RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Default where to start?

hi all. I have always been interested in shortwave/ham radio but have never really got round to doing anything about it, so I think the time has come to bite the bullet. So I am asking what is the easiest way to do this, I mean what sort of radio should I buy, aerial etc. I suppose this is like asking how long is a piece of string from what I have read so far. I have bought one of the dummies guide books of ham radio, my wife got this for me for Christmas. Unfortunately due to work commitments I have yet to start reading it :-( so any advice would be very welcome, I am in the process of searching for a local group that may also be able to help. home space is limited so would a mobile unit be better?

Thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2013, 1:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why not try here: UK Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

HTH,
Larry
Old 02-03-2013, 7:01 PM

Welcome to the hobby. While looking at the basic concept, begin studying the Technician class amateur radio license as well. In this way, you can make the most of your new interests.

As far as an antenna is concerned, a decent beginner project is a dipole and there are lots of websites to look at to design your first antenna. Its a lot cheaper and a lot more fun to make your own. For the best results spend the time to assemble a good set of ears. If you'cant hear em, you can't listen to em and bgin to get some neat SWL cards from broasdcasters.

For a beginner radio, your pocket book is the biggest variable. You can begin with an inexpensive battery-powered rig. If you've got a bit of spendable cash and know some hams and sw listener enthusiasts, you can pick up a used (but not abused) receiver (such as an Icom or AOR rig) at a hamfest or swap meet. Receivers cost can go from minimal to literally thousands of $ that can make your (and my) eyes bleed. What's your radio budget?

As a personal preference, I like a good quality set of earphones (cans) which can often improve listening quality.

Once again. welcome and start looking at such periodicals as Popular Communications and websites that give you frequency lists etc.
Other data that nobody cares about.
Old 02-07-2013, 4:44 AM

K C 2 P B J

Sorry for the delay in replying too many hours at work, anyway thanks for the info have bought a book to study for the Technician class amateur, looking forward to get on the air in the near future. Am sure that I get a lot of support on this forum. Thanks again