RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default HBO Vice: Camden, NJ Police State?

I just finished watching an episode of HBO Vice series. On this episode, Vice presented a piece about Camden, NJ and the so-called police state there. During this show, they panned over to some fellow who showed the viewers he was monitoring cops on his smart phone. However, when I looked up Camden PD on the RR DB, I found nothing but "E" listed under mode for the Camden County Public Safety Phase II P25 system. The show indicated that they adopted Metro Units. When I looked at Troop A on the NJ State Police trunking, I found one talk group with a "D" talk group 34864. This is listed as a tactical talk group, Metro South. I believe I also observed a similar talk group for Metro South on NJICS. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who watched this show & also monitors said traffic in NJ. I want to know if they were accurate or not.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Not sure if this is going to help you - or not -

The NJSP have both uniformed troopers and undercover troopers working in Camden on a daily basis. At one time the troopers assigned to work in the citys - starting in Trenton many years ago were identified internally by the NJSP as the Metro Task Force - regardless of what fancy acronym the politicians might assign to thime from time to time.

The Camden City Police have been disbanded and taken over by the Camden County Police Department which only patrols the City of Camden at this time. The Unit that patrols Camden City is identified as the "Metro" district .

If this is what you were looking for great - if not - just disregard.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

An older episode maybe.
Old 06-15-2014, 8:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default New Episode Older Footage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
An older episode maybe.
I will go back & look at the credits to see when this was filmed. It shocked me seeing this because it is so uncommon to see an on-line tactical channel. I might even write HBO and confront them about this issue. I am not shy. The show did mention the creation of the new metro squad. My what CCTV saturation they have up there. If someone were to light up a blunt, there would be tons of cops sitting on top of them before they ever extinguished the match. I don't know if I like that level of scrutiny given the NSA & Homeland Insecurity. Do you recall the bombing of the Tube in London I think it was? With their heavily-saturated CCTV cameras, they were able to quickly apprehend the culprits. I have mixed feelings about this. Thanks for responding to my post.
Old 06-15-2014, 3:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Perhaps the fellow with the smartphone app was listing to the former Camden City feed, which was EDACS, before they switched over to the P25 system. Just a thought...
Old 06-16-2014, 2:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It was probably a feed from the old EDACS system. I believe that that the feed covered only the routine channels 1 thru 4 and traffic. Vice had their own groups and some were AEGIS digital. NJSP also has AEGIS groups. I doubt that and Vice analog groups were fed because that would have ben a violation of the Broadcastify TOS. Since then the CPD disbanded and County Metro Police took over. They switched over to the new P25 system a few months back where all law enforcement is 100% encrypted.
Live Audio http://www.phillyscanner.com/live.html

Last edited by jcardani; 06-16-2014 at 3:13 PM..
Old 06-16-2014, 5:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Camden VICE Episode

In the segment where the Chief is giving a tour of the surveillance center the date on the screens is March, 2014.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt307 View Post
In the segment where the Chief is giving a tour of the surveillance center the date on the screens is March, 2014.
Which was before they switched to the 700 MHZ encrypted channels.
Old 06-17-2014, 8:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Eagle Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt307 View Post
You made a very astute observation. Wow, I didn't notice. Now, we have our answer. I bet Mr. Smart Phone is going to have a very rude awakening when the dope comes out. Thanks.

Last edited by Ensnared; 06-17-2014 at 8:08 AM.. Reason: added sentence
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2014, 4:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I had a lot of happy listeners, and a bunch of pissed off camden cops when I had that feed going. They let me know about it too. Hi fellas !
Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default "E" Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
I had a lot of happy listeners, and a bunch of pissed off camden cops when I had that feed going. They let me know about it too. Hi fellas !
Yes, I would imagine they had a cow about it. Let's see if the encryption makes a difference in the crime rates up there. The HBO program mentioned that some considered the over-the-top tactics of the cops there as being close to a police state. As the officer was defending his position against this contention, he actually defined the concept, Police State.
Old 07-04-2014, 6:15 AM

Default Police State

Considering Camden always tops the most dangerous cities in the US, I think they need to be a "police state." in addition, I'm sure the HBO special didn't say how Camden PD laid off half their officers a year prior to disbanding the department all together. It got to the point where chief Thompson made a news statement saying something like... If youre not dead or dying, don't call 9-1-1, we won't come...
Old 07-04-2014, 11:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I saw that episode amazing command center! I guessed they went encrypted because their so crime riddled that the police had to step up their game. It looked like Robo Cop HQ!!!
Uniden 536HP
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Crime Statistics Warrant Action

For the areas of the country where crime is through to roof, I might agree that encryption is needed. I wish they would leave the dispatch channels open and do their stealthy activities on encrypted tactical channels/talk groups.
Old 07-04-2014, 1:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I remember a day when the term Police State would spark response of
-get your tin hat and look out for black helo's..

We live in a new world,full spectrum dominance.

Im am not in PS,but I did work in the contract security field.What is out there
is astonishing.
Old 07-04-2014, 3:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Classic Delusional Activity, CIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthhorseman View Post
I remember a day when the term Police State would spark response of
-get your tin hat and look out for black helo's..

We live in a new world,full spectrum dominance.

Im am not in PS,but I did work in the contract security field.What is out there
is astonishing.
Yes, I've heard patients talking about hearing voices and believing they are being followed by the CIA. While this might appear to be psychotic to most, it may not be so far out there when you start to think about it. LOL.
Old 07-05-2014, 9:54 AM

Smile

Confront? Whom and why? nothing like stirring up more and more. You wonder why the E is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensnared View Post
I will go back & look at the credits to see when this was filmed. It shocked me seeing this because it is so uncommon to see an on-line tactical channel. I might even write HBO and confront them about this issue. I am not shy. The show did mention the creation of the new metro squad. My what CCTV saturation they have up there. If someone were to light up a blunt, there would be tons of cops sitting on top of them before they ever extinguished the match. I don't know if I like that level of scrutiny given the NSA & Homeland Insecurity. Do you recall the bombing of the Tube in London I think it was? With their heavily-saturated CCTV cameras, they were able to quickly apprehend the culprits. I have mixed feelings about this. Thanks for responding to my post.
Old 07-09-2014, 7:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default That's How I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomanNJ1 View Post
Confront? Whom and why? nothing like stirring up more and more. You wonder why the E is there?
At the time I wrote the remark you quoted, I believe I was questioning the accuracy of the HBO Vice show. I believe we've determined that it was filmed at a different time, after the formation of the new squads.

Now, if I found that HBO was inaccurate, I would likely confront them about their inaccuracy. Since this would not be forwarded to the LE decision-makers in that city, I don't see how this would be a problem.

However, I have let this thread go. I only checked on my previous threads/posts to see if people remarked.

I am curious. "Nothing like stirring up more and more" is making reference to in this matter? Please, be more specific about what you're saying.

Why "E" is there? I believe this has been firmly established regarding the reason(s). I am curious how my writing HBO Vice would have the slightest influence on the powers that be in NJ.
Old 07-10-2014, 5:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

LOL that's funny stirring it up. Do you honestly think the "E" isn't going to happen? I don't want ANYBODY to encrypt so I can listen but didn't Mick Jagger say a long time ago "You can't always get what you want"?
Uniden 536HP

Last edited by Fuzy_GSXR1000; 07-10-2014 at 5:54 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default E In Vogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzy_GSXR1000 View Post
LOL that's funny stirring it up. Do you honestly think the "E" isn't going to happen? I don't want ANYBODY to encrypt so I can listen but didn't Mick Jagger say a long time ago "You can't always get what you want"?
Well, it surely makes me vomit to hear LE talking about the nasty "E" for a Barnie Fife-styled department. I don't think NJ is in this category.

So, if you want to see a nice hard song about such, I suggest Ice-T Body Count, "Manslaughter" on Craig Ferguson. They owned the stage on this one. I like hard-driving loud & abrasive music. It is a perfect song for what I saw on Vice.