RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 9:48 PM

Default radio Shack pro-2050 programming trunked system help

I just got a pro-2050 cheap from the goodwill and dont know how to program the trunking stuff i live in randolph county NC i am not sure what info i need from the RR NC viper site Please help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2009, 5:54 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi - to get you started, this article from our wiki will introduce you to what trunking does...

Trunking Basics - the RR wiki

The 2050 is a very old base version of the BC235 from Uniden, which was their first portable trunktracker. It can only trunk 800 mhz analog Motorola systems; the VIPER database shows that it has a large number of digital talkgroups, which the 2050 cannot handle.

The VIPER database is here...

Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

your first task is to select the site(s) that are closest to you. Next is to find something with an 'A' in the mode (that means analog). The Highway Patrol is largely analog (it does have some digital which you will not be able to hear) as an example.

Out of the VIPER system, what do you want to be able to hear? Keep in mind that you have a fairly limited number of talkgroups (think users for now) that the radio can handle

73 Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 10-24-2009 at 5:58 AM..