RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 8:26 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Those ham radios you mention will NOT do the frequencies you want. They may receive them but will not transmit on them. Modifying them so they can transmit out of band will allow them to work, but not legally. As others have posted, RCMP may look for illegally modified ham equipment and confiscate it/fine you for possessing it.

Best bet is to go with a commercial VHF radio and have the radio shop program it for the appropriate frequencies in use in your area. Once programmed, the end-user cannot make changes to the programming. The radio shop will have to handle that for you.
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As others have stated, it is illegal to transmit out of band with Ham radios like the TM-281 and Yaesus, and they have to be modified to do this anyway. They are also simply not designed for what you are wanting to do, which is operate on a small amount of pre-programmed channels without a lot of button pressing. As you noticed with the FT-8800, there are a ton of confusing buttons and features that you will never use, but will likely get inadvertently pressed or activated and get you stuck in "menu-land" or some mode that you know nothing about.

With a commercial radio, the channels and buttons are pre-programmed by a dealer (or anyone with the programming software), and there is generally no menus or other strange modes that can be activated. You literally only have to worry about the channel up/down buttons and volume control; although functions such as scan will require another button(s) to be programmed. In addition to the ease of use, most commercial grade radios will be much more rugged than any ham radio.

The Motorola PM400 that the dealer suggested is a good radio, but they are just a bit expensive for what you get. We use them at my fire department, along with it's little brother the CM300, and have had no trouble with them except for the cheap microphones that come with the CM300.

Another good, less expensive radio would be the Icom F5021. I have one, and other than a few intricacies with scanning, it is a good radio for the price. I believe it would be great for your intended use.

Unfortunately, you will not find removable faceplates (remote mount options) on commercial radios until you get into more expensive radios such as the Icom F5061, Kenwood TK-7180, or the Motorola CDM and XPR series. The Vertex VX-4600 also appears to have remote mount capability, and it is fairly inexpensive considering the features; but I don't have any experience with it.
Old 03-18-2013, 5:26 AM

The last 2 or 3 posts have answered most of my questions. Thanks all. I guess its the commerical way I'll go then. I was not aware that Ham radio's cannot do the AB "open channels " and/or the LAN ones. I do not know what those frequencies are either.. so its good to know I did not purchase one.

Seeing as how I only have one company here giving me advise, I thought I would seek elsewhere (here) for a second and third opinion. Thanks to those who've offered good advise and recommendations. Now... to only find one those models listed above used to save a few bucks.
Old 03-18-2013, 9:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
Pay attention, the FCC is not involved.

Any further posting of misinformation for this OP will be considered reasonable cause to be deleted and further action taken. He came looking for help in his country, not the United States. For those of you who can continue to aid this individual with good information from a Canadian point of view, continue to do so. The rest of you, stop posting.
Hey Loumaag, FYI... the OP posted 2 different posts about the same topic and it appears one of the board admins merged the 2 posts together. I think that's why there is some confusion and mis-information in this thread.

Glad some folks in Canada were able to help the OP out, thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mustang
The last 2 or 3 posts have answered most of my questions. Thanks all. I guess its the commerical way I'll go then. I was not aware that Ham radio's cannot do the AB "open channels " and/or the LAN ones. I do not know what those frequencies are either.. so its good to know I did not purchase one.

Seeing as how I only have one company here giving me advise, I thought I would seek elsewhere (here) for a second and third opinion. Thanks to those who've offered good advise and recommendations. Now... to only find one those models listed above used to save a few bucks.
Check out this link the basic 10 are comprised of 4 lad channels and 6 Alberta Open channels. Ignore the Sanjeev listing at this http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=4691 link for the frequencies for the basic 10

Old 03-18-2013, 1:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Exclamation Radio License required

Radio Licensing in Canada is regulated by Industry Canada
Every user of a Two Way Radio or any other form of Radio (RF) Emission is required, By Law, to hold a valid Radio License for the Radio Appliance in their possession.

The reason for this is safety to the people already licensed. I scan a large number of frequencies that are for rural EMS, Fire and Sustainable Development, and the "Alberta wide" and "LADD" frequencies. The LADD frequencies apply mainly to parts of BC and there have been bulletins put out by Industry Canada to this effect. I have heard far too many truckers from BC, Northern Alberta, and eastern Canada transmitting on frequencies in Alberta on Wheatland County, Coadale, Blairmore, Calgary, Search and Rescue, Sustainable Development frrequencies in southern Alberta. And I would hazard a guess that the restrictions as to where they can legally transmit are on the reverse of their license. As I stated before, the only service that does not require a license is CB or GMRS/FRS in Canada. I don't think it is impossible for anyone to apply for a license, but remember if you have a license for use in southern Alberta on VHF or UHF frequencies and hunt in Western Alberta or Northern Alberta, you may be transmitting on someone elses frequency their, or just enough off frequency to still interfere. Thus, my suggestion is to contact your local Industry Canda which would be in Calgary.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I like wise made that suggestion, as I also stated that there are area restrictions for all the AB-Open, and LAD channels. For instance LAD 2 is not a valid 'chat channel' in Alberta at all. It is assigned as a first responder frequency to at least one fire department, that being Grand Cache AB, LAD 1 is only a valid road channel north of the latitude of Edmonton, nor is LAD 1 allowed to be used in the border region of Washington State.

There are also restrictions where Ab-Open channels can not be used as well. Ultimately it is the licensee's responsibility to know where and more importantly where the channels can not be used. As we have said the OP needs to talk to IC himself and get licensed before he buys a radio
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the advise. As of today Im the owner of a nice Kenwood TX7108 (used ). The detachable faceplate is what sold me as now I do not have to cut away part of my dash to mount it. A $100 extra for the KRK10 and now I can velcro just the head of the unit to the dash and have the rest tucked away in the center console. Licence to use this for the 10 open channels is $52 a year. Application made. Thanks again.