Wayne NJ Trunked System APCO-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac-1

Sounds good but i think it will be awile for system to get going i don't see any Fcc App yet

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Yeah you have a point. Look at Fort Lee it was supposed to be up and running by summer of 2008. It is still not up and functioning. Maybe now that Ma-Com is owned by Harris they might actually install a system that works hehe. Only time will telll if any of their new systems under Harris are a success as opposed to the Tyco mess.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how much this will cost the taxpayers of Wayne? It sounds like yet another town is being sold a bill of goods. I wonder if the fire department will go with the digital radios, or opt out like in Montclair. Wayne sounds pretty good on their present system. I wonder what the reason is for going trunked?

Alarmguy

Premium Subscriber
9 Million was the last price I had heard floating around. Their current system is trouble plagued from what I have heard. Not to mention the fact they only have 1 primary transmit site. The new system of course since it is digital will need 4 new sites. They don't have the greatest signal here in NW Bergen area.
Here is an old thread with more info from 2008 from a former dispatcher in it: Wayne chooses Ma-Com Initial Thread

Tac-1

Think Wayne knows they have a new system for 9 million on they can only dream about using

Alarmguy

Premium Subscriber
No idea. One only has to look at York County PA's Ma-Com Apco 25 system to see how much problems they can look forward to. You would think after using Motorola equipment for years they would stick with Motorola. I know all their current units have MCS2000's and CDM1250's and HT1000's and HT1250's mixed in. All FD units have MCS2000 Model 2 Radios, with the exception of a few that have old GE Ranger radios left in from the old lowband system.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
We are stuck with EDACS in Verona. The system works , but, due to the idiots who signed off on our system, there are alot of dead zones. You can call in from Manhattan, but not from St. Barnabus in Livingston. Lets just hope they build it right, and don't try to save money at the expense of performance. I know our police officers can't stand our system, but we are stuck with it. Verona is only 2.2 square miles, and yet we have this disaster of a system. Good luck Wayne!!!

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Mt Olive has a great analog multi-site, non-trs, vhf high band system. The FD/EMS one works a tad better then the PD one.

Didn't cost a fraction of 9 million dollars.

Mt Olive is bigger and has more topography issues.

Why on earth any one town would spend that kind of money on a system is beyond me. If I was a taxpayer, i'd be going bonkers.

Seriously... is it THAT much better? The old system couldn't get a new receive site to fill in a dead spot or two?

Wow.

ResQguy

Meh
You would think after using Motorola equipment for years they would stick with Motorola. I know all their current units have MCS2000's and CDM1250's and HT1000's and HT1250's mixed in. All FD units have MCS2000 Model 2 Radios, with the exception of a few that have old GE Ranger radios left in from the old lowband system.

Actually, Wayne was almost all GE from about 1975-early 2000s. By the time the Fire UHF system was put in (1994ish?), it was GE RANGR all the way. Police, fire, FAS had S825 or S830 heads. The only Motorola gear was the FD and FAS HT1000s until the mid 2000s when they started replacing the GE stuff in earnest.

Alarmguy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for sharing that info. Sounds like you were there LOL! I had heard they had GE stuff for years cause they always used GE Star signaling for ages. But I figured they had been motorola for a longtime, since the PD guys I saw in the past 10 years had HT1000s with public safety mics. I may be mistaken again but from what you shared they went to 500 on GE Rangr radios?I saw an older engine with a Rangr and figured it must have been left from lowband.

Last edited:

NNJradio

Only in NJ do we have a problem with trunking and digital. It works in a great number of other places without problems.
Be thankful Tyco is out of the picture.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Why do you say there is problems with digital and trunking in NJ?

The only problems I have are the costs and concerns with fireground use. But hey, NJ will spend millions on a TRS for a town that is 5 square miles...and then duplicate it in the next town...and the next...

Shamefully Wasteful.

RocketNJ

If a town has multiple conventional repeaters on the same band and they use those frequencies for a trunked system it makes more efficient use of the frequencies. They can have more departments be on the system without the need to hear other departments.

ff026

Feed Provider
If a town has multiple conventional repeaters on the same band and they use those frequencies for a trunked system it makes more efficient use of the frequencies. They can have more departments be on the system without the need to hear other departments.

and if theymake it P25 phase II or make it Phase II upgradeable they double there channel allotment!

kenisned

Premium Subscriber

At what cost and for what level of improvement?

Seriously, it's time for these projects to be regional. Much more cost effective.

RocketNJ

Seriously, it's time for these projects to be regional. Much more cost effective.

That's why I like our county TRS. A bunch of towns on the system for dispatch with more coming on by the end of the year. Also true interoperability between all the police, fire, and ems agencies in the county, even the ones not on the TRS for dispatch.

Now Bergen County's interop solution they are implementing would not be my first choice. A single county wide VHF and single UHF channel for interop. If they are patched together then only a single interop conversation can take place at once.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
That's why I like our county TRS. A bunch of towns on the system for dispatch with more coming on by the end of the year. Also true interoperability between all the police, fire, and ems agencies in the county, even the ones not on the TRS for dispatch.

Now Bergen County's interop solution they are implementing would not be my first choice. A single county wide VHF and single UHF channel for interop. If they are patched together then only a single interop conversation can take place at once.

Well, to be honest. Operating on the fringes of a county TRS are not much fun.

It's not our primary, but it is great for interop....except, we are on the border with Warren and Sussex Counties. So our mutual aid does not have the radios.

So, we still wind up having multiple radios in our apparatus.

Someday!

radiomanNJ1

If the towns/cities/boroughs in Bergen were not the most territorial in the world they might consider doing what a good part of the USA has done. Join in the county/regional systems. But, no after all some like Napoleonic mayor just might think he is losing the tight fisted control of his chief that he holds by his private parts. Now if the chief would realize that his agency might and his population/customers might be served better by a regionalized system he might get his head out of the sand. Every borough with their own dispatch, radio channels, private super secret radio channels.

Bergen, high taxes, no real ems service, no cooperation between the communities, what a way to live.
"Can I get someone to go to the barn and pickup the rig from anywhere"
I know it's been said that the cops/firefighters/volunteer mommy ambulance drivers know there town and no one else does. Amazing only in Bergen.

Status
Not open for further replies.