Proper Scanner For ABQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Ok, maybe "proper" is a matter of taste, but I'm looking at trunking scanners since I'll be moving to the ABQ area soon. Now, if I read the note on the DB page for the area correctly, APD, BCSO, can't be listened to at all. So, essentially, a digital trunking scanner is overkill since I'll only be able to listen to the analog talkgroups?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
There are other agencies that use Digital in ABQ so I wouldn't say a digital scanner is overkill. I personally think not having a digital scanner will hinder your future monitoring needs.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, I completely forgot about the agencies that aren't trunked but have gone digital. Thanks.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
And besides local LE, there is a lot of stuff that has not been ID'd yet.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
APD and BCSO you can listen too you just need a Provoice radio to that. The nice thing with Ma/Com radios is that you can program a trunking system and disable TX so the radio becomes just a scanner. Its how I do the feed and its how I listen with my handheld radios. Unlike Motorola radios its no so easy to make them just a scanner on a Motorola Trunking system. I do have to agree with EriK though a digtal scanner I think is a must. Slowly everyone is making the switch and there is more and more digtal traffic now days.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
APD and BCSO you can listen too you just need a Provoice radio to that. The nice thing with Ma/Com radios is that you can program a trunking system and disable TX so the radio becomes just a scanner. Its how I do the feed and its how I listen with my handheld radios.
Yeah, I don't even want to know the price of such a radio. lol

I went ahead and picked up BCD396XT. I've got it programmed and I'll know by tomorrow if I did it right. At least I'll be able to listen to Kirtland's system now.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I think most of Kirtland is secure i know there is some non-secure stuff but not really that fun to listen too. I know I have not listened to them in over a year now lol. You might be suprised what a provoice radio goes for. The one I use for the feed was $395 off ebay, the one in my truck $500 and my portable well that was 400 bucks. But I have seen some deals now and then. I have helped a few people here get one and set up so if you ever want to chat more let me know. How does your scanner work did you get it programed right?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The scanner works very well! Freescan is an amazing application.

I programmed the Kirtland TRS based on the info found in the DB here and I've heard nothing but silence.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I think they have moved to a new system not sure if the data base has been updated. Erik should know more about that i do recall some talks about that on here awhile back

SCPD

QRT
Out of curiosity I read before the system can be heard as far as Socorro. Is this true? Has anyone heard it down to las cruces? What radio besides the lpe200 would you recommend to scan with?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I have picked up the system driving up north from Socorro. I do not know what site is giving the awesome range (sandia crest??). There is no way you would be able to pick up the signal in Las Cruces. Any commercial radio that decodes EDACS with Provoice will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.