RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 8:46 AM

Back in my day, beepers were banned in high school
Sponsored links

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Kudos to the student who has an interest in radio. By chance, are there any teachers (science, etc) that would encourage starting a radio club in school (as part of the curriculum)? Are there any hams in the faculty? Maybe tie in the audio (sound card) and do a little digital demo (ISS packet, WEFAX). The point I'm making is to legitimize what you're are doing.
I realize we are living in much different times (1984 HS grad here), but what I recognize is a bit of myself in him. Don't try to invite trouble, the schools have always had rules for students to play by. But if you can find one teacher that recognizes that you are not like 99% of the I-pod generation, you will gain some legitimacy. Most of the students and STAFF probably have no clue of radio communications. Be smart, don't burn your bridges yet so early in life!
Old 02-26-2013, 1:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

i clearly remember my sons handbook stating no electronic devices were allowed in school. therefore a scanner is an electronic device and your vice-principal or even a teacher would be within their rights to confiscate your scanner just an fyi
Old 02-26-2013, 1:08 PM

These are all valid points trying to get the student to keep the scanner out of school.

But most importantly, scanners are NOT chick magnets! For Pete's sake, if you stand any hope of getting a girlfriend, this ain't helping your cause at all.
Old 02-26-2013, 1:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingras View Post
I am a Freshman in High School in New Jersey, I was wondering if it was illegal to listen to the Buses and/or Administration? I have had many Staff members ask me why I have it and I simply say I listen to the Police and Fire Department but sometimes the Administration and Buses I said if the school does not want me listening encrypt the frequencies. But today I had one of the Vice Principles take me out of a class for a minute, and told me i can not bring my Police scanner to school anymore "Uniden BC12AT". So I am wondering if I am within my rights.
My 10 year old son, N5BRI, carries his APX7000 to school. He simply explained everything to his principal and has never had a problem. He actually helped once when the principal's radio died and he programmed up his to let him use. It's all about how you present the issue.

Two-Way Radio Rental | Walkie Talkie Rental | Narrowbanding | Young Ham Radio Operator Has a Motorola-Filled Christmas
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 1:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by T04KLH9PW7AN View Post
My 10 year old son, N5BRI, carries his APX7000 to school. He simply explained everything to his principal and has never had a problem. He actually helped once when the principal's radio died and he programmed up his to let him use. It's all about how you present the issue.

Two-Way Radio Rental | Walkie Talkie Rental | Narrowbanding | Young Ham Radio Operator Has a Motorola-Filled Christmas
The fact that your 10 year old son has a APX7000 is impressive, in and of itself!
Old 02-26-2013, 1:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You should see his stash. Click the link I included. He just added a 7000XE and a 7500.

Link 1

http://communities.motorola.com/comm...first_robotics

Link 2

http://blog.bearcom.com/2012/12/youn...led-christmas/

Last edited by T04KLH9PW7AN; 02-26-2013 at 1:49 PM.. Reason: Add links
Old 02-26-2013, 2:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have not read all of the answers in this thread, but my advice is simply put the scanner away while at school and concentrate on your education.
Old 02-26-2013, 5:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The kid is still alright in my book. Sure, obey the school rules about electronic devices, etc. Don't get yourself into trouble. But see if you can turn it around in your favor. Do a cool demo next time the ISS makes a pass over your area. Maybe there is a ham club with a local repeater that has links all across the country, or maybe even HF links. I'm sure the school is full of kids with Apps, good for him doing something that requires a little bit more thinking than the rest.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 PM

I used to have friends in high school who had fire department pagers on during class
Old 01-31-2014, 9:50 PM

Thank you everyone I forgot I posted this! I actually had a encounter today well not me, my friend with my one baofeg handheld. He was listening the hallway and one of the vice principal asked what he was doing and he explained "we don't have our amateur radio licenses yet but hope to get them soon" So I simply told my friend i would go told with mr.dubbs "one of the vice principals on Monday morning" We are allowed all electric dives at school, there are no restrictions now. Many teacher enjoys listens to the admins and we actually had a a couple emergency where my Scanner came in handy. I'm a sophomore right now 15. My bus driver listens also because our school has their own buses and they also hire a bus service which i have, and I tell her when we are leaving have problems etc. Thank you all for the feedback some good some bad! keep giving me feed back PLEASE.
Old 01-31-2014, 9:55 PM

And Yes all my teachers know of my scanner and ham they don't mind it it keep them in my front pocked of my jacket or on my belt clip! Many actually ask me "hey anything going on" on a daily basis too. I really enjoy my scanner and soon will be enjoying getting on air. When ever I hear sirens when i'm at school i turn her on and listen, i have many frequency's programmed in both radios. Keep the feedback !
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman316 View Post
Just read this thread from start to finish and 3 things stand out:

FIRST, The school can tell him not to bring it but does it pose a hazard???? NOPE, not if he keeps it hidden, even if he did get confronted.

Second, with the first one, does the school have a right to confiscate it, NOPE, because it''s not a safety hazard and will not distract other students.

Three and the biggest one, he has every constitutional right to bring it to school.

HTH

73's
Thank you, I like your attitude very much!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"he has every constitutional right to bring it to school"

I don't see any provision whatsoever in the U.S. Constitution guaranteeing a high school student the 'right' to possess and operate a radio scanner during classroom hours, but perhaps I missed it? Please post the appropriate information here, so we can use it when needed. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPrine View Post
"he has every constitutional right to bring it to school"

I don't see any provision whatsoever in the U.S. Constitution guaranteeing a high school student the 'right' to possess and operate a radio scanner during classroom hours, but perhaps I missed it? Please post the appropriate information here, so we can use it when needed. Thanks!
Not really the constitution haha, Buy I hope you get the point. I'm still in the process of obtaining info!
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2hpw View Post
Kudos to the student who has an interest in radio. By chance, are there any teachers (science, etc) that would encourage starting a radio club in school (as part of the curriculum)? Are there any hams in the faculty? Maybe tie in the audio (sound card) and do a little digital demo (ISS packet, WEFAX). The point I'm making is to legitimize what you're are doing.
I realize we are living in much different times (1984 HS grad here), but what I recognize is a bit of myself in him. Don't try to invite trouble, the schools have always had rules for students to play by. But if you can find one teacher that recognizes that you are not like 99% of the I-pod generation, you will gain some legitimacy. Most of the students and STAFF probably have no clue of radio communications. Be smart, don't burn your bridges yet so early in life!
I like this idea i'll try if to find a teacher how is interested or does it as a hobby!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA951 View Post
I have to shake my head at this attitude. Is this what we are teaching? That unless it is written down, I can do it- that the Vice Principal can't tell me what to do- that my mommy said it was okay, so everyone else is wrong?

You have the right to go to school to learn. You don't have a right to carry a scanner in the school.

There are times like this I really fear for the future of our nation.
And I shake my head at your sarcastic Reply ha, You must have read this wrong sir. Did I ever say mommy said it was okay? I do not recall, No school rules regarding electric devices and definitely nothing regarding scanners and or Hams! But thank you for you thoughts!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 AM

It's been a long time since I've been in high school, but I started out much like you did, and around the same age. So, I am strongly encouraging you to pursue your interest, and I'm going to throw in a few caveats...

In your travels, you will encounter some people who you may be listening to on your scanner who will express the opinion that they don't approve. Your reaction to their disapproval will weigh heavily upon your future, and those who follow you.

If, for example, the vice-principal declares that the school doesn't want scanners on school grounds, STOP bringing it onto school grounds. PERIOD. Contrary to some opinions expressed in this thread over the past year, you DO NOT have a constitutional right to listen. Ask your American Government teachers. They DO still teach American Government in high school, don't they?

If they allow you to bring it and listen during breaks, etc. but otherwise keep it out of sight, then do so. Schools have the legal ability to remove items from students that THEY deem distracting or dangerous. The operative word being "THEY". In other words, they may find it distracting, while you don't. Guess what... "THEY" win.

The same goes for private property like malls. The mall security "rent-a- cops" might get all uptight if you bring in a scanner listening to their channels. So, turn it off and find a friendlier mall to shop in. Thing is, places like that are actually private property, and they can make and enforce decisions like that. It may be heavy handed and ridiculous, but it's not unconstitutional, because there is no constitutional right to listen to a scanner.

Ok, all caveats aside, if you're sufficiently respectful of the school administrators and their opinions of your radios, it's not unreasonable to have them be ok with you bringing your scanner and/or ham radios to school. Maybe there's a teacher there with a ham license that would be sympathetic.

In my case, there were a couple of teachers at my high school who were hams, and when I let them know I was interested, they were both very helpful and accommodating. I never ran into problems bringing in an HT to school, and that's when HT's were HUGE.

One last comment... it's always best to keep a low profile when scanning out in proximity to other people, whether it's at school, at a mall, or anywhere else. Many people don't understand it, don't care to understand it, and wouldn't hesitate to cause you problems because of their ignorance. But no one is likely to ask why you have an ear bud plugged into your ear.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Language composition/priorities

I must pose a question....Do they still teach grammar in High school? I am not trying to be insensitive, but your sentence and paragraph structure makes it somewhat difficult to understand what you are trying to convey. I think, in your case, concentrating on your studies should out weigh and be more important than listening in on scanner traffic.

I was like you, somewhat, at your age.....if listening to that scanner is a priority, then best of luck in your future...you will need it. Get your Ham ticket, get a GOOD education and remember one thing, us old guys who have been there and done that really do want you to succeed in life....nobody can do it for you, only you will determine how far you go in life.

Since your a Freshman, why not make it goal to start a communications club at your high school for your Sophomore year.....that could be your saving grace the next time you get hassled by the man....power in numbers.
Old 02-01-2014, 2:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0ega View Post
............ Since your a Freshman, why not make it goal to start a communications club at your high school for your Sophomore year.....that could be your saving grace the next time you get hassled by the man....power in numbers.
I stand corrected...should have observed your actual post date....should read "Since you are a Sophomore, why not make it goal to start a communications club at your high school for your Junior year"