NJICS on a BCD396XT. Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Hey guys. I have a 396xt which I know can only do Phase 1. I see some of the TG’s are Phase 1, according to the database.

I also see there is a site(Ramapo) right in my town.

What can I hear off of this site? Also, is NJICS sites like SP? Will the TG’s move from system to system? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Program the 396XT and find out for yourself. According to RadioReference, your county "Passaic" is TDMA capable. It doesn't mean they ARE using Phase II. Just that they have that capability. You won't know unless you try. Good luck.

Last edited:

NParkNJ

On the Road
Program the 396XT and find out for yourself. According to RadioReference, your county "Passaic" is TDMA capable. It doesn't mean they ARE using Phase II. Just that they have that capability. You won't know unless you try. Good luck.

True. Ok thanks. I’ll give it a shot, and see what I get.

bailly2

its mostly phase 1. fair amount of simulcasting, so if it sounds distorted, enclose the antenna with cardboard and aluminum foil except in one direction, or put antenna through hole in side of empty paintcan near the bottom. cuts out the other towers simulcasting

Passaic County Sheriff was using Phase II last time I checked, which was about a week ago. Since the Ramapo site is just a single site you will have no issues with simulcast distortion.
Fairfield Police still uses Phase I and seems to be using the Ramapo site quite frequently. (probably full-time)
Occasionally some State Police activity will come on when a radio affiliates with that site, although DOT ops are more frequent.
I seemed to also be hearing a lot of activity from the NJ Transit PD along with Park PD and F&W.
Again, this is just my experience with about only a day of monitoring. YYMV as a TG will only be transmitted on that site when a radio associated with that TG affiliates.

SCPD

QRT
I wouldn't bother I live in Passaic County, unless you have Phase 2 , not much to hear on that system.....

NParkNJ

On the Road
I wouldn't bother I live in Passaic County, unless you have Phase 2 , not much to hear on that system.....

Copy. Thanks.

Yeah local is 99% analog. Wayne being the exception Phase 1. Would like to hear Pequannock/Kinnelon. Not a huge deal for me though, I can live without a P2 scanner for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.