BCD396XT: Displays Site name, not System name

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroundLoop

Premium Subscriber
I have two Systems programmed, each with the exact same TRS Site, and different sets of talk groups.

System: SD Police
Site: San Diego TRS
Groups: <several>

System: SD Fire

Seems to make sense, since the Site (frequencies, set of users, etc) is identical.

However, when the display shows a signal, it displays the Site name, and not the System name, so it might say:

San Diego TRS
Northern

Which doesn't tell me whether it's a Fire or Police call.

I can certainly name the 'Site' for each as something different, but that's not really accurate -- the site is identical. I'd like to cut & paste. It's the System I'd like to see on the display. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What's the problem here? Just go in and change the site name to reflect fire or police. You can name the sites anything you wish within the 12 (I think that's the character limit) bytes you have to work with.

???

best regards..Mike

GroundLoop

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm just being uptight. I do indeed abuse the Site name to reflect the intent of the system.

It seems like the System name should be on the display, since the Site info is not unique.
I cut and paste the same three or four Sites (multisite) all over between different Systems. Given them unique names on each System seems wrong.

I tried all three Display Modes (1, 2, and 3) which seem to differ only in the third line of the display.

And here's the odd thing: For Conventional systems, the scanner DOES display the System Name in the first line of the display.
It's only on Trunking that it puts the Site name on the first line.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It seems like the System name should be on the display, since the Site info is not unique.

Then you could not have Multi-Site Trunking with one set of talkgroups
tied to multiple sites.
I have NC's Statewide VIPER system programmed into both my 396XT & 996XT. I have 1 set of talkgroups tied to several sites for use in different geographical areas. All I have to do is turn on or off the site (using QK) for
that one set of talkgroups.
If multi-site trunking was not a part of the radio you would have to program in the same Talkgroups over and over again for multiple sites.
Marshall KE4ZNR

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I have two Systems programmed, each with the exact same TRS Site, and different sets of talk groups.

Seems to make sense, since the Site (frequencies, set of users, etc) is identical.

However, when the display shows a signal, it displays the Site name, and not the System name
If you wish to keep them as two same-site systems, then just swap the system names with the site names, like this:

System: San Diego TRS PD
Site: SD Police

System: San Diego TRS FD
Site: SD Fire

Or simply change the site names to "SD TRS - Police" and "SD TRS - Fire", like this:

Site: SD TRS - Police

Site: SD TRS - Fire

Or just combine it all into a single "Sand Diego TRS" system with just the one site, and have 5 Police groups and 5 Fire groups.

Happy Scanning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.