From page 3 of the Southwest Area Mobilization Guide at:
http://tinyurl.com/br643

New Mexico BLM
168.525 Albuquerque District
168.500 Roswell District
168.575 Las Cruces District
169.650 Socorro District
168.525 Farmington District

Many other frq. lists for NM and AZ and W. Texas there too.

SCPD

QRT
For clarification when you look at the site Mick posted you are in the Lincoln Zone right on the line between Lincoln West and Lincoln east. See this link:

http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/about/zones.htm

You are obviously in the Roswell BLM Field Office area.

I think what the BLM was talking about when they mentioned a statewide repeater system is exactly what Mick mentioned. I would not think they were alluding to another system such as a statewide fire or law enforcement system. The BLM state office in Arizona has a statewide law enforcement net and is used by BLM Rangers no matter what field office area they are in. So it is possible that they were alluding to some other system we don't know about. In what context and venue was this told to you?

I lived in New Mexico during my career with the U.S. Forest Service and the BLM radio systems have not changed much since. I think they were using burst tones to access repeaters then. Yes it has been that long since I lived in NM, as it was 1978 through 1981.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
I've listened to thoes freq last summer in Silver City. Kinda boring, but no fires going. I havn't got to hear them when a fire is going, Thank God *knocks on wood*.

SCPD

QRT
I just looked up the current administrative boundaries for the BLM in New Mexico and Hobbs is in the Carlsbad Field Office of the Pecos District. This information does not match well with the radio information that Mick provided. That said I believe the local frequency will be the same as the one listed with the Roswell District. There is also a BLM field station in Hobbs, which is a kind of satellite organization under the Field Office. Just in case anyone cares the BLM is organized into 12 state offices, with 11 of them being in the west. Under the state offices there are Districts, and then under Districts there are Field Offiices or Resource Areas, and in a few cases there are field stations, when a significant workoad exists in a location that is a significant distance from a Field Office.

Some BLM and National Forest radio systems can be boring for many. Since I worked for the Forest Service I find the radio traffic very interesting as I can discern from the traffic what the workload is like for the local jurisdiction I'm listening to. Since I've done much of the work I find what other Forests, National Parks, BLM Districts, and National Wildlife Refuges to be fasciinating. I just love to travel and camp and listen to not only the federal natural resource agencies but the state agencies as well. Some BLM Districts and National Forests have a lot of action. The Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests as well as the California Desert District of the BLM can be very action packed at times. Listening to Yosemite National Park is very interesting due to the amount of visitation and the concentration of people in the Yosemite Valley. To those of use on the other end of the radio system our work was rarely boring. In my entire career I can remember about four 2 hour periods during some afternoons when I didn't feel challenged.

When a large fire starts on any natural resource agency jurisdiction it is best to have listened during those "boring" times in order to understand procedure and how the radio system works. As with any other radio system you cannot gain the knowledge of the system at the time you most need it, rather, you need to have a measure of practice under your belt when a disaster starts.

I have a former co-worker I just talked with weeks ago and I now see that he has returned to New Orleans for his 4th 21-day tour there, with his first being a little over 48 hours after Katrina passed through the city. He is a member of a National Type I ICS incident management team and is the Communications Unit Leader on the team. He has some very interesting observations about FEMA and the feds response to the disaster. None of his observations surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.