Cape May County-Wide Fire Dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I heard that Cape May County is flirting with a countywide dispatch with a new radio system. Can anyone confirm? And what companies are on board? I was in Avalon yesterday at the firehouse and a member was talking about them going.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
He also cited being able to utilize the county’s 700-megahertz radio system and utilize the county’s microwave system.

I was not aware that Cape May County had a 700 MHz system, and a quick ULS search reveals nothing. Unless, that is, they're jumping onto the NJICS.

I know Stone Harbor FD currently utilizes a TRBO system, so I wonder if that's where they would all move to at first. I've always wondered why Avalon and Stone Harbor maintained separate centers, considering they're fundamentally the same communities.

jaymatt1978

The county was rumored to be setting up a 453 MHz trunked system but didn't kn ow about the 700MHz

Last edited:

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I thought I had seen some time ago here on radio reference that they Cape May County was looking into a Phase 1 700 system.

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
The 700 system they are talking about is the NJPSIC system. Site 6 gives great coverage for the county. From Cape May to Belleplain. There is a few radios out and about testing the area and you might see a couple entities use it starting 2014.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Great! More for my PSR 800 to listen too!

I really wish I had a PSR-800 now... well, we'll see what happens with Uniden's release this weekend and when Whistler resurrects the GRE products. Ideally, I want a base unit over a portable to replace in my car.

The 700 system they are talking about is the NJPSIC system. Site 6 gives great coverage for the county. From Cape May to Belleplain. There is a few radios out and about testing the area and you might see a couple entities use it starting 2014.

Okay, so my suspicion was right with the NJICS (fka NJPSIC). I realized how great the coverage was on it in August down there; actually, the NJICS coverage statewide is pretty solid. Hopefully, I have a Phase II scanner by the time Memorial Day comes around next year and I can monitor any potential talkgroups (assuming they won't be FDMA).

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I really wish I had a PSR-800 now... well, we'll see what happens with Uniden's release this weekend and when Whistler resurrects the GRE products. Ideally, I want a base unit over a portable to replace in my car.

I hope they come out with a base/ mobile unit as well! I'd like to put it in my car as well.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I was told about 2 or more years ago that the state tried to buy all of the 700 freq's to create a system and sell what they had left over to the counties. But the FCC told them that they can't do that.

ermafire62

Cape May county Fire dispatch

as far as i know Avalon and Stone Harbor are on board for the county wide 700 megahertz radio system i think it's a great idea for all fire departments to consider jumping on board however it;s going to take alot of convincing and alot of money for the upgrade it's kind of a pain in the rear end to hear switch to channel 2 or middle fire 3 wildwood fire 3 and so on

camco911

Premium Subscriber
as far as i know Avalon and Stone Harbor are on board for the county wide 700 megahertz radio system i think it's a great idea for all fire departments to consider jumping on board however it;s going to take alot of convincing and alot of money for the upgrade it's kind of a pain in the rear end to hear switch to channel 2 or middle fire 3 wildwood fire 3 and so on

Yes, it would cost them a lot of money. But, it would be far cheaper to by the radios then the radios and the radio system, locations to place the towers, etc. by piggybacking on the state system.

Last edited:

maverick15951

Um ...no... They are going to trbo ... And are in the midst of combining dispatch...

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
Stone Harbor and Avalon will be using the Trbo vhf on their ops channel. The Pd has also gone from UHF to VHF TRBO now. No fire dept. in Cape May Co. is or will be using the 700 system any time in the future. The county purchased apx radios for Sheriffs and Pros. office. The talk of county wide dispatch is true but will take years due to County not being able to handle the load of all fd/ems. They are trying Stone Harbor and Avalon FD/EMS dispatch through "County" in March.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Stone Harbor and Avalon will be using the Trbo vhf on their ops channel. The Pd has also gone from UHF to VHF TRBO now. No fire dept. in Cape May Co. is or will be using the 700 system any time in the future. The county purchased apx radios for Sheriffs and Pros. office. The talk of county wide dispatch is true but will take years due to County not being able to handle the load of all fd/ems. They are trying Stone Harbor and Avalon FD/EMS dispatch through "County" in March.

Looks like Avalon PD is going to 2nd slot on Stone Harbor PD's DMR system... and it looks like we have lost both to the infamous encryption.

I can only assume Avalon FD will be vacating their UHF and moving over to DMR shortly as well. I'll assume they'll stay in the clear, but I'm cautiously optimistic ever since what Piscataway Township did...

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Looks like Avalon PD is going to 2nd slot on Stone Harbor PD's DMR system... and it looks like we have lost both to the infamous encryption.

I can only assume Avalon FD will be vacating their UHF and moving over to DMR shortly as well. I'll assume they'll stay in the clear, but I'm cautiously optimistic ever since what Piscataway Township did...

I don't see anything mentioned in this thread about Stone Harbor and Avalon going to DMR using encryption. Remember DMR doesn't mean encryption and can still be monitored with DSD.

EDIT: Just saw the database entry indicating encryption.

Last edited:

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
Avalon and Stone Harbor PD are both using privacy on the dmr. Avalon fd will still use 154.385 118.8 and SH FD will be both 154.385 and their dmr ops channel thats not privacy enabled. Cape May Co. dispatch will be dispatching them both simulcasting 154.1300. This will begin in the next couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.