RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 2:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default New Roselle Park Frequency monitored ch. 2

During the hurricane and during the aftermath, I kept hearing the the RP police officers saying go to Ch. 2. I finally got annoyed with this and began scanning the band the next time this occurred and sure enough, their Ch. 2 is 159.015 MHz. It may be a simplex channel since it sounded slightly weaker than their main frequency. This should be added to the RR database, for I have confirmed it. I never heard it used until now. I wonder if they are even licensed for it cause I didn't see it listed anywhere.
Old 11-08-2012, 5:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Arrow Roselle Park Ch 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
During the hurricane and during the aftermath, I kept hearing the the RP police officers saying go to Ch. 2. I finally got annoyed with this and began scanning the band the next time this occurred and sure enough, their Ch. 2 is 159.015 MHz. It may be a simplex channel since it sounded slightly weaker than their main frequency. This should be added to the RR database, for I have confirmed it. I never heard it used until now. I wonder if they are even licensed for it cause I didn't see it listed anywhere.
Good pick up! The 159.015 frequency is also the input frequency to their 151.0400 DPW Repeater (Output) with a PL of 123.0. I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the repeater. So if you can get the PL/DPL that would be even better! and then make a DB submission on this for credit. OK?

Ken

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe it's just me but I would never program a PL on an input frequency unless there's massive interference. I have ran into this too, using differen t PL's on inputs, like in car mobile extenders each car has a different PL/DPL on the input frequency, very hard to track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_Ken View Post
Good pick up! The 159.015 frequency is also the input frequency to their 151.0400 DPW Repeater (Output) with a PL of 123.0. I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the repeater. So if you can get the PL/DPL that would be even better! and then make a DB submission on this for credit. OK?

Ken
kc2gik@justinmattes.com
Old 11-09-2012, 2:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lightbulb

Justin,

I suspect they are using a different PL or CSQ in order not to key up the (DPW) repeater. I suspect the PD is using this input as a simplex frequency for quick and brief tactical communications unit to unit, perhaps when there is less radio traffic of the DPW side after their regular working hours. However, with the storm recover things could be different. I PM ed the submitter to see if he could determine anything new?

Thanks

Ken

Old 11-09-2012, 3:28 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Simplex on a repeater input is most uncommon, more often than not it's on an output. That raises the possibility they were using the DPW repeater as a temporary channel 2 while DPW operations were suspended. I wouldn't mess with the database until this is confirmed by an official, reliable source.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2012, 2:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Warren, you may be right. I originally didn't know that frequency was the input for their former DPW channel. I say former because their DPW no longer uses radios to communicate and none of their trucks have antennas on them. They haven't used that frequency in at least 4 years, so it's possible the PD is now making use of it when they're busy.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
Warren, you may be right. I originally didn't know that frequency was the input for their former DPW channel. I say former because their DPW no longer uses radios to communicate and none of their trucks have antennas on them. They haven't used that frequency in at least 4 years, so it's possible the PD is now making use of it when they're busy.
Some clarification on this.

The repeater has been in place for as long as I have been alive. This is not the former DPW channel, it is the DPW channel. It is still used by the DPW to coordinate during major events and disasters. Day to day "normal" operations it is used at most every few weeks, but each truck still has an assigned portable. In our town, DPW mobiles are pointless anymore since they're only using 1 watt. While RPPD does refer to this as channel 2, and uses it as an alternate, it is still very much the DPW channel.

The PL I'm not going to comment on.
Be a man. Drill it! Support Hams Against Magnetic Mounts.

Last edited by RadioDitch; 11-11-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 8:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarification, RadioDitch. I personally haven't heard DPW on that frequency in years, only recently heard the PD using it during the hurricane after math. But, nevertheless, it's a good additional frequency for my scanner for whenever it is used.
Old 11-21-2012, 6:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Great post same thing applies to Belleville,NJ the DPW has a frequency which you hear activity once in a blue moon!!! If I remember right 155.715?!
Uniden 536HP
Sponsored links