RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 1:58 PM

Question Decisions...Decisions?!?!

Trying to decide between the Uniden Home Patrol 1 & the GRE PSR-800.
I have some scanner knowledge. I have a RS-Pro 24, 51, 97, 106, & 107. AOR AR-2700,
Uniden BC100-XLT. Quite an oddball selection that I've accumulated over the years of scanne listening.
I like the size of the GRE PSR-800 and it's somewhat ease of use + the colored LED's i can use to designate to different agency's. But I like the super ease of the Uniden HP-1.the only things that I find i don't like about the HP-1 is it's size. and the SMC antenna. I have an extensive collection of BNC antennas!! Decisions...decisions... I can also get either one for the same price. @ $450
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2011, 2:06 PM

Why not the BCD396XT? I have a buddy that has one - it is a great scanner and you can get it about the same price. Haven't seen many good posts about the HP1.
Old 04-09-2011, 3:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccluskey View Post
Why not the BCD396XT? I have a buddy that has one - it is a great scanner and you can get it about the same price. Haven't seen many good posts about the HP1.
I second the 396XT. But, for better audio, the PSR-800 might be worth a shot. Less problems with the 800 than the HP-1. I was just at my local HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) today, and a few HP-1's have been returned for the latest problem: going deaf on receive. Read about this in the Uniden forum. I do like my 396 for size and its memory. Like my 106 and 197's too, for what they do.
HTH,
Larry
Old 04-09-2011, 4:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you want portability, small size, and ease of use, especially for trunked systems, I recommend the PSR-800. I haven't had any problems with mine to date and really simple to program. The HomePatrol seems best suited to stationary use at home
Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Thumbs up Decisions...Decisions?!?!

Thanks for the input guys!! Went to my local HRO and picked up an PSR-800!!
looked and got to handle the HP-1! Was somewhat impressed! Maybe at a later date I'll pick up a HP-1.
When all the bugs are worked out!! I'm impressed with the 800. It's kinda like a cross between my RS Pro -106 & 107!! I'm kinda familiar with the two so the 800 shouldn't give me too many problems!! ; )
Sponsored links