RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 7:08 AM

Angry NEXEDGE Finding and Decoding

I just read that Orange County, Indiana has updated to the NEXEDGE system and I donot know how to find or scan this. I have the GRE PSR-800 and I can hear my locals when they talk on the 800 channels but now I am lost with this new system. Looking for answers.

Thanks Jason
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Nexedge vs p25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbytherobot View Post
I just read that Orange County, Indiana has updated to the NEXEDGE system and I donot know how to find or scan this. I have the GRE PSR-800 and I can hear my locals when they talk on the 800 channels but now I am lost with this new system. Looking for answers.

Thanks Jason
Nexedge is a Kenwood only digital vocoder language. Scanners do not have the vocoder to decode the digital signal. The 800 system you are hearing in digital is p25. P25 is a standard that most public safety department use, that's so all radio company's p25 radios can talk to each other. Kenwood's Nexedge, Motorola's Moto-trbo, Icom D-star all have different vocode language's. Making them only available to hear and talk on there brand of radio. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You cannot scan it with any scanner out of the box - however with a modification and some software, you can. It's a bit technical, but here's the wiki article on the subject...

DSD - the RR Wiki

If I were going to do this, I'd get an older scanner from a pawn shop or an used list and modify that, leaving my primary scanner alone.

I bet some of the folks in our Indiana forum are discussing this already or will be soon...HTH...Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 1:31 PM
Seņor Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Since Jason has a PSR800, he already has discriminator audio. All he needs is an audio cable and software.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:38 PM

Unitrunker, what is the software and how do I get it? I looked on the wiki page at the DSD 1.4 and downloaded it, I think, Is this what I need to do?

Thanks Jason
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2012, 6:09 PM

I dont understand the download? What do you download and where do you install it and how do yo use it? Could you be more specific about the program I am really confusesd.

Thanks Jason
Old 08-27-2012, 7:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbytherobot View Post
I dont understand the download? What do you download and where do you install it and how do yo use it? Could you be more specific about the program I am really confusesd.

Thanks Jason
I believe that the software is Linux based, not Windows. But you do need a cable with mono 1/8" plugs on each end.
Larry
Old 08-27-2012, 7:55 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There's been a Windows version now for some time...Mike
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Default windows version

There is a windows version now. You will have to get a program that separates audio to a virtual sound card so you can mute the digital data side, that way you only hear the decoded voice. A local Ham operator has this setup at his house, its works on Kenwood nexedge and Motorola mototrb. The scanner you have will work great. If I can get a hold of him I will get the information and name and download locations for you.
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 AM

Talking nexedge help

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanthis101 View Post
There is a windows version now. You will have to get a program that separates audio to a virtual sound card so you can mute the digital data side, that way you only hear the decoded voice. A local Ham operator has this setup at his house, its works on Kenwood nexedge and Motorola mototrb. The scanner you have will work great. If I can get a hold of him I will get the information and name and download locations for you.

I would appreciate that information because I could not make heads or tails of the other software. It would be great to be able to listen to the local police dept again plus I spent all that money on the GRE 800.

Thanks Jason
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default DSD dsd for windows

Jason,
Start with original forum post for DSD for WIndows. That way you can see other questions from other members on the thread.

DSD Windows Port
Old 09-02-2012, 1:45 AM
Seņor Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

The wiki is also a good place.

Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki