RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Mexico Radio Discussion Forum

New Mexico Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 9:46 PM

Smile Welcome

Welcome Kevin, I hear AFD dispatching and am wondering if there is anywhere to get a map of the ABQ Fire Boxes??

Ruben
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2011, 9:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I hear AFD dispatch and want to know what the fire box is???
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM

My understanding, it is a Main Intersection or a neighborhood, used for mapping. I may be wrong, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Wont be the first time ).
Old 10-15-2011, 2:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The fire box system is just a grid system used to narrow down a location on the map. I do not think it is posted anywhere online.
Old 10-15-2011, 8:33 PM

Smile Fire Box

Thats what i figured, with the many new streets in ABQ since I lived there 14yrs ago, It would be nice to know the main x-streets instead of trying to google the address. I'm a tarrable speller....lol.
Thx for the info.

Ruben
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2011, 2:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In addition to the Fire Box, they normally give the cross streets as well.
Old 10-16-2011, 9:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

And now I know. Thanks. They do normal give the cross streets too. Just always wanted to know what the fire box was. Anyways back on topic I am Dave been in New Mexico 10 years now most in Farmington and the last 6 months here in ABQ. I have always loved listening to local radio traffic, police fire ect. I just bought an LPE-200 with provoice to listen to ABQ and BCSO. I love the out doors and New Mexico is full of that. Don't own a scanner yet but have lots of Moto gear. Someday I am going to break down and buy a nice scanner I am sure.
Old 10-30-2011, 4:07 PM

Im Charles and although I I am former military I just got started with scanning. I began listening to police-fire transmissions on my cell phone and am now looking to pick up a regular scanner for the alb area. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced scanner?
Old 05-05-2012, 3:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq95 View Post
Im Charles and although I I am former military I just got started with scanning. I began listening to police-fire transmissions on my cell phone and am now looking to pick up a regular scanner for the alb area. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced scanner?
What are you wanting to scan? If you want to listen to APD, AFD, BCSO or BCFD you will need to buy a provoice radio and they are anywhere from $500 and up in cost. If you want to listen to Kirtland Air Force base (Boring) you will need a scanner that will do P25 and trunking Moto type II. If you wish to listen to state police or some of the other small cities and counties around any scanner should do the trick.

I listen to just about everything around here from APD to the gas company. So I guess you just need to figure out what you wish to listen too.
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2012, 9:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones87401 View Post
What are you wanting to scan? If you want to listen to APD, AFD, BCSO or BCFD you will need to buy a provoice radio and they are anywhere from $500 and up in cost. If you want to listen to Kirtland Air Force base (Boring) you will need a scanner that will do P25 and trunking Moto type II. If you wish to listen to state police or some of the other small cities and counties around any scanner should do the trick.

I listen to just about everything around here from APD to the gas company. So I guess you just need to figure out what you wish to listen too.
Where are Provoice radios available? Just for clarification, a Provoice radio is a commercial or public safety transceiver correct?

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Old 05-05-2012, 9:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
Where are Provoice radios available? Just for clarification, a Provoice radio is a commercial or public safety transceiver correct?
Yes its commercial radio. Send me an email if you want to buy one for yourself I can be of some help. I have helpped a few locals here get all set up.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM

I haven't logged in here in a long time. But, I'm back and hope to get more involved in this site more often.
I'm 42 years old and live in Rio Rancho.
One thing I would love to see is posted in the New Mexico forum is posted frequencies for B.I.A wx broadcasts.
I sold my old radio scanner to my dad. but, before I sold it one frequency I had programmed into it was some kind of ongoing wx forecasting broadcast for the Monzanos and maybe the Sandia Mountains as well. I had a notebook with the descriptions written down of the frequencies and for this one I think this was a B.I.A. or forest service one. I actually have a B.I.A wx frequency programmed into my new scanner for Santa Fe.
I don't know what happened to my old frequency list for my old scanner. I have tried to look on the internet and here for these kinds of wx channels, but I'm hitting a wall. I would love radioreference and it's wiki forum to publish these federal wx channels.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

During fire season, the State Forestry channel for the Cibola district has weather updates occasionally I believe?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM

My name is Dwane, I just moved to Jal. I transffered from the Hudson Correctional Facility in Hudson Co. and will be working in Hobbs at the Lea County Correctional Facility. I started listening to scanners in 2001, have no logical explanation other than I have an interest in law enforcement. I started in the hobby with a pro-92 and progressed through several scanners up to my current ones including a pro-106, pro-197, and the uniden homepatrol. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to program the Lea County area (EDACS), Being from Utah I'm familiar with trunk tracking (UCAN) and living in Colorado I became familiar with the DTRS system. Even in Colorado were some agencies had EDACS I always had a hard time figuring it out. Thanks in advance for your help, and I think I'm glad to be in Jal?
Old 02-14-2013, 7:33 AM
DataBase Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Dwane, welcome to New Mexico. Hopefully someone down in your neck of the woods can help you get the radio programmed. Have you tried running Unitrunker on the EDACS sytem that you can receive? If the DB is not correct, using it to program the radios won't help much. You can use Unitrunker to plot the system and figure out the channel lineup, then get it into the scanner and you should be set.
Rules and guidelines for forum post content
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2013, 8:39 PM

Default Hi everyone-my post(s) will take 24 hrs, but...

I am near Tesuque, was born in Albuquerque waaaaay back in the 70s and have lived all over CA and NM since then. My radios are a ratshack 433 and 92, and also use a Icom PCR100 (more for shortwave and finding weird freqs). My initial post and question was in regards to Santa Fe PD's car-to-car communications, which seem to be analog or....? something else?
Old 04-02-2013, 5:58 PM

Default Hello from Silver City!

Hi everybody! My Name is Erik and I'm from Silver City. I got into scanning during high school and I've been hooked ever since. I usually monitor police, sheriff, fire, and ems. I have in my collection of radios a Uniden BCD396-T, Uniden BCT-8 (in my vehicle). I have a question also. Our EMS department put up a new tower next to their station. I was wondering if they're switching to digital or something else? Nice to meet you all!
Old 04-25-2013, 5:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi, I'm Phil. My scanning is mostly due to my aviation enthusiast/spotter activities but I enjoy listing to Public Safety and Railroad activity as well. I'm using a BC125AT and love it, though in the future I'll upgrade to a digital trunking scanner. I'm a HAM as well, though haven't been active for a long while. CAP member as well. Soon I'll call the ABQ metro area home...again.

Last edited by ShyFlyer; 04-25-2013 at 7:17 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Greg from Albuquerque. Just found my Pro-95 in a closet. I don't remember the last time I used it. Before that, I had a different modified RS handheld around 1999 or so, but it was stolen and I lost interest.

I've had a couple CB radios over the years, but none now. I'm considering putting some kind of transceiver in my car, but there's limited space, and I'd like to remain low-profile. I may just get a Cobra remote mount CB and see how it goes before I spend significant coin. I just like to listen, anyway.

Whatever mobile device I go with would seldom be used unless I was on a road trip. I know from previous experience, this handheld is pretty much worthless for mobile unless I'm near a big city, and it's hard to step through the AM frequencies without driving off the road.

I might put a base scanner in the garage but there's a lot of noise in my house and am uncertain about an external antenna.
Old 05-21-2013, 7:42 AM
DataBase Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks for checking in Greg. Do you know what is creating the noise in your garage?
Rules and guidelines for forum post content

Tags