RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 11:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm sure the EDACS system will migrate into the P25 Phase II system. Most towns not on the system are on it for example ( Piscataway).
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013, 6:45 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Piscataway's system is Phase-II capable, but they are not operating that way. They are in Phase-I FDMA mode.

Old 11-28-2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2SJW View Post
The NJSP has a more rudimentary type of functionality very similar to that with the IR sites on the 800MHz Type-II system.

That kind of behavior is not supported on the 7.xx P25 systems, so that's a interesting wrinkle they have to work out before the upgrade starts. Anyone else getting the feeling that it's not going to start until the PSIC is 100% deployed?

Sorry for the minor derail of the thread, back to the torches & pitchfork crucifixion of the county!
Wrinkle fixed.... Added more channels and no VOC (Voice over control)
Old 11-28-2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I wanted to clarify something in my original post on this topic. It was recently pointed out to me that the County licensed a new site for the OpenSky TRS in Middlesex Borough (Jim Robbins' Scanner Pages Table of Contents & Links) and upon a "fox hunt," I have found that the source of the 769.53750 OpenSky signal is indeed transmitting from the Middlesex Borough site, (as licensed) and NOT the New Brunswick site as originally stated. I have also contacted a few sources of mine and all of them have little to no knowledge of the new system at this time.
to be exact the tower behind the middlesex borough OEM offices ... I saw it with my own 2 eyes...
Old 11-28-2013, 5:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The tower in sayreville has no antannas on it also as GM stated county going to opensky is not written in stone it may turn out to be a P25 system only time will tell.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2013, 6:06 PM

Default Middlesex County Open Sky

Does Motorola not support P25 VDOC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 1:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I do not know if Harris operates these communications towers. They may even be cell phone towers. The towers are located ( not exact but general area(s) ) (1) Stelton Road, by Halls Trucking Company in South Plainfield. (2) Off of Hadley Road by Dicks Sporting Goods/ Middlesex Mall complex in South Plainfield. (3) Off of Cederbrook Avenue by John E. Riley School in South Plainfield. (4) Off of South Clinton Avenue in South Plainfield.

All of these towers are at least 100 feet tall and have several different attachments onto them. My guess is that they are not for the EDACS system operated by Harris/Middlesex County. If so, can someone tell me at least what their primary function is? I am just curious.
Old 12-03-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnls7424 View Post
If so, can someone tell me at least what their primary function is? I am just curious.
Try this website, I've found it useful on several occasions:

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
Old 05-22-2014, 6:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs up Middlesex County OpenSky

An interesting observation: sometime within the past two days, the "data control channel" associated with OpenSky trunking systems has been off the air (on freq. 769.53750) from the Middlesex Borough site. I'll keep an eye out to see if there will be a switch to P25 trunking or not...
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2014, 4:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Very doubtful police depts are even willing to use Opensky networking when there has been so many issues from other deptments complaining about it. Plus for interoperability standpoint P25 is the only way to go. Piscataway township uses it, Somerset County uses it.. As well as others. It's a proven system that even our federal government backs and uses. Most radios that are being used for the current EDACS Provoice have been updated anyway for Multi Banded use. Chances are there Harris Radios anyway and if they were purchased within the past 4 years they are multibands. Including but not limited to P25 phase 1 and 2 with TDMA capabilities for system voice pack data.
Old 05-23-2014, 7:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
An interesting observation: sometime within the past two days, the "data control channel" associated with OpenSky trunking systems has been off the air (on freq. 769.53750) from the Middlesex Borough site. I'll keep an eye out to see if there will be a switch to P25 trunking or not...
MedCentral is starting an large upgrade of their communications network and have decided to subscribe to the NJICS; they should be online sometime in September. From the discussion I had with one of the RWJ directors, this may catalyze the migration to P25 in Middlesex County.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sounds like a P25 migration to me!!
Old 06-06-2014, 9:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs down

Sometime today (I'm guessing in the mid-morning), the dreaded "evil sound" of the OpenSky Trunked System re-appeared on 769.53750 from the Middlesex Borough Site. So, don't count out OpenSky just yet - details to follow as they emerge...
Old 06-10-2014, 9:12 AM

Harris is no longer doing 'open sky' systems unless its from old contracts of GE, they are and have been putting up thier flavor of P25 phase 1 and are building phase x2 systems
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Do you have a press release of this fact that Harris is no longer deploying OpenSky systems? Or is it that they are no longer marketing OpenSky for Public Safety communications and now tailored towards Utilities only? According to their web site, they are still marketing OpenSky2. Harris PSPC

I am aware that Middlesex County has put out bids for a new radio system to replace the EDACS system, however I'm not sure when any switch to a new system will be occurring at this time. From my trusted contact, bids have been placed by Harris, Motorola, and another vendor. I'm almost certain that any new system that comes into play in the County will be P25, but it is not confirmed at this time should Harris be awarded the bid from what I was told (since most of the newer radios the County purchased have the OpenSky feature installed in it).
Sponsored links