ugh 5 yr old knocked scanner over and broke usb port in scanner! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if its a hard job to replace and anyone know the kind of usb it is (size wise) i dont want to be without the scanner and whistler will probably charge an arm and a leg to fix it !! Thanks in advance ! Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150412_191106.jpg
    20150412_191106.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 837
R

retiredmich

Be for you spend $$$$ on getting it fixed, try to re soldering it back together.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
The inside of it cracked theres a plastic piece inside that keeps the pins inline that broke and fell out . So i need a whole new one .

tumegpc

I have a five year old too and it's a 24/7 constant watch. She really never messes with my scanners but accidents happen. And I always try to do my electronic projects when she's not around or sleeping, especially when I'm using the soldering iron.

Is the port just loose at the solder joints? Is there damage to the PCB traces?

R

retiredmich

call these people & get advise.

G&G COMMUNICATIONS
Gerry Oliver - Owner
7825 Black Street Rd., LeRoy, N.Y. 14482
Phone: 585-768-8151

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
The first pic is the piece that broke out of the center of the second pic . You can see it cracked. The piece that broke out i guess keeps everything in line so when you put charger into scanner it doesnt bend the pins. The actual usb thats soldered into the scanner isnt lose its the plastic piece that cracked and fell out.

Attachments

• 20150412_235532-1.jpg
    20150412_235532-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 750
  • 20150412_235307.jpg
    20150412_235307.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 681

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
The first pic is the piece that broke out of the center of the second pic . You can see it cracked. The piece that broke out i guess keeps everything in line so when you put charger into scanner it doesnt bend the pins. The actual usb thats soldered into the scanner isnt lose its the plastic piece that cracked and fell out.

I could replace the connector for you, set up a eBay service, or just use one of my programming service, doesn't matter, to make it safe transaction, well known on eBay with over 1700 feedback. Cost will be $40 bucks turnaround about a week. Go under name Mastertechtrading.

R

retiredmich

Wont hurt to try, if it don't work then send it in to get it fixed.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I haven't done a USB replacement yet, that's coming one of these days, for sure. I hit the jackpot on a really nice desoldering station a few years ago for $25 shipped! Nobody bid on it, it was very strange. Almost new, worked, and still does, perfectly. I have a tiny little iron that works well for SMD stuff too. My eyes are my main issue, I don't have any shakes, yet.

blee1099

Should be able to find a replacement usb port on mouser.com or digikey.com.. Just get a soldering gun, a solder sucker and a solder in a new one..

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
I haven't done a USB replacement yet, that's coming one of these days, for sure. I hit the jackpot on a really nice desoldering station a few years ago for $25 shipped! Nobody bid on it, it was very strange. Almost new, worked, and still does, perfectly. I have a tiny little iron that works well for SMD stuff too. My eyes are my main issue, I don't have any shakes, yet.

That one thing I am picky about is solder iron, as need fast recovery time, as solder those quad pack fine pitch IC's and various other by hand and quickly. I actually use a flat tip and drag solder, never use a pointed tip. I also have a SMD rework station, only used that for reballing BGA IC's and for rework. Best Solder station is Weller, or JRC, or a RF based solder station, they have very quick startup and recovery time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.