Trunked Systems - FreeScan / bc346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShaggyOx

Hello Forum,

I tried to search and find an answer, but I'm afraid I'm a bit overwhelmed with the terminology used and the acronyms. It's like trying to read another language for me, I just don't have the experience with this hobby yet. I was hoping someone could maybe help me out or point me in the correct direction.

I'm from Gloucester County, near the border with Cumberland County in New Jersey. I'm using a Uniden BC346XT scanner with FreeScan software.

I've found a lot of conventional systems here on the website, and I've gotten them all to work. I frequently hear EMS and Police chatter for various towns.

I tried to add the NJ state police trunked system and I can't tell if I've done something wrong in my setup (maybe it's because I'm new and there's an obvious oversight) or if I'm too far away from any radio signals to hear them. The system I setup is silent. I get no chatter at all.

In FreeScan, I created a new system, named it NJSP. The Type is Mot Type II / P25, which I got from the RR page which states it's a System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink.

I entered 3 sites to the system, one for Atlantic County, one for Cumberland county and one for the statewide simulcast. I used EZ-Grab to enter the trunk frequencies.

I then started creating talk groups. I added the Troop A (South) Patrol group which has Gloucester county added and all the counties near me.

As far as I can tell, I've entered everything correctly. I just don't get any reception. Do I have to enter something regarding the "System ID List" which is a table at the top of the RR page (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6452). If so, where do I enter that information into FreeScan?

I'm just struggling determining if I setup the scanner incorrectly, or if I'm just in a radio dead zone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

joeuser

The Wretched
If you are importing the info you should be good to go & I would suspect antenna. The stock / original antennas are just terrible. Since you want conventional & 800 stuff - you may want to pick up the Radio Shark telescoping with center load - its 15$ & its the best bang for your buck.

TheShaggyOx

Make sure you enter it as a Mot Custom/Reband Type II. See the note at the top of the page that you linked.

I followed that link that explains the rebanding and then to the "Software Support for Rebanding" topic. There was a link titled Software Support for Uniden Rebanding for Uniden scanners. On that page, it states:

"XT version scanners already have the firmware updates to support rebanding". My scanner is a BC346XT, so I think I am ok for the rebanding problem. My specific model isn't listed as one needed a firmware update. There was an issue noted "Fixed a bug that could cause Control Channel Only in Search Mode not correctly follow a rebanded system" so I am installing firmware version 1.05.00. It installed successfully.

Also, Mot Custom/Reband Type II isn't an option for FreeScan that I can see, the drop down list has:
Mot 800 MHz Type I
Mot Type II / P25
EDACS Narrow / Wide
EDACS SCAT
LTR
P25 Standard (Digital XT)
P25 One Freq Trunk (Digital XT)

Thank you for the reply :)

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
One of the sites you should have put in should be ''South Simulcast ", You state statewide but there are three statewide systems. (just making sure) See if you can lock in or manually tune to the control channel where you will hear data noise. Right now the control channel is on 859.9375. May switch off from time to time to 860.9375. Mot type II / P25 will work, works for me. By the way the Cumberland and Atlantic IR sites will not work for you, You have be very close to them and I believe a mobile unit in the area of them also for those to work.

Last edited:

TheShaggyOx

Hello, antenna?

LOL, I believe you hit it on the nose joeuser. I took my radio with me today on my way to work, passed by the barracks in Bellmawr and the scanner picked up all the chatter.

So, my programming was done correctly (thank you to those who put the work in on this website for the information :)) and my scanner is working correctly.

It seems that the basic antenna isn't picking up the weaker signals near my house. Thank you for your solution.

Kennyloatman,
Thank you. Yes I did put the simulcast address site in first. I then added the Buena one.

Status
Not open for further replies.