RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmguy View Post
Ouch encountered that many times when I was an electrician. I've seen a loose neutral put voltages as high as 170 volts! How is your ground to the water meter or ground rods? Those are "supposed" to take over when the neutral is out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ground to two 8 ft ground rods just outside where panel is. Both ground rods are cad weld bonded about 4 ft apart from each other. Highest I've seen one leg is 130 volts but I did have one of my Hopper satellite receivers die before I ran around unplugging electronics.

In work we had a mis-wired 208 to 240/120 transformer which in turn fed a 240 volt input UPS unit. The licensed electrician wired the Neutral from the UPS maintenance switch to the 208 panel's neutral instead of the center tap of the transformer secondary. When the UPS company came to do maintenance and switched the load to street power it smoked about $400k worth of equipment.

The name for PSE&G is Pretty SH--TY Electric & Gas. Play Hangman and fill in the blanks!
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2018, 8:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
Not true. Kenwood NX-52xx series radios are capable of analog, P25 and DMR in one radio. While you may not get the roaming ability that Iím sure Kinnelon uses with all their sites and IP Site Connect, you can simply program each one separately (or the one closest to the town that would provide the mutual aid).

The dispatcher could also establish a console patch, although the analog to digital conversion sounds like crap.

I can tell you from personal experience, the whole changing a channel to find some channel or talkgroup while the stuff is hitting the fan is not easy. ďRoutineĒ traffic stop, approach car and guy takes a pop shot at you and takes off. Your blood is flowing, you run to your vehicle, throw in it drive and grab the mic on your dispatch channel. Youíre trying to catch up to a suspect, getting info out, adrenaline is pumping, then you cross jurisdictions. IF everyone is on the same platform, whether it be analog or P25, etc., it so much easier for the dispatcher to jump on the neighboring channel, advise what is going on a request a patch so I stay on my channel and other jurisdiction(s) on theirs and everyone can talk to each other.

While I find this method best, I also find that if EVERY agency buys into that platform (like everyone getting on a Countywide simulcast P25 trunked system that the County already has in place), talkgroup 1 patch to talkgroup 2 in one second. Crosses into next jurisdiction, add talkgroup 3 etc.

I can tell you from from a user perspective in that situation, Iím not looking down flipping through zones and channels. And then if the guy bails out on foot, my portable is still on my dispatch because I never changed it.

Make sense ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are there any non-Motorola radios that are capable of RAS? If there aren't they're basically stuck with Motorola along with any neighboring agencies looking to get on their system for interoperability. Perhaps the Vertex VXD-720?
Old 04-16-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2AJB View Post
Are there any non-Motorola radios that are capable of RAS? If there aren't they're basically stuck with Motorola along with any neighboring agencies looking to get on their system for interoperability. Perhaps the Vertex VXD-720?

RAS is a Motorola proprietary feature. Hytera has their own version of it, but AFAIK, they are not compatible.

Old 04-16-2018, 4:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
RAS is a Motorola proprietary feature. Hytera has their own version of it, but AFAIK, they are not compatible.
Nope. And no work around will ever exist.
Old 04-16-2018, 5:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDitch View Post
Nope. And no work around will ever exist.
It was as I feared. Thank you for the replies.
Sponsored links