RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 4:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question iTAC /Vtac channels what the heck?

Does anyone ver receive anything on the ITAC/VTAC?UTAC channels?I get a key up once and awhile,never any audio,are these digital or P25???
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 4:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes, they are active in the Atlantic City area.
Old 09-30-2013, 4:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I hear chatter on them from time to time. Not sure if some of the repeaters are linked together but most of the radio traffic I hear is coming from the Newark and Hoboken areas on UTAC channels.
Old 09-30-2013, 4:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question itac

Yes but is it analog or digital traffic?The radio reference has it as analog and all I get is short keyups
Old 09-30-2013, 4:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Atlantic City traffic is analog.
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 4:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Nationally Recognized Interops are Analog
The only exception is 700 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
Does anyone ver receive anything on the ITAC/VTAC?UTAC channels?I get a key up once and awhile,never any audio,are these digital or P25???
Old 09-30-2013, 4:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Question 700

is 700mhz p25or just digital?
Old 09-30-2013, 4:36 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: iTAC /Vtac channels what the heck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
is 700mhz p25or just digital?
P25 is digital
Old 09-30-2013, 4:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default ok

gotya, I just wondered what mode I needed to listen or how I had to program the scanner.
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 5:10 PM

VCall, UCall and 8Call are all conventional and the repeaters for UHF and 800 should always be off unless being used for a coordinated incident. Many areas however (including NCC, DE) do not follow this however and leave theirs on all the time (at times causing interference to others).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Im near NJ and NYC,and I hear nothing,anyone else neaarby ever hear anything?worth even scanning?
Old 10-03-2013, 1:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I usually hear activity for central and northern NJ on the UHF repeaters. Usually weekends during events. Early this morning I heard Morris County testing but I couldn't see which one they were coming in on. I think it was one of the UHF repeaters.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM

Itac, Lawtac, Vtac etc. should be quiet. They are for interoperability during a major emergency or event, not everyday comms.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by profiledescent View Post
Itac, Lawtac, Vtac etc. should be quiet. They are for interoperability during a major emergency or event, not everyday comms.
Some of the channels being discussed above are not the nationwide standard ones but rather regionalized ones, which do not have that "not everyday comms" restriction. Different frequencies, conventional licensing, etc.

Jim
Old 10-13-2013, 3:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Lightbulb itac etc

Finally heard something but it was portable or in the distance,so the actually use these frequencies!
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2013, 3:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Many only get activated for certain events or for testing. You may hear nothing 360 days out of the year, and then the other 5 days they'll be active. In some areas there are more repeaters than are actually needed for coverage, and then they'll "steer" the channel to the closest repeater for any specific request. And then some repeaters are left on or always on for emergency use.

Some places also use them for primary dispatch, but that's uncommon.
Old 10-13-2013, 4:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Like mentioned above not everyday comms. Mainly for nationwide interop or agency interop in large events or disasters. Many public works radios now carry them as law and fire/ems. Say in event a flooding or tornado disaster. Everyone will be assigned or dispatched from a primary vtac for example by a command unit. General idea. So everyone can communicate to another or another outside entity comes in to aide they can be on same page as command operations needs ems, police, fire, plows, man power, bridge roadway emergency repair etc for the public safety to get across.
Old 10-13-2013, 5:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not likely, at least in anything bigger than a small town. It's a lot easier for the EOC to program a few radios with each primary public works channel and dispatch them on their individual channel than it is to rely on communicating with everyone on the same VTAC. Especially when you're placing a lot of people on that channel who aren't used to using a radio, now your open mic or feedback issues affect everyone, and the higher levels of traffic cause public works users to turn their radios down which causes them to miss calls.

I'm much more likely to keep public works on their own channels, or if they rely on a repeater which goes down, to switch them either to another public works channel, an OEM or a spare "tac" channel, or possibly an itinerant or even GMRS frequency (any port in a storm) that I know isn't in use rather than a nationwide interop that is likely in high demand. I understand that a lot of municipalities can't necessarily rely on having someone in the EOC who understands what frequencies may be available and is able to reprogram radios as needed, but having that ability is much more valuable to me than committing one of a limited number of channels to public works. It probably also helps that we have pretty good relationships as far as comms goes, in terms of everyone knowing what everyone else has available and public safety and amateur groups that are willing to share resources.
Old 10-14-2013, 5:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I have heard all 3 VTAC's used for car-to-car chitchat and surveillance in my local area. Both PD and state DOT. So they may be of interest to monitor on a day-to-day basis, depending on local policies in your area, and how well they're enforced.
Old 10-14-2013, 9:23 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

In NJ there is no infrastructure built out on VTAC. If something is needed a agency will setup a tempoary repeater. It's not to say like some have suggested here that they are used for car to car or small operations requiring simplex communication.

NJ has the "extra" UTAC channels (4-8) are all infrastructure based and typically only built out in the counties that UASI funds.