Monmouth County 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It seems eventially most public safety in NJ will be on 700MHz trunked systems. I suppose this is good for interoperability.

NESN

A good move by M/C for the future but, what does this change do to the tentative Spring 2013 roll-out date?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looks like they are going with a 2 zone North/South system: 5 sites and 7 frequencies per zone. This is a good way to get around the adjacent channel de-sensing issue.

Unfortunately when the 700 MHz frequencies were allocated, they were done so in 25 kHz blocks. Because P25 systems use 12.5 kHz frequencies, this creates an issue when you wind up with immediately adjacent 12.5 kHz frequencies out of a single 25 kHz block, i.e. 769.78125 and 769.79375 in Monmouth's case. The frequencies being so close together is a less than ideal situation, to say the least. One solution is to break the system up into two zones like Monmouth is doing, where you alternate the frequencies between zones so you limit the de-sensing by putting more geographic space between them. The other solution is to try to "trade" frequencies by finding orphans in the region, which is a huge hassle as Rockland County found out.

The downside is that you lose an entire voice channel (two voice slots with a Phase II system) because you need two control channels for the two simulcast zones, as opposed to a single control channel for a single zone countywide simulcast.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Monmouth County TRS updates?

Hey guys,
Was looking around through past forum posts..this is the last I found
http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...8-monmouth-county-700-mhz-project-25-trs.html from December.
Does anyone have any new info regarding the Monmouth County TRS?
Roll out of Spring 2013? That's coming very soon.
Looks like the application is still "pending"
Just looking for some new info...and I suppose we should keep our ears out!

DJ88

The last I heard was that all law enforcement is going to be encrypted and fire and EMS are stayng on VHF. There was no information as to when and if they would go over to the TRS.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
same here..
I think from info I've heard the depts dispatched by county will go along with the county TRS.
It's rather silly to do fire on a P25 trunk. As you were..really silly. In fact fire on P25 in general is silly. You can't get a beginning packet out..and your mayday won't go through.
Anyway just was looking for some more credible info for any happenings.
This trunk I can see having police dispatched by county & county services (eg DOT) on it.

Last edited:

KC2zZe

What's silly about Fire (or EMS, for that matter) going to Project 25 trunking for operational radio traffic (enroute, arrived, additional alarms, enroute to quarters, back in service, etc., etc.)? Rockland County, New York is planning on turning their new phase 2 700 MHz system mid-year this year - for all the public safety services. Or are you talking about fireground radio traffic? We're talking apples and oranges here if you are.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

there really will be no need to monitor the trs. we'll be left out for 2 reason's. it is going to be a tdma phase II system. all indications point to it being a totally encrypted trs. so even with the current gre psr-800, and future tdma scanner's, it will be a no go.

squad1321

Question for the group...so the 700 MHz system licensed and seems to be set-up. What is MC going to do with all the 500 MHz channels they have licensed? Is this going to be another trunked system and for what purpose? Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Question for the group...so the 700 MHz system licensed and seems to be set-up. What is MC going to do with all the 500 MHz channels they have licensed? Is this going to be another trunked system and for what purpose? Thanks!

To be clear, the system has been "set up" here in the RR database for the benefit of those who want to see what frequencies they have licensed, and can monitor those frequencies for future activity.

All indications are that the county has decided to switch the project from T-Band to 700. This is a smart move, given that the T-Band frequencies would have to be relinquished in 9 or so years anyway. Since it appears that they haven't yet invested in infrastructure for this system, switching to a different spectrum is not a major hassle. I don't expect them to give up those T-Band trunked licenses until they are basically forced to give them back. Rockland County has done the same thing, even though their 700 system is 95% built out and on the air, they are still maintaining their T-Band trunked licenses (which were never used) until the very end.

elias1988

Feed Provider
I have created a wiki page for the system,please post any radio ID and unidentified talkgroup findings there once the system control channel(s) goes live,I'm hoping to be in range of the South Simulcast so I can run Pro96Com.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
FYI, those site numbers 1-001 for North and 1-002 for South will need to be confirmed or updated once the system goes live. I put them in the database like that for now, but it's nothing more than a guess on my part at this point.

squad1321

I see...so the original plan was to build a 500 MHz (T-Band) system, however, since 700 MHz opened up and T-Band will eventually have to be relinquished, keep the T-Band around until they are taken back, whether they ever get used is the question. Thanks!

To be clear, the system has been "set up" here in the RR database for the benefit of those who want to see what frequencies they have licensed, and can monitor those frequencies for future activity.

All indications are that the county has decided to switch the project from T-Band to 700. This is a smart move, given that the T-Band frequencies would have to be relinquished in 9 or so years anyway. Since it appears that they haven't yet invested in infrastructure for this system, switching to a different spectrum is not a major hassle. I don't expect them to give up those T-Band trunked licenses until they are basically forced to give them back. Rockland County has done the same thing, even though their 700 system is 95% built out and on the air, they are still maintaining their T-Band trunked licenses (which were never used) until the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.