RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 3:57 PM

Default online radio/police scanner software?

Is there any software avaiable online to listen into police radios and other radio or frequencies (am I using this term right?) that I could use from my computer/laptop? Free or paid, anything that is really good. List off a few and which ones you think is best.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2009, 4:07 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You can listen to hundreds if not thousands of live scanners across the US (and some outside of the US) right here on this site. You can use iTunes, Windows Media Player, or your browser, and listening is free! Just click on the "Live Audio" link on the top of this page.

If you are talking about a physical radio that you connect to your PC, you can look at the Icom PCR series.

Welcome to RadioReference!
Old 09-08-2009, 4:32 PM

Well that's quite obvious after several searches using google and even coming across this sites live feeds. But I can't find my city, so this is why im searching for software. Just please answer the question I asked, if I wanted live feeds I would of asked for it. Thanks though. (sorry if I came off as a dick, thats not my intention)
Old 09-08-2009, 7:26 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Control Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by radionoob View Post
Just please answer the question I asked
Your use of the term "online" was misleading, and it was answered correctly as you never mentioned you had a scanner. I am still not sure, but I think you do not, and you are asking if your PC can be made to scan radio frequencies. bezking mentioned Icom PCR series. That might be what you want, but I am not familiar with it. I hope I have clarified your request so someone else can say with more knowledge. If you do have a scanner, please identify it, as software is very specific to model and make.

Last edited by captclint; 09-08-2009 at 7:29 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 7:41 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

I do not have a scanner.

I am looking for a scanner I can download from online onto my computer so I can listen into police radios/fire radios/etc.

Hope that clears it up. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2009, 8:06 PM

You'll have to go buy a scanner if you can't find someone broadcasting a live feed of the audio.
Old 09-09-2009, 4:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by radionoob View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

I do not have a scanner.

I am looking for a scanner I can download from online onto my computer so I can listen into police radios/fire radios/etc.

Hope that clears it up. Thanks.
You need a radio receiver to listen to public safety transmissions. There is no way to do it solely with your computer other than the live feeds which you've said aren't available for your area. Those feeds are provided by people with receivers that receive the transmissions and use the Internet to make them available to others.

There is no such thing as a downloadable scanner. You have to buy one. Many can be connected to computers for programming, remote control, recording, logging, etc. The software to do that is specific to the particular scanner involved. There are also receivers that can be installed in a computer as you would install any other accessory circuit board. They are generally quite expensive and still involve buying hardware.

To specifically answer the question in your original post--Yes, for listening to live feeds. If you exclude that, No.

Dick
Old 04-28-2012, 5:09 PM

Default On-line scanner for your computer

Seems there would be hardware you can install on your motherboard bus, as you would wwith a TV tuner, to be able to use your computer as a scanner
Old 04-28-2012, 6:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansourdumas View Post
Seems there would be hardware you can install on your motherboard bus, as you would wwith a TV tuner, to be able to use your computer as a scanner
There is. Google WinRadio or SDR (software defined radio). Here's one http://www.winradio.com/home/g305i.htm
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2012, 8:51 PM

Cool, thanks.