New Mexico building a 700 MHz system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0626/DA-15-760A1.pdf
6. Furthermore, New Mexico demonstrated that, having purchased the required equipment, it is now prepared to provide substantial service to one-third of its population. New Mexico also states that it is aggressively working to formulate a state-wide land mobile radio modernization plan in which the 700 MHz public safety band will play a key role. Once the purchased equipment and systems are deployed, New Mexico will provide substantial service to over 39% of its population.

ULS Application - 0006843507 - NEW MEXICO, STATE OF - Attachments

nd5y

So....is this the beginnings of a state-wide TRS?
I thought maybe that was the case until I read everything after my original post.

Read this. https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=19696083&attachmentInd=applAttach

700 MHz State Licenses require that the state must provide "substantial service" to at least 1/3 of the state's population by June 13, 2014.
They failed to meed the buildout requirement and notify the FCC and almost had the license cancelled. They got a waiver for more time.
Right now they are only putting up one 700 MHz conventional repeater on Sandia Crest on 769.95625 to make the FCC happy.

It also says they are planning a statewide network where "700 MHz could be a key asset" whatever that means.

SCPD

QRT
It'll take time. Like I said in other posts for now they'll stay vhf and conventional. They planned to roll out 700 mhz phase 1 systems in populated areas such as flatlands using vhf as fall back and mountain terrains. Basically the goal was to push smaller cities to join it. This is still the plan once they can get money for it. They planned on pushing the following cities on it getting them to join it after they had already spent tons upgrading vhf equipment for phase 1 conventional,

Roswell
Farmington
Carlsbad
Artesia
Deming
Lordsburg
Tularosa
Alamogordo
T or C
Elephant Butte
NMSP
NM Med channels
Clovis
Sana Fe/sf county
Rio Rancho
Sunland Park
Anthony NM
NMDOT
NM Parks
Hsd
cyfd
Dmv
MTD

They expected those to sign on to a phase 1 trs once a system was built out. But many or all had already upgraded to modern phase 1 vhf equipment. Then the actual site buildings and upgrades ran out of money. Not to mention Roswell and Alamogordo have spent in millions as is upgrading to microwaved voting systems and upgrading current vhf phase 1 to newer phase 1 conventional sites with option to use vhf trunked later down road. Basically nobody talks to anyone. It is going to be like the old days one hand spends this way other that way the right foot goes left the left goes right. It'll be a waste of money later once it happens many going to it as they all have upgraded and added to current newer vhf platforms. It will cause the state to tighten it's budget more and cut jobs. As is they already cut many police positions across the state to tighten budgets.

Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Waste of money is our state motto, didnt you know?

Just like the 9 brand new P25 VHF mobile radios i still have sitting in boxes because they put brand new analog only ones in the 9 new units... units that also have a $500 scanner installed so we can HEAR the areas already using P25.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber

Just like the 9 brand new P25 VHF mobile radios i still have sitting in boxes because they put brand new analog only ones in the 9 new units... units that also have a $500 scanner installed so we can HEAR the areas already using P25.
Is NMSP still using the satellite on their patrol vehicles?

SCPD

QRT

You mean the 3 I have sitting dusty with proposed future use that has yet to be determined and are technically obsolete? Next to the new fancy 7000 that is for "future use". What makes me laugh is the same thing happened long ago. The state started installing vhf equipment and extenders then ran out of money after pushing issue. Then switched the setup to a entirely different vendor and project. I see the same happening here. Most municipalities already spent x amounts upgrading the vhf platforms to a decent working network. Most counties have also. There's a few who push to stay analog then decided we better get a capable digital setup. Meanwhile everyone around them is analog p25 ready or in use they decide to buy repeaters and portables with trbo. I asked about it and comment was we won't use digital but it's there incase. Yeah there to a different direction. Someone didn't do homework. The state is expecting allot of municipalities to join in and share the costs upfront or at initial launch. I highly doubt it'll happen. The plan was for 700 in reasonable flat terrains and keeping the vhf for the hills on p25 format. I see a big cluster happening as it has before several times. They should have been working on this well before everyone already spent tons on vhf voip and voting systems and equipment. I should add the initial comment was "were just waiting for everyone to get on".

SCPD

QRT
Is NMSP still using the satellite on their patrol vehicles?

Yes for the mdt (computers) sms and gps. Dispatching is hardly ever used in some districts (on the sat). It has mainly become a mdt use for sms, alerts, gps, ncic, Dmv records etc through the sat. That idea was "silent dispatching" when secure comms were needed. This is hardly used in some districts and many just use the radio for everything, some areas the sat signal is as bad as the dead open sky deal others had with data and voice of dispatch. There focusing now on this 700 deal with secure capabilities. The old white domes have been in process of being replaced phased out with modern low profile sat antennas. The older units will keep them (old white death domes) until the car is thrown to auction. If it has life low miles and has a dome it'll be sent in after the new fleet vehicles are setup to have the low profile installed and the dome thrown out.

I should add the new units coming out of Santa Fe and Alb look like a disaster underneath the consoles. One tech putting this in, another that, the sat vendor putting it's stuff in. Some consoles are maxed out with radios. Some never used at all. Basically everything in those cars was a proposed project at one time to make comms secure, better, reliable and upgrade to latest technology. Yet it all sits and they want to have a new reliable setup.

Some areas are using xts extender portables while allot are still ht1000s. It's been a mix and match since they messed with it all back in the 80s to this point and I don't see it changing. Oh let's not forget the 2 handfuls of kenwood and icom analog portables used for the vrs floating around with nxdn digital boards most newer and will have to be replaced like most of it. The idea is dual or all band /\/\ radios on newer units rolling out. Whatever works or can be used that's current to do p25 will be kept and used as is. Mix and match to save. Pfff.

Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
You mean the 3 I have sitting dusty with proposed future use that has yet to be determined and are technically obsolete? Next to the new fancy 7000 that is for "future use". What makes me laugh is the same thing happened long ago...

It really doesnt help that nobody ever talks to anyone else before just pushing ahead with their own plans. State agencies are supposed to do contracting thru DOIT under state General Services... except several agencies (DPS, DOT for example) have their own in-house IT/Telecom departments who don't talk to anyone else. OR, in my case, its a PRC agency who does their own thing, because F everybody, the PRC doesnt answer to anyone else.

I dont even know how badly things are screwed up IT/Telecom wise in the 3 months i'm gone. I've already had to deal with a few things, like ordering equipment related to our new LTE modems, and explaining to the radio install vendor to completely ignore the cluster*** of instructions on the new cars and install things correctly as they know how.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
...Whatever works or can be used that's current to do p25 will be kept and used as is. Mix and match to save. Pfff.

And dont forget, now that NMSP and the DPS affiliated agencies are merging or absorbing each other, or whatever the hell they're describing it as, theres going to be an even larger mess.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I have not been to N.M. in sometime and was wondering if the NMSP was using the 'Old White Domes.' I always thought was strange looking.

Does anyone know if Hobbs/Lea County gone to P25 yet?

SCPD

QRT
I have not been to N.M. in sometime and was wondering if the NMSP was using the 'Old White Domes.' I always thought was strange looking.

Does anyone know if Hobbs/Lea County gone to P25 yet?

Yes SP has them but are slowly switching out to low profile sat antennas, they been trying to match the color of car wherd the antenna is installed. Lea is in process and has been testing on and off. They got the purchases in for a couple towers at end of fiscal year in July. So things are being worked on to get everything 100 percent. I'm surprised nobody that way has been looking for activity. The techs have been secure. Mostly everything that way will be secure. Dispatch last I was informed would remain clear for interop purposes (but could be secured of need arose by users in a situation called for) and fire all clear. Uhf med will be used by outside transports but the medics and county med units will have talkgroups for ambulance to hospital. I believe those will be secured. The patches from outsiders in will be in clear.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Yes SP has them but are slowly switching out to low profile sat antennas, they been trying to match the color of car wherd the antenna is installed. Lea is in process and has been testing on and off. They got the purchases in for a couple towers at end of fiscal year in July. So things are being worked on to get everything 100 percent. I'm surprised nobody that way has been looking for activity. The techs have been secure. Mostly everything that way will be secure. Dispatch last I was informed would remain clear for interop purposes (but could be secured of need arose by users in a situation called for) and fire all clear. Uhf med will be used by outside transports but the medics and county med units will have talkgroups for ambulance to hospital. I believe those will be secured. The patches from outsiders in will be in clear.

Are you telling me that only HPD dispatch will be in the clear and the rest secured.

SCPD

QRT
The primary dispatch for county and the 2 towns will be in clear for interop, as all the fire will be in clear. I do believe the fire will have access to a secure talk group for admin stuff but ops and tacs for fire will be clear. Dispatch talk groups will be open. As for your swat, tactical special events, detectives, admin, will be secured.

SCPD

QRT
If you look here, another once said in another post elsewhere SP only has uhf vrs. I've said few times they have used various vrs extender setups. As you can see here a vhf extender portable ht1000 unit is being
utilized.

https://youtu.be/5i6oHI2qPF8

At one point some 800 mhz extenders were being used on specific setups in North NM.

CC1309

I know Hobbs/Lea County is still working on their stuff. My understanding is the Jal and Tatum freqs will swap. Not sure when the full P25 trigger will be pulled, been told everything from this past February to October this year. Have heard mixed on the encryption as well. I guess we'll figure it out when the trigger gets pulled.

I noticed everything around our area has the 700 stuff mentioned, but nothing for Lea Co. Is there plans for it?

SCPD

QRT
Lea county will have talkgroups on the system. As for states it will be a seperated one if it ever comes around. Don't hold breath on it. I wouldn't be surprised if just 700 conventional ends up being used in allot areas for state. Lea county will keep the vhf as they always have for fire grounds and paging simulcasting for the vol fire depts. Like said the secure stuff will be applied to anything other then your normal dispatch. Fire stuff will all be clear but have a secure talkgroup when needed. The law and fire will have ability to secure by user choice or dispatch end on dispatch channels if needed came to be during a situation or event. Like many towns or agencies there is users or admins who watch this site. The whole secure issue came to be due to the stand off situation where the suspect was listening to dispatch and a simplex tac channel not in db. Other incidents in past also made the want for it. No conspiracy as some believe. Just facts. The state will also have secure capabilities when the 700 plan is fully going.

SCPD

QRT
I wonder if Dona Ana County and Las Cruces will be involved in this new system?

City of Cruces has been investing in Harris p25 compliant equipment capable of edacs and doing p25 later down road. Dona Ana has been looking at dual banders last I heard so they can interop with city. By looks they'll keep vhf. The state was expecting people to jump on but they waited too long. Everyone has been migrating to or getting ready for p25 conventional vhf in numerous areas. Most can't even afford the TRS leasing. A couple nearly broke back getting digital voting systems the last fiscal year. Cruces and Albuquerque along with hobbs area will be able to patch and link to state once state figures out what they can do. Don't be surprised if state ends up down road using conventional 700 p25, vhf p25 and analog in needed areas, and phase 1 trs in limited areas. The first series they bundled up and purchased were xts and xtls 700 mhz with the max flashcode options. The second batch this past fiscal run was the apx 6000s portables and mobiles single band. Down road they'll eventually go into a dual band to overcome the multi radio issue.

To add to the fiasco spending anyone that has a secure system or setup has to supply the state with a radio per car and keys if its full time. So you can see why most are keeping dispatches in clear. It may not seem like much but when you have local district cars along with district district cars then neighboring districts standing in it will get expensive. They wouldn't have to supply someone from Farmington but someone next door district over they will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.