Scanners needed for TV production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My name is Raquel and I work for a TV show called Longmire in Santa Fe, and I was wondering if you could help me. We really needed some police scanners for one episode of the show, and we were hoping to find someone who would be willing to rent them to us. Can you help me?

Thank you in advance

Raquel

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I love the show! I hope the scanners aren't used in a negative point of view. I don't want to see Walt chasing bad guys who are listening to them with scanners!

No, they will be used in a good way. They will be placed at a character's house who wants to become a police officer :) do you know a place where I could rent some scanners? Or someone who would be willing to rent them to us? My email is: raquel.vencovsky@gmail.com
I would be more than happy if you could at least give me a direction
Thank youu!

Raquel

scanchs

Scanners for Longmire

No, they will be used in a good way. They will be placed at a character's house who wants to become a police officer :) do you know a place where I could rent some scanners? Or someone who would be willing to rent them to us? My email is: raquel.vencovsky@gmail.com
I would be more than happy if you could at least give me a direction
Thank youu!

Raquel

Hi Raquel,

Longmire is the best show EVER! I was very happy to hear it got picked up by Netflix. I can't wait for season 4 to begin!

Here's an idea for a source of scanners for the show. There is a user who hangs out in the Uniden Forums named UPMan. He is Paul Opitz, the Uniden Product Manager for scanner and CB products at Uniden America. You might try leaving him a post in the Uniden Prospective Owners sub-forum telling him about this opportunity to showcase the Uniden product line on Longmire. I suspect he has a budget for projects like this, and he may be willing to loan or even give you some scanners for the advertising value. Hey, if you're lucky, he may even be a fan of the show! Good luck! :)

ScanCHS

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Ive got several sitting in my shop you can use

Give me an email

Fowler

Voyager

If you want a professional source, look into one of the companies that rent them for NASCAR use. I see no reason why they would not rent them as props.

SCPD

QRT
Can I assume that season 4 is going to happen after all? Good news! I have some issues with how some of law enforcement is depicted. However, this is a show about rural law enforcement and I welcome a cop show that is not about New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and L.A. I lived in New Mexico earlier in my life and treasure the time I was able to do so. I recognize many of the locations.

Last edited:

karldotcom

I believe "Longmire" is supposed to be somewhere in Eastern Wyoming, near Montana and adjacent to an Indian Reservation

Of course, it is filmed in New Mexico to take advantage of the production tax credits.

Seems New Mexico is the New Hollywood.

SCPD

QRT
I believe "Longmire" is supposed to be somewhere in Eastern Wyoming, near Montana and adjacent to an Indian Reservation

Of course, it is filmed in New Mexico to take advantage of the production tax credits.

I saw a post on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) that the county the show is based on is Sheridan County, Wyoming. This county has a portion of the Bighorn National Forest in it and its northern boundary is the Montana-Wyoming state line. It is located near the centerline (east-west) portion of the state. There are occasional scenes where the characters travel to Montana in relatively short periods of time, so this mythical Absaroka County is likely on this border as well. There aren't any indian reservations in Sheridan County and the nearest Cheyenne Reservation is northeast of the country in Montana and has 3 or four large counties in between. There aren't any indian reservations in the northern 1/3 portion of the state either. The Absaroka Mountain range is real and forms some of the southeast boundary of Yellowstone National Park. The range is located west of Cody, more accurately southwest of Wapiti, Wyoming. This is in the western portion of the state and not the east. The eastern portion of Wyoming does not have as mountainous terrain as the western portion and I would liken it as high grassland/sage hilly and flatland terrain, without mountains or forests. It resembles much of South Dakota and northern Kansas.

Like much of the show details are vague. I posted on a thread on the IMDB my disappointment with how law enforcement is inaccurately depicted on the show. Some shows are very factual, but sometimes it can detract from the storytelling. In this case the errors are glaring. It appears that the writers and producers have not lived in a rural area at all or at least in a very long time. I'm speaking of remote, rural areas in the west and not the outskirts of Ashville, North Carolina or upstate New York.

One area that is particularly inaccurate is the uniforms of the sheriff and the deputies. Law enforcement officers know that wearing the uniform correctly is needed to project authority and if they don't they are going to have a hard time managing incidents. Law enforcement officers and nearly all firefighters/paramedics have their shirts cleaned and pressed at luandaries. They have a creases place at the midpoint between the sleeves and the buttons and down the center of the sleeves. I lived in small, isolated western counties since 1978 and even in the mid 70's observed deputy sheriff's officers in sparsely populated areas of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico wearing their uniform professionally and properly. The only time I've ever observed a law enforcement officer wearing jeans was 3-4 days out in a National Forest wilderness in central Idaho on horseback returning from the scene of a small aircraft crash. He had to pull the wreckage apart to recover body parts. He rode in with regular uniform pants.

They also show procedures in traffic stops, building entry and handcuffing that would get officers killed, such as, handcuffing prisoners in front as opposed to behind their backs. If that was not enough they show them riding in the back seats of patrol cars not equipped with prisoner transport cages. How quickly can a suspect lift his arms above the driver's seat, place a choke hold on the officer's neck with their cuffed hands and kill the officer? Probably twice in the time it takes to read this sentence.

I wish I could find out where the structure used to depict Walt's home is. It looks like the west or northwest portion of the Valles Caldera and if one was standing on his porch looking out on the meadow it would be in a easterly or slightly southeasterly direction. I have a picture in my mind of a building I've seen somewhere in that area and the red colors strike a bell. It isn't like many of the older structures at Valles Caldera where the logs look like most older, non-maintained cabins do, grey or almost black. I've traveled around a lot of northern New Mexico, but not as extensively as in the southern portion of the state, especially the wonderfully isolated southwest quarter of the state. I've not traveled to the area east of the mountain ranges on the east side of the Rio Grande River valley in the Taos area so "Walt's home" could be in that area. The filming locations listed on the show's IMDB sites are not specific enough to figure this out, and mention Red River and Eagle Nest, places I've not gotten to yet. Red River and Eagle Nest are quite a distance from Valles Caldera.

Last edited:

Phreakin318

Hi,

My name is Raquel and I work for a TV show called Longmire in Santa Fe, and I was wondering if you could help me. We really needed some police scanners for one episode of the show, and we were hoping to find someone who would be willing to rent them to us. Can you help me?

Thank you in advance

Raquel

so what is your company and contact information? just sounds kinda fishey. seems a company produceing movies would have there own props and could definitly purchase a few old used scanners if need.

Phreakin318

She posted her contact info.

yes an email address is all i see. google that email address and see for yourself. it's a scam they were asking for 30+ cb or ham radios on another forum. HAM + CB Radios |

and seriously LONGMIRE is the show, not a produceing company. if anyone wants to give away there stuff, i would be willing to accept them. at least it would not be resold . if it was legit they would not sound like there begging as a production company has the funds to buy used scanners or props off of ebay very very cheap. they would not use the beg approach and would list the company name,address,and landline contact numbers.

SCPD

QRT
Due to lower traffic volumes on many state and county highways in New Mexico it is easier to film there than it is in California where traffic volumes are very high. They can keep a road closed longer and don't need the kind of highway patrol/department of transportation support they need in more populated areas. Some county and state highways in the area of New Mexico I lived in had traffic counts of 1-5 cars per hour and on country roads could be as few as 5-10 cars in 24 hours. Some two lane National Forest roads might only have 5-10 cars in a week.

New Mexico has a cap on the amount of production costs that incentives apply to. California now has no production cost cap and the total amount of tax incentives offered has risen and is in the several hundred billions. They are trying to draw back productions that were lost in earlier years. Production costs for closing roads, closing areas to the public for days at a time and such are higher in California because more law enforcement and private security must be present. I was involved in a couple of major feature film productions on National Forest land in California and as is the case in most areas costs for agency personnel needed at filming sites is born by the production. One movie filmed on a ranger district I worked on needed a fence removed at a developed recreation site and we authorized the site being closed in the middle of the summer, but required the fence to be replaced, even in areas out of camera range, with a much higher standard fence than was there prior to the filming.

In New Mexico had I found filming in progress on National Forest lands where they didn't have a commercial filming permit (depending on location) I may have let them continue once they had evidence of liability insurance coverage. In California I shut two productions down and told them they could not come back at all. The areas had far too much public use to permit filming until late fall if at all. One company had the gall to tell people they had to vacate a part of a campground. Of course it took about 10 minutes for the visitors to reach our ranger station and I didn't bat an eye when I told them to pack up immediately. On another occasion I was on patrol and observed a back-up of cars, then discovered that a film production company had closed a road. I took down the their traffic barriers before they could pick up their cameras. Some on location production staff received citations immediately thereafter and some administrative penalties were put in place as well, such as "your company can't come back to this National Forest, all 2 million acres of it, for 5 years" or similar. We turned down some proposals because they depicted resource damaging 'activities/behaviors or misrepresented the Forest Service itself or its mission.

Dont get the wrong impression either, filming was common on the National Forests in California I worked on. This for commercials, documentaries and major feature films. When the companies came in with their plans early we would bend over backwards to accommodate them as they gave a good boost to the local economy and we knew we had some of the best scenery in the country. The eastern Sierra has been the location for a lot of major movies.

However, as great as the scenery is in many places in California there are unavoidable costs that are higher here than in New Mexico counties such as Catron, Lincoln, Taos and Colfax, to name a few.

Tax incentives or not, New Mexico has been the location for many films and TV shows because of the incredible scenery. It is one state where the motto on vehicle license plates lives up to the words, "Land of Enchantment." It is hard to explain and takes a few months or years of living there to understand this. The Sange de Cristo (blood of Christ) Mountains are named such for their appearance at sunset when the skies are clear. In addition the diverse native american and several century old hispanic cultures are a hard setting to beat.

Last edited:

Blackswan73

It is good to be suspicious, but in this case, maybe you should have researched deeper. She is legit. She is a set designer for the series. Her name is really Raquel Vencovsky Da Penha. She also has a Facebook page

Spada Films & Co.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phreakin318

It is good to be suspicious, but in this case, maybe you should have researched deeper. She is legit. She is a set designer for the series. Her name is really Raquel Vencovski Da Penha. She also has a Facebook page

Spada Films & Co.

where is a good contact number and address for the company? never can be to sure of something as anyone can use any names on the internet.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
No, they will be used in a good way. They will be placed at a character's house who wants to become a police officer :) do you know a place where I could rent some scanners?

A bunch of scanner's at a wannabe cop's house? End well this will not. lol.
Get some scanners made in the past decade. I know the budget can be tight but don't go the cheap route and get some old crystal scanners from the 70's or 80's. It will make the character look like a whacker.

Uniden 396XT
Uniden BCD436HP

Are my top choices for a scanner to put on the show. They look like this:

10-501358-2.jpg

7WEqpBI.jpg

Also, make sure your prop guy puts in ACTUAL cop frequencies and not some random crap. Tell your prop guy to come on this website and check out the radio database. Look for the location of the town in the show. Put in the ACTUAL cop frequencies that the character would hear. How cool would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.