antennas in Clifton

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Antennas

Show us a pic,Broad ave you talking about Am 930 WPAT they have circular tops.

Last edited:

If you like those, go to Lyndhurst behind the Schuyler Diner or along Polito Avenue and see the antenna farms back there! Behold the glory of AM radio!

W2IRT

Yeah, IIRC, there's the 4-square for 1010 WINS, five towers for 1190 (WLIB or ?? now), three big towers for 710 WOR and I think one other array as well.

Yeah, IIRC, there's the 4-square for 1010 WINS, five towers for 1190 (WLIB or ?? now), three big towers for 710 WOR and I think one other array as well.
I believe you're right. 1010 WINS (I think, anyway) was across from Medieval Times on Polito Avenue. Going back, they had like a Rohn 45 coming out of the building with an HF tri-bander on it.

They were my favorite station as a kid. Before I moved out of NJ, I had the mistaken notion that every major city had a 24 hr. news station that would actually report the news (as "news" probably should be). I try getting it nowadays that I'm out of the area. Very rare.

I usually can hear WCBS from City Island (Bronx). I understand they used to diplex with WFAN (formerly WNnnnnnnBC) and that the small tower at WABC could load up for either of the 3 big stations in case the primaries went out.

I was also in a hot spot for WNEW-AM. Whenever my phone went out, I could hear 1130 coming from the handset. Some of the towns had problems with their radio tielines for voting receivers coupling broadcast audio, and a former co-worker told me that the AM near-field energy would wreak havoc on Curtiss Wright's electronics.

But as a kid, I could go upstairs in my house and look out a certain window and see many of the tower beacons from the Meadowlands at night. It was pretty cool.

Ever listen to the 900 MHz STLs?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
WKER 1500

Moving away from the Clifton area but still in Passaic County. While working security on the over night shift in the Midvale section of Wanaque over 30 years ago, I listened to what was then AM Station of WKER The Mighty 1500, its antenna was located near where RT 287 now crosses Ringwood Ave just West of South Twin Lake. Back then there was no RT 287 save only in the planning stages on some engineers map. Waxing nostalgic here, it was a mix format of all sorts of popular tunes suited for every taste at the time. The radio commercials were mostly local business,mom and pop stores and car dealerships. It was definitely "small town format" type of station. Some what similar to the fictions radio station of "KORN" on the old country TV show "Hee Haw" Here is a LINK if your interested ::roll:

Max :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.