Camden PD/DRPA-Frequency sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Today I tried picking up the Camden City PD, and the DRPA. I got both of them. The weird thing I noticed was that both frequencies had the same control channel. Is this possible. I was picking up traffic on both systems. I did notice another control channel interfering on Camden (866.7375 which my scanner said was an LTR system), but I'm wondering if this was some sort of mess up in the database, and the DRPA system was actually picking up Camden traffic.

fineshot1

This is confusing. They do not share any control channels. 866.7375 is channel 2 on the Camden City system but is not a control channel for either system(per the database).
Both systems are EDACS(again per the database) so not sure where you are getting the part about them being LTR. I am not from that area and am well out of range so can anyone else shed some light on this one?

EDIT: As an after thought its possible you are near another 800mhz transmitter tower and your scanners
receiver is being overloaded. If you are using a portable can you try this from another location?

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Oops!

Actually, I made a mistake in my last post. The frequency listed for both Camden and DRPA is 860.9875, and you will see it listed in the database as a control channel for both systems. Again, however, I was receiving a weaker control channel on the Camden system 866.7375. I have a Uniden 396, so what I did was try to identify this control channel by doing an 800MHz search using the control channel only function, and the scanner identified this control channel as an LTR system. So today I will search the database for this frequency in the Tri-State area. I was receiving Camden traffic with 860.9875 as the set control channel. I also was receiving traffic on the DRPA system with the same control channel showing, but again, I'm not sure if I was hearing Camden.

robbinsj2

The database's listing of primary and alternate control channels for EDACS is a bit misleading -- I believe the control channel can be any of the repeater channels. With Motorola systems the subscriber units only have the designated potential control channels programmed in (other channels are then calculated using the base/offset/step) but EDACS subscriber units must have all LCNs programmed in so they seem to scan them all until finding the control.

OP: LTR doesn't have a control channel, so it couldn't have been a LTR control channel interfering on Camden's 866.7375.

I'm guessing that 860.9875 does not "belong" to the Camden system. I suggest you check all the DRPA south frequencies conventionally to see which is the active control channel. Then check the Camden frequencies. If 860.9875 is a control channel at the moment, it belongs to whichever system does not have a control channel on another of its frequencies. If there is one control channel then try whatever you can to improve reception. If there are three control channels then you're SOL. If there are two and neither is 860.9875 then try removing 860.9875 from Camden and scanning both systems for a while. Pay attention to where you're actually hearing comms, whether on DRPA or Camden.

I think I heard years ago that the database entry for one of both of these systems had error(s), but I didn't pay much attention since I don't get down that way very often. Of course, Joe Cardani's e-book is the best resource for that region that I know of. If you're inclined to do any further research, following are the active trunked FCC licenses I found:
Camden = WQDC490, WQAF461, & WNWG655.
DRPA = WPXY839 & WQAV342.

Jim

robbinsj2

policefreak: I was in the middle of writing my reply when you followed-up.

Something there doesn't make sense. 800MHz search using control-channel-only mode? CCOM only affects Motorola systems, in that it allows you to skip programming all the non-control voice channels. It shouldn't aid in any band searches, nor determine what kind of a channel a frequency is. Further, as I mentioned above, LTR standard systems don't use control channels -- advanced LTR systems like Passport or Multinet may (I'm not familiar with them), but the 396 and all other scanners can't handle them.

Do a little trial-and-error experimentation, pulling 866.7375 & 860.9875 in and out of your Camden programming and seeing how well you still scan the system. Also check the other DRPA frequencies to see if another control channel is active on one of them. I'll bet that 860.9875 belongs to DRPA and that your 396 is scanning Camden by following the 866.7375 control channel.

Jim

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll try today and see what happens.

Oh, Jeez, I just solved the mystery. I just searched the database for 866.7375 in NJ and came up with Galloway Twp, Atlantic Co, control channel. 866.7375 I think belongs to Galloway Twp, because now that I remember, I did see "Site 26" show up on my scanner, so it all makes sense. Yet, that frequency also belongs to Camden or DRPA, whichever uses 860.9875 as their CC.

Last edited:

emoney

I have a quick question. I have a radioshack pro 96 and i am not able to pick up DRPA at all. Anyone know why. I live right in camden county mount ephraim??

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Did you put all the frequencies (LCN) in order? Also, make sure you use the North Simulcast, not the South Simulcast. The North system comes from Camden/Philadelphia while the south system comes from the commodore Barry Bridge near Delaware.

emoney

I am kinda new to the scanner world. But do have some experience. I programmed all the north and south in the same bank mode (ED) LCN? Also leaving the topic I am having a hard time picking up camden county fire channels as well as camden city fire channels. I am really confused. I even bought a radioshack model 20-043 antenna. It seems i have to be at the scene just to hear the action.

emoney

Ok i programmed in the north simulcast only am only receive 1105 08-101 D Philadelphia Police Inter-Op and 1315 10-043 A Philadelphia Police Traffic "T-Band" Patch. Weird how it wont pick up any other IDs huh

ctrabs74

emoney said:
Ok i programmed in the north simulcast only am only receive 1105 08-101 D Philadelphia Police Inter-Op and 1315 10-043 A Philadelphia Police Traffic "T-Band" Patch. Weird how it wont pick up any other IDs huh

That's because most of the TG's on the DRPA system are ProVoice digital, which can not be monitored by any scanner.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
emoney, which fire freq are you trying to listen to? I think Mount Ephraim fire responds and operates on 154.355. Keep in mind that the fire freqs are not on repeaters. It sucks, I know, but you'll only receive apparatus within about a 3-5 mile radius of where you are, even when dispatch is very strong. At the same time, I have picked responding camden city units as far east as Voorhees Twp.

emoney

I am listening to 154.35500 and 154.38500 which are north and south fire channels. It really sucks that i have to be right their just to listen to the action. I guess getting that 20-043 antenna was a waste of money

emoney

I guess that camden city would apply to that as well huh. Weird that camden city ems comes in great but not the fire response

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes, all EMS and police in Camden county are on repeaters, unless they are operating on South Jersey Net. Yes, Camden City Fire is not on a repeater, so their signal will be weaker. Actually, that antenna may not be such a bad investment if it good at RXing VHF. I think it just depends on where you are. If you live down in a gully, then fire apparatus will be very hard to hear, but if you put the antenna up on a roof, you should be good. Come to think of it, the other day I did hear Cherry Hill FD respond to an accident on 295, and I was using my portable with the stock antenna all the way down in Gloucester Twp. I was on the second floor of a building but the signal was coming in fairly clear.

emoney

Ok thanx for that info. I did infact install that antenna onto the roof last night. I only was able to get a 10ft mast though. Other then camden county everything else is coming in better then before. Especially the state police troop A

ctrabs74

emoney said:
OK then thanx. Why even post them in the database then

Probably for reference and the slight (but very unlikely) possibility that such groups could sneak an occasional analog transmission in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.