RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2012, 2:21 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 543
Default New Roselle Park Frequency monitored ch. 2

During the hurricane and during the aftermath, I kept hearing the the RP police officers saying go to Ch. 2. I finally got annoyed with this and began scanning the band the next time this occurred and sure enough, their Ch. 2 is 159.015 MHz. It may be a simplex channel since it sounded slightly weaker than their main frequency. This should be added to the RR database, for I have confirmed it. I never heard it used until now. I wonder if they are even licensed for it cause I didn't see it listed anywhere.
__________________
I will only respond to friendly comments/feedback. All negative and rude people will be ignored totally.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2012, 5:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 502
Arrow Roselle Park Ch 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
During the hurricane and during the aftermath, I kept hearing the the RP police officers saying go to Ch. 2. I finally got annoyed with this and began scanning the band the next time this occurred and sure enough, their Ch. 2 is 159.015 MHz. It may be a simplex channel since it sounded slightly weaker than their main frequency. This should be added to the RR database, for I have confirmed it. I never heard it used until now. I wonder if they are even licensed for it cause I didn't see it listed anywhere.
Good pick up! The 159.015 frequency is also the input frequency to their 151.0400 DPW Repeater (Output) with a PL of 123.0. I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the repeater. So if you can get the PL/DPL that would be even better! and then make a DB submission on this for credit. OK?

Ken
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
jaymatt1978's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodcliff Lake,NJ/Cape May,NJ
Posts: 1,166
Default

Maybe it's just me but I would never program a PL on an input frequency unless there's massive interference. I have ran into this too, using differen t PL's on inputs, like in car mobile extenders each car has a different PL/DPL on the input frequency, very hard to track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_Ken View Post
Good pick up! The 159.015 frequency is also the input frequency to their 151.0400 DPW Repeater (Output) with a PL of 123.0. I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the repeater. So if you can get the PL/DPL that would be even better! and then make a DB submission on this for credit. OK?

Ken
__________________
Justin Mattes,KC2GIK
www.bergenscanner.com
www.justinmattes.com
kc2gik@justinmattes.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2012, 2:13 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 502
Lightbulb

Justin,

I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the (DPW) repeater. I suspect the PD is using this input as a simplex frequency for quick and brief tactical communications unit to unit, perhaps when there is less radio traffic of the DPW side after their regular working hours. However, with the storm recover things could be different. I PM ed the submitter to see if he could determine anything new?

Thanks

Ken
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2012, 3:28 PM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,127
Default

Simplex on a repeater input is most uncommon, more often than not it's on an output. That raises the possibility they were using the DPW repeater as a temporary channel 2 while DPW operations were suspended. I wouldn't mess with the database until this is confirmed by an official, reliable source.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2012, 2:22 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 543
Default

Warren, you may be right. I originally didn't know that frequency was the input for their former DPW channel. I say former because their DPW no longer uses radios to communicate and none of their trucks have antennas on them. They haven't used that frequency in at least 4 years, so it's possible the PD is now making use of it when they're busy.
__________________
I will only respond to friendly comments/feedback. All negative and rude people will be ignored totally.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
RadioDitch's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dart On The Map
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
Warren, you may be right. I originally didn't know that frequency was the input for their former DPW channel. I say former because their DPW no longer uses radios to communicate and none of their trucks have antennas on them. They haven't used that frequency in at least 4 years, so it's possible the PD is now making use of it when they're busy.
Some clarification on this.

The repeater has been in place for as long as I have been alive. This is not the former DPW channel, it is the DPW channel. It is still used by the DPW to coordinate during major events and disasters. Day to day "normal" operations it is used at most every few weeks, but each truck still has an assigned portable. In our town, DPW mobiles are pointless anymore since they're only using 1 watt. While RPPD does refer to this as channel 2, and uses it as an alternate, it is still very much the DPW channel.

The PL I'm not going to comment on.
__________________
73, W2MJR/EI7D
EMT/Railfan/Certified Nerd
Anywhere from Crawford, NE to Preghane, Ireland
Be a man. Drill it! Support Hams Against Magnetic Mounts.

Last edited by RadioDitch; 11-11-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2012, 8:34 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roselle Park, NJ
Posts: 543
Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarification, RadioDitch. I personally haven't heard DPW on that frequency in years, only recently heard the PD using it during the hurricane after math. But, nevertheless, it's a good additional frequency for my scanner for whenever it is used.
__________________
I will only respond to friendly comments/feedback. All negative and rude people will be ignored totally.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2012, 6:40 PM
Fuzy_GSXR1000's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleville,New Jersey
Posts: 1,323
Default

Great post same thing applies to Belleville,NJ the DPW has a frequency which you hear activity once in a blue moon!!! If I remember right 155.715?!
__________________
Michael KD2CUD
Kenwood TH-F6A
GRE PSR-800
Uniden 536HP
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions