NJ Transit 800 MHz TRS TETRA mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Ok folks, sounds like the NJ Transit TRS control channel (currently 868.4625 and 868.4875) is going through a wind tunnel. I notice that it is currently making a sound similiar to a TETRA control channel (credit to W2SJW's strange sounds page) and then goes back to a Motorola 3600 baud rate mode, then goes off-line for a few seconds, then comes back on-line. It also could be interference from another source, or possibly be in failsoft mode, but not sure. Could this also mean the possibility of a switch being flipped on this system to the "dark side" of TETRA digital?

Update: It appears that the system had reverted to fail-soft mode, as the sound of the control channel going through a wind tunnel has disappeared.

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
NJ Transit TETRA on-line?

"Calling all cars..."

Can a few of our listeners out there try to confirm if they are hearing a TETRA style control channel on 855.8375 in the areas served by the current Motorola NJ Transit TRS. I am hearing one in the southern end of Edison and I'm not 100% certain that it's TETRA or some other type of CC, and I have not heard this in the recent past. Looks like I'm up for a field trip to certain tower sites to stalk out a signal this weekend...(unless others beat me to the punch) :)

GM

Premium Subscriber
NJ Transit TETRA TRS

I've been trying to map out this new system that's on-line so far, and have come up with the following "control channels":

South Amboy: 854.56250 confirmed
Cranford: 855.83750 confirmed
Jersey City: 859.51250?
Secaucus: 857.68750?
There are also sites located in Kearny, Newark Penn Station, Paterson, Wall, Princeton, and I believe West Orange (from my recollection). Some of these sites are not on line yet. I also log a CC on 854.8375 up in the North-East NJ area, but can't seem to pinpoint it. Can a few of our listeners search some of these frequencies when they get a chance to and try to confirm freq's with locations? The rest of the frequencies are listed in the database in the Trunked Statewide section for reference. :)

SCPD

QRT
systen

If you have a TETRA capabe radio can you listen?(not a scanner obviously) if programmed to the frequencies?

CqDx

If you have a TETRA capabe radio can you listen?(not a scanner obviously) if programmed to the frequencies?

TETRA uses two way authentication, in other words even if your radio is probably programmed with correct IDs and privileges, the system will check its serial number against its database and if it doesn't match it will not decode any transmissions.

I believe some manufacturer supports some neat features such as remote kill radios.

TETRA is a very robust and secure system. however it requires a significantly large number of sites to cover the same geographic area as compared to traditional LMR systems

Last edited:

elias1988

Feed Provider
I'm picking up a control channel on 856.5375 for the simulcast site.

Edit:hearing another on 857.68750,maybe this is a statewide one since GM heard it also in Secaucus? hearing one on 859.51250 also GM reported as Jersey City.

Last edited:

Raccon

No. Depending on the vendor if the radio you don't actually need to program any frequencies (only the band to be scanned) since there is no direct association between a talkgroup and a specific frequency. However that doesn't mean the radio can register to the system or listen to any communication.

TETRA uses two way authentication, in other words even if your radio is probably programmed with correct IDs and privileges, the system will check its serial number against its database and if it doesn't match it will not decode any transmissions.
1. Authentication is optional.
2. Mutual authentication is optional.
3. Authentication does not use serial numbers, it uses the TEI (TETRA Equipment Identity) which may be the same as the serial number (but doesn't have to be).
4. Encryption or other mechanisms may also be used to prevent eavesdropping, even you somehow manage to register / authenticate the radio.

I believe some manufacturer supports some neat features such as remote kill radios.
Correct, subject to the system and radio model it might be possible to temporarily or permanently disable a radio over the air.

TETRA is a very robust and secure system. however it requires a significantly large number of sites to cover the same geographic area as compared to traditional LMR systems
With all things being equal the difference would not be that big.

W2SJW

Database Admin
The PowerTrunk MDT-400 mobiles have now been installed in the buses & depots...

6voZqwT.jpg

W2MB

Unfortunately, I think you are right

I got word that Trans Bridge buses are now using the new system.

I haven't heard any activity on the old system recently. Trans Bridge was the best, bar none, source of traffic reports for Route 78 between here and Manhattan...

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
They were great. I used to listen to them when I had to drive route 78 during rush hour. I will have to unlock all the talkgroups on that system and see who is left.

W2MB

They were great. I used to listen to them when I had to drive route 78 during rush hour. I will have to unlock all the talkgroups on that system and see who is left.

They're back.... Just was listening to the dispatcher talking to a bus on the old system. Who knows what is going on? Next time I take the bus I'll ask the driver...

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Not hearing anything on Trans Bridge, but Academy is active. There does seem to be less activity than there used to be, especially for rush hour.

Could be that not all the buses in the fleet have had the new radios installed yet, so they could be operating on both systems until the cut-over is complete.

W2MB

Transitioning Over

Could be that not all the buses in the fleet have had the new radios installed yet, so they could be operating on both systems until the cut-over is complete.

John, you hit the nail on the head. Last night I heard one of the buses talking with the dispatcher about an accident on 78 near the 287 split and the dispatcher mentioned that some of the other buses were discussing it on the "new system".

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
NJ Transit Police are now in the process of migrating over to the NJSP 800 & NJICS 700 System.

So far I have only confirmed 1 Talkgroup on the 800 System. 59632 - North Patrol. 59792 There are a slew of new Radio id's and at least 10 talkgroups for NJTPD. More to come as things start to shake out.

W2SJW

Database Admin
You read my mind - I was wondering to myself in the last few days whether they were going to use the TETRA system, or stay on VHF...

W2MB

Talked with a TransBridge driver about the new Tetra system on a trip to Manhattan on Wednesday. He gave mixed reviews but mentioned that when the new system loses the "satellite" (I'm guessing he meant out of range) no voice is heard, compared to noisy copy on the old system. The only traffic I heard on the way in was when the driver was communicating directly with another driver and the audio sounded really good. No background radio traffic was heard at all on the return trip during rush hour. Periodically though the radio would sound three low pitched tones, then shortly thereafter sound 3 higher pitched tones. This was in the more rural areas of Rt. 78 . I'm guessing the tones were indicating the loss of and subsequent return of the network.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.