Newark PD Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fman872

Just saw NPD chopper in-flight for the first time. Does anyone know what channel they are using?

mondaro

Feed Provider
Fman872 said:
Just saw NPD chopper in-flight for the first time. Does anyone know what channel they are using?

I spoke to someone over the summer from NPD they told me that the helicopter can use any of the Newark PD channels, Also they must talk to the Newark Control tower while there in flight on 127.850 AM since there will be flying in the EWR class B air space. I think the person said there going to ID as Helicopter 1 on the Police Channels but I could be wrong on that. Also I do not know where the aircraft base is but I would not be
surprised if it's not Newark Airport. Anyone that has info on this t would be appreciated.

Tony

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Oh For Heaven's Sake!

Newark NJ PD has a Helicopter?

If they run that chopper like they run that department, look out!

Listen to Newark PD comms to see what I mean...

Dan

Fman872

mondaro said:
I spoke to someone over the summer from NPD they told me that the helicopter can use any of the Newark PD channels, Also they must talk to the Newark Control tower while there in flight on 127.850 AM since there will be flying in the EWR class B air space. I think the person said there going to ID as Helicopter 1 on the Police Channels but I could be wrong on that. Also I do not know where the aircraft base is but I would not be
surprised if it's not Newark Airport. Anyone that has info on this t would be appreciated.

Tony
Thanks for the info. I think it might be based outside of ewr. I know of one or two helo pads inside the city, dont know if its there. How long has it been flying this was the first time I saw it.

machocki

I'm pretty sure they got it in July. I go to school at NJIT so I constantly see it fly around the university heights district.

stvnd53

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Chopper is use to keep track of the Garbage Truck,the former Mayor bough with Homeland Security $$$$$$$$.Maybe it's on the DPW freq.?

ctrabs74

dconti said:
If they run that chopper like they run that department, look out!

Listen to Newark PD comms to see what I mean...

If you're talking about radio traffic congestion, then Newark has nothing on Paterson PD. Paterson PD radio makes Newark seem bucolic and quiet by comparison...

If you were referring to something else, then disregard the above...

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
stvnd53 said:
The Chopper is used to keep track of the Garbage Truck the former Mayor bought with Homeland Security $$$$$$$$. Maybe it's on the DPW freq?

I spit my coffee on the keyboarding when reading that one...

Joseph11

Seriously, what frequency does Newark DPW use? It's not in the DB.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Joe...

I have them on 159.105 DPL 271 ( Confirmed ) Also other Newark Services like Dog Control on Newark Fire 3 but on a different PL tone.

Tony

jaymatt1978

I have to quote something I have been told a long time ago and have taken it to heart. ALL helicopters have programmable radios in them. They can come up on any frequency known to man. So they probablly have ever frequency used in not just Newark but it the entire county as well..

scannersnstuff

not entirely true reference to justin's last post.
1>most aviation public safety radio's don't cover 800 mhz.and/or trunking.
2>most helicopter's do not have frequency agile radio's.most if not all public safety helicopter's do.there would be no need for a commercial helicopter to operate on any public safety fq.i don't even think that uscg helo's use public safety fq's even while interacting with a public safety agency.wether or not they even have the capability to do so remain's in question.
3>a lot of time's even med-evac helo's come into a l/z without even making contact with the l/z coordinator.this is because there is some type of misunderstanding as to who's on what frequency or pl tone.it is could be because the flight crew made a mistake in programing the frequency in.you would be surprised by the amount of agencies who cannot even give out the proper freq./tone info.for their agency.

ctrabs74

pdfdems286 said:
3>a lot of time's even med-evac helo's come into a l/z without even making contact with the l/z coordinator.this is because there is some type of misunderstanding as to who's on what frequency or pl tone.it is could be because the flight crew made a mistake in programing the frequency in.you would be surprised by the amount of agencies who cannot even give out the proper freq./tone info.for their agency.

In Chester County, Pa., with the 800 system in place there, most LZ ops do take place on the 800 mhz Inter-op/I-TAC channels; the flight services down here (PennSTAR, Medevac, and SkyCare) have 800 capabilities. I had a list somewhere of all the freqs programmed into Sky Flight Care's radio, but I don't have it with me at the moment; it covers a wide area including Pa., NJ, Del. and Md.

Can't really speak to Jersey that much, but I was under the impression that most counties had a standard LZ channel to coordinate with med-evac helos (similar to the South Jersey Net freq of 154.265). I guess once you head north of 195, it gets more confusing as to what channels to use (other than SPEN).

mredding

Premium Subscriber
I have heard NPD's chopper identify itself as "Airborne" on channel 1.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/07/09/nyregion/09newarkCA01ready.html

I believe the "N" Number is N12NP. The serial number matches that of a former US military 1973 Bell OH-58A Kiowa. It's like a JetRanger, only different. :)

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=12NP&cmndfind.x=7&cmndfind.y=12

EDIT: I guess I should link the article that picture came from too.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30617F93B540C7A8CDDAE0894DE404482

Last edited:

pdfdems286 said:
not entirely true reference to justin's last post.
1>most aviation public safety radio's don't cover 800 mhz.and/or trunking.

Both Global Wulfsburg and Technisonic make aviation radios that are actually motherboards and control hardware that drive XTS-5000 radios. You can custom configure those to just about any configuration. It's usually whatever they order them with. The VHF module in either is usually keypad programmable.

2>most helicopter's do not have frequency agile radio's.most if not all public safety helicopter's do.there would be no need for a commercial helicopter to operate on any public safety fq.i don't even think that uscg helo's use public safety fq's even while interacting with a public safety agency.wether or not they even have the capability to do so remain's in question.

Most of the coastie helos do have a frequency agile transceiver on VHF at least, along with their own secure communications. They also have UHF aviation band with other enhancements. I've heard various civil helicopters communicate with official helicopters on 123.025.

No I wouldn't. Radio is a mysterious black art, LOL!

jaymatt1978

Let me clarify pdfdems's last post is right the agencies sometimes don't know their own information, but that doesn't mean the hel-icopter couldn't operate on it. Rockland C ounty has a chopper and they have been down here. I haved heard them on SPEN1 so we know that's it's in their radio.
Towns in North Jersey usually use either SPEN 1 or SPEN4 to communicate with the medical helicopters.
Something else to consider,unlike pub lic safety radios which have ALL airband radios are tuneable meaning they can go on any frequencies from118-136. Most radio are not tunable. They have a set channel plan. You're right about the radiios, however why do I always hear STATflight ask for a frequency and PL when they respond to a scene?

SCANdal

Silent Key
jay'1978,

You are correct in that most ground radios (mobiles, bases, portables) are not "tunable" (thank goodness). But, as 902 suggested above, STaTFlight helicopters (as are most public safety aviation units) are equipped from among the following models of very frequency agile radios: http://www.wulfsberg.com/Flexcomm_Products.htm Special attention to the section under the caption CONTROL HEAD. Therefore, while the helicopters might, as you suggest, have preprogrammed a set channel(s) to talk to their dispatcher and common frequencies/PLs/DPLs used for LZs in their primary areas, they can field program into that same two-way radio just about any channel needed to talk to ground units to insure a safe landing at a scene of an emergency.

SCANdal

Last edited:

mondaro

Feed Provider
The Newark Police Helicopter while patrolling over the city and talking to the Newark Tower on the class B TCA Aircraft Frequency ID as 2 November Pop. Caught traffic today
while driving around the area and observing the Helicopter first hand for the first time. It is amazing what a new paint job can do for an old aircraft.

Tony

stangwill182

Premium Subscriber
lets not be too harsh on NPD, my father happens to be one of their finest, his office is actually right next door to the helicopters pilot office

mondaro

Feed Provider
No sir my message was not meant to be harsh at all the department purchased the second hand helicopter with homeland security funds. I have many friends on the Newark Police and I think it is a fine department.

We are trying to fined out the following so if you can ask your dad to ask the aviation unit the following.

1. Where is the helicopter based at ? City limits or the Airport.

2. What does the helicopter ID as on the Newark Police Radio System ?

3. What primary police channel do they monitor when they are patrolling / flying over
the city.

Thanks in advance for any help on the above.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.