Digital Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbsonnydavis

Our local sheriff's office have gone to digital broadcast. The sheriff told me the digital frequency is the same as the old analog but in a digital format.
This is a small county and the sheriff's office, city police, oem, ambulance all use the frequency of 155.9475.
The sheriff's office also has AWIN radios they use occasionally.
What Radio Shack scanner would work for this situation? Our local Radio Shack's are small and the personnel just sells the scanners and seem to know nothing about them.
I have been a long time scanner listener but it has always been analog. I know nothing about the new digital stuff.
Thanks.

shadcall

The Pro 106 or the Pro 197 will work for you. One is handheld, the other a base unit. I'm not sure if they are still on sale or not. If your local RS store cannot get you one, you can order direct from RS.

ibagli

Before buying, you should make sure that the digital format is P25, and not a format like MotoTRBO.

I don't see anyhting in the data base it is MotoTRBO, The AWIN is a P25 System. As for the Calhoun Sheriff if it is the same frequency I see they are digital on the AWIN System.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't see anyhting in the data base it is MotoTRBO, The AWIN is a P25 System. As for the Calhoun Sheriff if it is the same frequency I see they are digital on the AWIN System.
According to the FCC database, Calhoun's 155.9475 shows to be licensed for emission code 7K60FXE, which is MOTOTRBO.That emission code was added 02/09/2011. (The mobiles/input side, 158.90250, also has the 7K60FXE emission code as well.)

n5ims

Since it may not be clear from the other posts, if your system is indeed MOTOTrbo (as it appears from the FCC license info posted by hiegtx, no current scanner (analog or digital) will receive it directly. One option may be the software packages MBELIB and DSD http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package) and the thread http://forums.radioreference.com/di...are/189035-dsd-1-4-mbelib-1-2-3-released.html

One possible issue with MBELIB and DSD is that they run under Linux, not Windows so it isn't something most folks can simply install on their computer and start using. The thread has many posts on how to get it configured and running as well as some suggestions on how to get started on Linux.

Someone had such a system running and was attempting to use it to provide a feed on RR (http://forums.radioreference.com/li...feed-submitted-decoding-streaming-online.html) but had issues getting it approved since the system they had to decode only had users that didn't meet the feed qualification (a towing service if I remember correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.