NEXEDGE Finding and Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbytherobot

I just read that Orange County, Indiana has updated to the NEXEDGE system and I donot know how to find or scan this. I have the GRE PSR-800 and I can hear my locals when they talk on the 800 channels but now I am lost with this new system. Looking for answers.

Thanks Jason

scanthis101

Nexedge vs p25

I just read that Orange County, Indiana has updated to the NEXEDGE system and I donot know how to find or scan this. I have the GRE PSR-800 and I can hear my locals when they talk on the 800 channels but now I am lost with this new system. Looking for answers.

Thanks Jason

Nexedge is a Kenwood only digital vocoder language. Scanners do not have the vocoder to decode the digital signal. The 800 system you are hearing in digital is p25. P25 is a standard that most public safety department use, that's so all radio company's p25 radios can talk to each other. Kenwood's Nexedge, Motorola's Moto-trbo, Icom D-star all have different vocode language's. Making them only available to hear and talk on there brand of radio. Hope this helps you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You cannot scan it with any scanner out of the box - however with a modification and some software, you can. It's a bit technical, but here's the wiki article on the subject...

DSD - the RR Wiki

If I were going to do this, I'd get an older scanner from a pawn shop or an used list and modify that, leaving my primary scanner alone.

I bet some of the folks in our Indiana forum are discussing this already or will be soon...HTH...Mike

SCPD

QRT
Since Jason has a PSR800, he already has discriminator audio. All he needs is an audio cable and software.

robbytherobot

Unitrunker, what is the software and how do I get it? I looked on the wiki page at the DSD 1.4 and downloaded it, I think, Is this what I need to do?

Thanks Jason

robbytherobot

I dont understand the download? What do you download and where do you install it and how do yo use it? Could you be more specific about the program I am really confusesd.

Thanks Jason

N8IAA

I dont understand the download? What do you download and where do you install it and how do yo use it? Could you be more specific about the program I am really confusesd.

Thanks Jason

I believe that the software is Linux based, not Windows. But you do need a cable with mono 1/8" plugs on each end.
Larry

scanthis101

windows version

There is a windows version now. You will have to get a program that separates audio to a virtual sound card so you can mute the digital data side, that way you only hear the decoded voice. A local Ham operator has this setup at his house, its works on Kenwood nexedge and Motorola mototrb. The scanner you have will work great. If I can get a hold of him I will get the information and name and download locations for you.

robbytherobot

nexedge help

There is a windows version now. You will have to get a program that separates audio to a virtual sound card so you can mute the digital data side, that way you only hear the decoded voice. A local Ham operator has this setup at his house, its works on Kenwood nexedge and Motorola mototrb. The scanner you have will work great. If I can get a hold of him I will get the information and name and download locations for you.

I would appreciate that information because I could not make heads or tails of the other software. It would be great to be able to listen to the local police dept again plus I spent all that money on the GRE 800.

Thanks Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.