RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 6:15 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsl2000 View Post
But it is OK to rebroadcast to listeners worldwide via the internet?
Yes; as has been covered ad-nauseum elsewhere. It's the rebroadcast over RADIO FREQUENCY that's the issue, not the retransmission in another format (digital bits on the Internet).
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011, 8:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriley View Post
Planning on buying the 996XT but not until I'm sure I can figure this out. Can't afford two scanners so I'll have to run an external speaker ~100' to my garage.
It sounds like a portable scanner may be a better choice for your needs. Have you considered the 396XT?
Old 08-23-2011, 8:20 PM

If you have an extra computer just set up a Shoutcast server and listen on the second computer.

I have one feed on RR and a second scanner that I have on a Shoutcast server so I can listen in my office and my wife can listen in another part of the house.

The plus is my neighbor no longer has to call me and ask what is going on when she hears sirens. She can just listen to my scanner on her computer.

Just another option for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 2:06 PM

A second scanner would be nice but my wallet is mostly full of moths.

I do have an old computer in the bedroom but I doubt it would like it in the garage when it hits -30° F or so.

As long as I have the coax I think I'll just run that out there. If that doesn't work I can reuse the cable and just be out a couple ends. If I blow up the speakers I'll only be out twenty bucks. Only real worry is not ruining the scanner, that would be bad.

I have this little tool from when I installed my cable......

BNC / RCA / F Type Compression Tool | DL-8083R (DL8083R) | Distributed By MCM

I looked yesterday and can't find the right adapters to get to the 3.5mm mini, male or female. Then living in a one-horse town with only an ACE Hardware doesn't help. I did fine one place with an RCA to 3.5mm but not the female end. Maybe go BNC to 3.5mm? The search continues.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 3:24 PM

HE'S BAAACK. Bought the scanner and it sounds great in the house with a 3" external speaker. Now it's how to get to the garage.

Here's what it says for the jacks on the scanner:

Audio Output Power 3W nominal into 8Ω speaker
30mW nominal into 32Ω stereo headphone
Phone Jack: 3.5mm (1/8 in.) Stereo Type
Ext.SP Jack: 3.5mm (1/8 in.) Monaural Type
REC.Out Jack: 3.5mm (1/8 in.) Stereo Type

Here is an amp that popped up on Amazon:

Amazon.com: LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply: Electronics

So, if I put the amp next to the scanner I can connect them from the REC Out on the scanner to the MP3 Input on the amp. I think.

I'm thinking of going to the bathroom with say the left channel then continue on to the garage with the right channel.

With this set up can I use regular 16 gage speaker wire?

I can use a non-powered speaker in the bath but would really like powered in the garage but not necessary.

Money isn't as much a deal as in 2011, social security starts in the fall so I best get spending so it doesn't pile up on me. :-)

Thanks very much.
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013, 6:04 AM

I've got a set of computer type speaker setup that has a subwoofer, plugged into my ICOM R75 receiver. I am completely deaf in my right ear and can't hear so great out of my left one. The amplified external speaker system helps a lot. Plus it improves the tone control a lot better.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:27 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah, I think the powered speakers mentioned will work fine. I was all ready to order some Cat5e, bolens etc this morning till I ran across this:

100ft Velocity™ 3.5mm M/M Stereo Audio Cable - C2G

It's a few more bucks but I can just run it out there and plug it in. Says shielded copper wire which I think is good. We'll see.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:31 AM

You could save a lot of money if you just bought a couple of 3.5mm jacks and 100' of common speaker wire and make your own. I think one of the connectors needs to be a female.
Old 02-27-2013, 7:04 AM

RadioDaze says in post 14 I would pick up a lot of noise and interference....my garage is full of florescent lights so it can't hurt.

REC Out on the scanner takes a male and so does the Aux In on the speakers so I got that right....I think. :-)
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriley View Post
RadioDaze says in post 14 I would pick up a lot of noise and interference....my garage is full of florescent lights so it can't hurt.

REC Out on the scanner takes a male and so does the Aux In on the speakers so I got that right....I think. :-)
If you want to buy the more expensive shield speaker cable at least buy only a mono cable. You do not need stereo speaker cable for a scanner. The mono speaker cable should be less expensive but yet still shielded.
Old 03-01-2013, 9:21 PM

Thumbs up Works Great

Supplies arrived today and I couldn't be happier, it sounds excellent.

Cable arrived first so I went: external speaker jack > 100' cable > 3" speaker. Sound was clear as a bell, no static or distortion. There might have been a little lose in volume but it was so slight I couldn't tell the difference. Volume was set on 9.

Speakers arrived next: Rec Out > 100' cable > powered speakers. Same result, clear as a bell.

So, if anyone wonders how this will work, it does just fine. Thanks all, especially RadioDaze, you were spot on. :-)