trunks on an analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4DUY

Since I got my FCC license I've been nosing about the bands, and doing some reading here and there.

I have a question, apropos my thread title: is it possible to monitor a trunking system at all with an analog receiver? From my understanding the RX/TX may be split, and they could jump around - but are they typically digitally encoded as well?

DickH

Since I got my FCC license I've been nosing about the bands, and doing some reading here and there.

I have a question, apropos my thread title: is it possible to monitor a trunking system at all with an analog receiver? From my understanding the RX/TX may be split, and they could jump around - but are they typically digitally encoded as well?

Trunking systems can use analog or digital. Yes, they can be monitored with a conventional (non-trunking) scanner with varying degrees of success. Put in all the freqs. as conventional freqs., then lock out the control channel (strong, constant buzz). Every time someone keys a mic, the freq. may change, so you will need to keep pushing the scan button to try to follow the conversation. If the system is not busy you may have some success.

KK4DUY

What kind of FCC license?
Amateur Radio, General

Trunking systems can use analog or digital. Yes, they can be monitored with a conventional (non-trunking) scanner with varying degrees of success. Put in all the freqs. as conventional freqs., then lock out the control channel (strong, constant buzz). Every time someone keys a mic, the freq. may change, so you will need to keep pushing the scan button to try to follow the conversation. If the system is not busy you may have some success.
Ah, thanks!

My radio has two receivers that can scan independently, and I can configure it to hold on an active find until the carrier drops. I'd imagine, like you said, things can get crazy if they are busy.

I'm using a Yaesu VX-7r if anyone is curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.