Morris Co. P25 and BCD996XT w/ new firmware

Can you receive the Morris County P25 system on your BCD996XT with firmware v1.07.03?

• Yes, I can receive the system fine.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No, I cannot receive the system at all.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybex7254

I am curious as to how many folks that have a BCD996XT AND have applied the latest V1.07.03 Firmware are able to receive the Morris County P25 system.

I live 2 miles from the Netcong tower and cannot receive any audio on the P25 system (if I hold on the control channel it does decode SysID and TG's but no audio - this is the same thing that happened to the BCD396XT prior to applying the latest firmware that supposedly fixed the LSM issues). Since the majority of TG I listen to have been migrated to this system, my BCD996XT is useless and I'm still convinced that the latest Firmware did not address the LSM issues properly.

Please respond ONLY if you have a BCD996XT with v1.07.03 applies and you can or cannot receive the system. I am not interested if you have any other radio.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I do not live in Morris County NJ (used to) which is why I follow the thread. When I was reading your post though I saw something the other day that may apply here. This was from a wiki article that I printed out in May of 2011. It was discussing having trouble receiving Motorola UHF trunked systems. The article suggested to not use "auto" for the modulation mode setting. Instead program the modulation setting maually to regular FM. Again don't know if this will help or solve your reception problem but I figured sharing this with you and you trying it wouldn't hurt. Hope it works out!

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I am curious as to how many folks that have a BCD996XT AND have applied the latest V1.07.03 Firmware are able to receive the Morris County P25 system.

I live 2 miles from the Netcong tower and cannot receive any audio on the P25 system (if I hold on the control channel it does decode SysID and TG's but no audio - this is the same thing that happened to the BCD396XT prior to applying the latest firmware that supposedly fixed the LSM issues). Since the majority of TG I listen to have been migrated to this system, my BCD996XT is useless and I'm still convinced that the latest Firmware did not address the LSM issues properly.

Please respond ONLY if you have a BCD996XT with v1.07.03 applies and you can or cannot receive the system. I am not interested if you have any other radio.

My 996xt decoded the East IR Site perfect on the old system. The new LSM I get nothing although the CC is full
scale. I am two miles East and I do have terrain. The signal is full so I do not see how I get multi path. The only site I could be hearing is the East Site. I have tried ATT with no luck. When I listen to CC the audio I hear is "odd". The data is way in the background and it sounds "hollow". I do not think I am getting any IM or desense from other sites near me.1.07.03 did not help for me.

one other note: It looks like I will now have to fine tune trunked Bayonne P25. it is 20 miles from me and it used to come in with old firmare,not now . May just roll back to previous version

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolant113

I am in Hackettstown not even in the county with mountains surrounding me. I receive everything with full signal strength. I just bought my 996xt about a week ago if that changes anything. Also my 396XT has the latest firmware and works perfectly as well. I've been following this problem through the threads and it is such a strange issue... It seems like its a hit or miss with people.

Moose

Maybe you have a faulty unit? I have a 996xt and was hearing the P25 system in Union County even before the firmware update. I haven't tinkered with any settings and uploaded the database from RR using Proscan.

Sybex7254

To be honest I had considered that as a possibility but it wouldn't hold true as every other system works fine. I can receive the NJ PSIC P25 system and Picatinny P25 system without issues.

So what I'm seeing is those that can receive it seem to be more than 2-3 miles from the closest simulcast antenna. This alone supports that the latest firmware DID not address the LSM issue properly. Seen many similar topics in other State board's, there are similar complaints of the new firmware making things worse or they cannot receive the system at all anymore.

Amazing that Uniden hasn't acknowledged this, but not surprising. Just sucks that I have to use 2 scanners to listen to what I used to be able to listen to with one.

XD45man

I do not have a BCD996xt but I do have the BCD396XT and I just updated the firmware to version 1.11.01 and I am having no trouble receiving the morris county P25 system. I programmed the system myself copying the Picatinny P25 settings using Freescan. I will say it is a little choppy on the audio quality though but I can still understand what everyone is saying.

Sybex7254

Okay. I have no idea what's going on BUT all of the sudden I can now receive the P25 system on my BCD996XT!

Well let me clarify that...I am receiving some transmissions but not all and the audio is a very choppy compared to my BCD396XT. I haven't made any changes to the radio and the P25 settings are set to default so either there is some sort strange of atmospheric conditions in effect today or ????

Also see the signal bar strength going up and down 2-5 bars rapidly and am getting Finding Control Channel message occasionally. I'm still connected to external Scantenna and I'm only about 2 miles from the Netcong antenna.

Very weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.