Scanner in High School

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingras

I am a Freshman in High School in New Jersey, I was wondering if it was illegal to listen to the Buses and/or Administration? I have had many Staff members ask me why I have it and I simply say I listen to the Police and Fire Department but sometimes the Administration and Buses I said if the school does not want me listening encrypt the frequencies. But today I had one of the Vice Principles take me out of a class for a minute, and told me i can not bring my Police scanner to school anymore "Uniden BC12AT". So I am wondering if I am within my rights.

kd3yt

It may be your "right" to listen to the Buses and or Administration if not encrypted, but the Vice Principle also has the right to tell you to not bring the scanner to school.

kingras

It may be your "right" to listen to the Buses and or Administration if not encrypted, but the Vice Principle also has the right to tell you to not bring the scanner to school.
That is true in some matters but in the student handbook it would have to say I could not bring my scanner to school, my mother is also in Administration at another district she said if it happpend in her district she would be perfectly fine with it. But if I go in one Monday and the VP and asks me for it I will say I do not consent to any searches or seizes as a student I have that right.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I am a Freshman in High School in New Jersey, I was wondering if it was illegal to listen to the Buses and/or Administration? I have had many Staff members ask me why I have it and I simply say I listen to the Police and Fire Department but sometimes the Administration and Buses I said if the school does not want me listening encrypt the frequencies. But today I had one of the Vice Principles take me out of a class for a minute, and told me i can not bring my Police scanner to school anymore "Uniden BC12AT". So I am wondering if I am within my rights.

I am also a high school student from IL and I, like you, like to listen to police and fire freqs on my scanners. I have programmed in my school district's frequencies but I don't listen to them a whole lot. Legally speaking, the school can tell you that you cannot bring your scanner to school and then in that case you legally cannot. In terms of listening to the school district's frequencies when you are not physically on school property (field trips from school do count as being on school property, in this case), they cannot tell you that you cannot listen to their freqiencies, as long as it is legal to own and operate a scanner in your state. If I were you, however, I would continue listening to your scanner when you aren't at school (Let's face it, monitoring police/fire, etc freqs is really fun!) and just kind of keep the fact that you listen to a scanner on the down-low while you are at school. That doesn't mean you can't talk about it, but just don't make a big deal about it.

If you want to discuss this any more or have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM. It is pretty rare that high school students are interested in scanners! :)

-Dan

Two locations where your "Constutional Rights" are pretty much suspended are Schools and military bases, as lawyers say "govern your actions accordingly".

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would agree with the first answer you got.
But hey do us all a favor, will ya?
Next time around, don't go telling people to encrypt.
Because you know what???
They will!

Very true. To the op, be aware the next time you listen to your schools ops, they may be on mototurbo or worse! :wink:

n9zas

cacherjoe

One thing you learn more as you go on in life is that it is less about what you can do and more about what you should do. The school can regulate what they feel is disruptive or may be a hazard to the facility. I wouldn't make a big deal about it and follow the direction of the staff. Also I agree, don't mention encryption, most don't know anything about it, lets not educate them.

AC2OY

What I'm impressed is that two high school students are amateur radio operators!! I wish I was into ham radio back then. I used my father's car CB radio whenever I could back then. As far as bringing a police scanner to school I'm sure with the way the world is today or the attention for more security, I can see it bieng viewed as a red flag! Sad that it would have to come to that but even when I attended school in the late 70's early 80's if somebody brought in a transrisistor radio they would confiscate it.

pjtnascar

You're kind of outta luck. If the school is telling you that you can't, you gotta follow the rules. It's better not to draw the attention of the admins.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Scanner in a pocket + earbuds = people assume MP3 player.
(In other words, be careful what you advertise...it brought you unwanted attention).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The OP did not say he has a license, but getting one would be a good idea, obviously.

Unsure how that will help him with a scanner in high school. I'm all for people getting their ham tickets, but they don't carry any authority to bend the rules in high school. Also very unlikely that anyone at the school in a position to dictate rules is going to know what one is, or care.

My sister is a teacher in a middle school, and they have strict rules about MP3 players, cell phones, etc because some students can't be trusted to know when to use them and when not to use them. A scanner really isn't any different.

The security issue thing will always be there. Most people that carry a two way radio for work have ZERO idea how it works. They see a scanner as a possible threat to their communications and get worried. High schools are ripe for this sort of attitude.

I think leaving the scanner somewhere safe while you are at school is your best course of action. Armchair lawyers aside, as a minor, you don't have a lot of options, and the high school is within their rights to have such rules.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
What I'm impressed is that two high school students are amateur radio operators!! I wish I was into ham radio back then. I used my father's car CB radio whenever I could back then. As far as bringing a police scanner to school I'm sure with the way the world is today or the attention for more security, I can see it bieng viewed as a red flag! Sad that it would have to come to that but even when I attended school in the late 70's early 80's if somebody brought in a transrisistor radio they would confiscate it.

That is also a very good point that it would raise a red flag for the school administration. I purposely don't advertise the fact that I listen to scanners (I don't make it a huge secret, just not something I am going around telling everyone) around school for just that reason. It is sad that that is something we are worrying about so much these days, but true.

So why not start your own feed here on rr with your current scanner and computer then listen to it with a smart phone or scanner radio app and ear buds when and where u like.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
So why not start your own feed here on rr with your current scanner and computer then listen to it with a smart phone or scanner radio app and ear buds when and where u like.

Precisely what I do!! :D

MK

If you have been openly displaying a scanner playing audio, the staff is upset because they do not like the idea of being monitored. Your best recourse is to shut up, hide the scanner in your backpack, and learn to use it only with headphones at the right time. However, you might have already gone so far that someone will always be watching you. In that case you will have to leave the scanner at home for a year or more until everyone has forgotten about any confrontations.

Precisely what I do!! :D

I agree and then sign up for premium and cut all the dead air and listen to what u missed thru out the day. I enjoy listening to my feed when I am either in town or many miles away.

radioman316

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I agree and then sign up for premium and cut all the dead air and listen to what u missed thru out the day. I enjoy listening to my feed when I am either in town or many miles away.

Just read this thread from start to finish and 3 things stand out:

FIRST, The school can tell him not to bring it but does it pose a hazard???? NOPE, not if he keeps it hidden, even if he did get confronted.

Second, with the first one, does the school have a right to confiscate it, NOPE, because it''s not a safety hazard and will not distract other students.

Three and the biggest one, he has every constitutional right to bring it to school.

HTH

73's

Status
Not open for further replies.