey folks, I am a new user and looking for some help. I am in south eastern NH and my brother just gave me our fathers old scanner. A couple of questions that I have are
1. Is this scanner to old to receive transmissions, as I haven't be able to as of yet. (Realistic pro 2011)
2. Is there anything I can do to make it work such as modify it. ( I am pretty handy with electronics)

I have programmed my local police fire etc. and it scans over and above that. If I turn the squelch below 2 it gets that static sound, I then move it up till it stops then back down a bit. Then it seems to just keep scanning and not pick anything up. While it's possible that no one out there is broadcasting, I find this very hard to believe. My scanner is using an antenna that plugs into the back (as opposed to on top) that is probably 4 ft. long-ish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Cazzie

chriscoal

that scanner should pick up most of the fire departments in your area,however, you will need a DIGITAL scanner if you want to listen to the police in most of New Hampshire.

mainetrunk

Chris is right..
Most of NH Police dept's are digital...
Most of the fire dept's are analog, with Portsmouth doing an analog patch...( they are digital )
When you get a scanner that accepts analog tones and digital NAC'S,
you can put the squelch anywhere....
You have many choices as to good equipment that is and is not made today..
Personally I would go with the RADIO SHACK PRO 106, or the WHISTLER clone to it..
They are really easy to program compared to the Uniden 396XT...
There are no current phase 2 systems to scan.( trunked system ).. Most of NH is conventional..
EBAY
DIGITAL POLICE SCANNERS
Best of luck--got a question -- just ask

Cazzie

Thanks Guys!

I am thankful for the responses. I will post back should I have any questions.

Regards,

Brad

mainetrunk

The NH channel for Southern Maine Fire Notification is 463.775 -- PL 74.4.......
464.850 is in 2 sites in Maine, York, and Waterboro...
Good scanning to you

Status
Not open for further replies.