Santa Fe PD Car-to-Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesuque_77

The other night while monitoring the SF trunk system, a unit requested 'car-to-car' with another unit - would this be accomplished using a second, separate analog radio? I am somewhat out of town and could not scan their tx/rx during the car-to-car comm., although the trunk reception is good - if anyone has any info on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Santa Fe PD C-C

The other night while monitoring the SF trunk system, a unit requested 'car-to-car' with another unit - would this be accomplished using a second, separate analog radio? I am somewhat out of town and could not scan their tx/rx during the car-to-car comm., although the trunk reception is good - if anyone has any info on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was monitoring this system during November of 2011. Then, they were making changes in the operating frequencies or something. One day, when I was visiting, I observed a SFPD running hot in the downtown area. My radio went completely silent & was not trunking anything.

I returned to my motel and programmed all of the operating frequencies. Afterward, I was able to hear them again.

So, I don't know who is responsible for updating the RR DB for this city, but there is always the possibility that the all of the talk groups have not been included.

Other than getting inside information for the SFPD, an unlikely occurrence, you might run Wildcards to see if there are other PD talk groups. At present, I don't see any "talk" or "C-C" talk groups listed.

Sometimes, when C-C transmissions occur, particularly in larger cities, you might not hear them at all. Some C-C transmissions don't always go through repeaters. I'm also not ruling out C-C transmissions for older radios and/or VHF non-trunking transmissions. You might find them talking in search mode.

That is my response. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tesuque_77

Ok - thanks!

...there are more than a few IDs that have been found that are not listed on the SF Public Safety site (some are below with notes as to their possible association-the notes are <i>very</i> tentative:)
<br>
3536-paratransit?<br>
3568<br>
4560<br>
8912<br>
5552<br>
3344<br>
4560-city building workers?<br>
6224-parks?<br><br>

Your response makes sense, and abqscan does a great job with this site so he may have some ideas as to what those IDs could be and car/car comm. as well. For the analog idea I will drag out my old Regency (10 channel-ha!) with a big outdoor antenna and see what it finds. Thanks again, ensnared!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Submission

...there are more than a few IDs that have been found that are not listed on the SF Public Safety site (some are below with notes as to their possible association-the notes are <i>very</i> tentative:)
<br>
3536-paratransit?<br>
3568<br>
4560<br>
8912<br>
5552<br>
3344<br>
4560-city building workers?<br>
6224-parks?<br><br>

Your response makes sense, and abqscan does a great job with this site so he may have some ideas as to what those IDs could be and car/car comm. as well. For the analog idea I will drag out my old Regency (10 channel-ha!) with a big outdoor antenna and see what it finds. Thanks again, ensnared!

I forgot to ask what scanner you're using to monitor this system. I own a GRE PSR 500 that allows me to load "Wildcards" into the system.

I have a separate scan list for Wildcards when I'm attempting to find new talk groups on an older system. On a new system, I might load Wildcards with an emerging system in order to "store" these into my memory.

Once you discover new talk groups, you might then submit them to the Radio Reference database.

I used to own two Regency Scanners, the HX 1500 & MX 7000. One still works while the other died from keyboard malfunction.

Good luck.

tesuque_77

The Regencys were always good...

...although mine is much older (k100-even has the faux woodgrain finish and everything)

My main scanner is a RS Pro-433. It does not support wildcards but continously searches IDs while scanning trunk and conv. freqs., so it finds new ones in the same group--used to have a GRE 300 but had to sell it last year-they make a nice radio but don't remember wildcards on that model.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Car 2 Car

When I worked at SFPD in 90's Car 2 Car was on the 800 mhz system but did not go through the repeater. The distance was greater than line of sight but wasn't always reliable. Plug the non-control channel frequencies into your backup scanner and you are bound to hear something if the units are in your area when they go car 2 car. I live in Colorado Springs now so I can't help on active talkgroups. Hope that helps :)
Tim

tesuque_77

I will give it a try...

My little Nascar handheld receives 800mhz, but does not do trunking, so this should be perfect -- will give that a shot next time I'm near downtown.

I wonder how they prevent those particular comms from going through the repeater? Can the radios switch modes?

Anyway thank you for the advice - any info discovered will be posted.

Thanks again!

milcom_chaser

When I worked at SFPD in 90's Car 2 Car was on the 800 mhz system but did not go through the repeater. The distance was greater than line of sight but wasn't always reliable. Plug the non-control channel frequencies into your backup scanner and you are bound to hear something if the units are in your area when they go car 2 car. I live in Colorado Springs now so I can't help on active talkgroups. Hope that helps :)
Tim

You will need the following freqs:

Ch.2 Car to Car is TG 80

milcom_chaser

My little Nascar handheld receives 800mhz, but does not do trunking, so this should be perfect -- will give that a shot next time I'm near downtown.

I wonder how they prevent those particular comms from going through the repeater? Can the radios switch modes?

Anyway thank you for the advice - any info discovered will be posted.

Thanks again!

You will need a TRUNKING CAPABLE scanner other wise it will NOT be perfect...

tesuque_77

By -perfect-, I just meant since the other scanner (handheld) would work for listening to analog freqs on 800mhz.

My main scanner is a trunk tracker and does receive SFPD and other groups (fire, bus, etc) with no problems.

I was only wondering how the officers prevent select comms from going through a repeater (during car to car...)

milcom_chaser

By -perfect-, I just meant since the other scanner (handheld) would work for listening to analog freqs on 800mhz.

My main scanner is a trunk tracker and does receive SFPD and other groups (fire, bus, etc) with no problems.

I was only wondering how the officers prevent select comms from going through a repeater (during car to car...)

Since it's a trunk system, it's all repeater. The dispatcher can still come up on any of the channels.

-Lance

tesuque_77

ok - thanks for the info - most likely the c2c was simply too far away for me to receive, but dispatch and others come through great

thx again!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Ok, milcomm chaser said that the car to car channel is TG 80 meaning its part of the trunk system. If you can hear/follow any TG on the TRS, you can hear The TG in question. If you can't, you might have it locked out of the radio.

Also, keep trying to ID the unknown TG's!!!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
C2C

You will need the following freqs:

Ch.2 Car to Car is TG 80

Thank you for the information. Although the alpha tag does not read this, I will make changes in my tags so that I will know this. Much appreciated!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I updated TG 80's description in the DB to reflect that is their car-to-car channel.

tesuque_77

No lockouts - all traffic is received and 80 comes through with no problems.

Since no traffic was heard after the officer stated "Go to car to car", I assumed they were using something other than 80 (channel 2). Thanks all for your help with this!

A few more notes on those unknown IDs:

3536-transit/paratransit (sounds similar to traffic on 7248/7480-trailways bus svc.)
3568-transit/paratransit (sounds similar to traffic on 7248/7480-trailways bus svc.)
4560-UNKNOWN
8912-city building maint. workers
5552-UNKNOWN
3344-parking lots-enforcement
4560-city building maint. workers
6224-parks department

tesuque_77

Updates to unidentified TG IDs in Santa Fe

in numerical order...

1920-police/family services
3344-parking/shuttle service
3536-transit/paratransit
3568-transit/paratransit
4560-city building workers
5552-street cleaning/trash service
6224-park services
6576-city maintenance
8912-city maintenance

these are still tentative, but the traffic seems consistent--1920 was discovered just this last week

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Thanks for the updates. I added them to the DB. If you discover any specific names or uses for these TG's or any more new ones, let me know!

tesuque_77

thanks - I was actually hesitant to make an official submission to the database until these were verified (somehow...) 1920 sounds like police, but with a focus on youth/family svc. and 3536/68 traffic match that of the Trailways bus sys. I just want to make sure everyone knows these aren't official IDs (which was why the forum was used)

I was thinking of checking with the local newspaper(s) -- they usually have someone with a scanner on their desk, and might know more about these groups.

thanks abqscan!

Status
Not open for further replies.