New member with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick67

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, another scanner newbie here!

I wanted to know if their is a way of dividing up the Police channels by specific city? You know like list 01 (city name) list 02 (city name) etc. I live in a very small city (Whitefish, MT) and there are 2 other cities within range of my scanner so I would like to divide them up in to lists and use specific LED colors for each one.

I just bought the following setup a couple of days ago:
Radio Shack Pro106 scanner
2 antennas (stock one and 800mhz)
A/C adapter
USB programming cable
ARC500 and WIN500 software trials (going to buy the ARC software after trial)
Subscription to RadioReference.com

This has all been a bit overwhelming for me and I am starting to understand how things work (man this is tough stuff) but I am really having fun with this new toy :)

rick67

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, I know how to create lists I just don't know how to tell what city some channels are coming from, it will be called something like "police disp".

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
You Define Parameters

Hi all, another scanner newbie here!

I wanted to know if their is a way of dividing up the Police channels by specific city? You know like list 01 (city name) list 02 (city name) etc. I live in a very small city (Whitefish, MT) and there are 2 other cities within range of my scanner so I would like to divide them up in to lists and use specific LED colors for each one.

I just bought the following setup a couple of days ago:
Radio Shack Pro106 scanner
2 antennas (stock one and 800mhz)
A/C adapter
USB programming cable
ARC500 and WIN500 software trials (going to buy the ARC software after trial)
Subscription to RadioReference.com

This has all been a bit overwhelming for me and I am starting to understand how things work (man this is tough stuff) but I am really having fun with this new toy :)

The beauty of having a powerful Pro-106/GRE PSR 500 radio is the ability to design the scan lists (banks) according to your needs. Yes, you can set each PD in a different scan list using a different color for each.

If you want to better see the inside of the radio, I strongly recommend obtaining Win500 programming software. In my opinion, Win500 lets you see the trunking systems and associated talk groups in one visual field.

Even if you don't want to buy Win500, you can see how the radio is inside. I am a visual-learner.

Here are some links for you:

Welcome to Radio Reference Forums where you can get help from your peers.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I can't give you help with the exact mechanics of your scanner, but if you are just trying to figure out how to break it down into a way of “recognizing” what city Tx’s are coming from there’s a way to do that. Just program-in the frequencies for each city into a “bank” and give that bank a name. If the frequencies are similar but have unique sub-audible tones you can program those in to. Am I oversimplifying your question or am I misunderstanding it?

rick67

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the links etc, right now I am dealing with a "heap error".

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Heap Error

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the links etc, right now I am dealing with a "heap error".

This is why I prefer Win500. I don't know about ARC 500 since I gave mine away.

In Win500, go to the "all objects" & look for a group of objects that are not attached to a trunking system. I believe there will not be any scan lists for the dissociated talk groups.

nanZor

Just to clarify, I know how to create lists I just don't know how to tell what city some channels are coming from, it will be called something like "police disp".

Sounds like you'd like to rename the scanlist to something more descriptive. You can do this in ARC500 at least by going into the global options and renaming the scanlist there.

For example, you can change it from a default Scanlist 01 to:

Police Disp

like you wanted. In use, you may want a reminder of what scanlist this when it stops on an object, so you know which key to press for toggling that scanlist on or off. Perhaps add a small descriptor at the end:

Police Disp L1

You can also do it by hand. This reads worse than it really is once you've done it once or twice.

MAN (stop scanning) > PGM > GLOB (F3)

Use up/down arrow keys until you reach

Scan Lists: SEL

Push [SEL].
Push the UP/DOWN keys to move to the scanlist you'd like to rename
Push the RIGHT key
Push the DOWN key

You'll now be able to use your own alpha tag / rename the scanlist to whatever you desire.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

After reading up on what causes this, my suggestion is to totally erase all the pre-existing stuff that came with the 106 with a total full reset. Most likely you just unmapped a trunked talkgroup and now it is an orphan, and the 106 is complaining.

The on-board database is usually quite out of date anyway.

rick67

Premium Subscriber
Well so far after a "firmware update" the "heap error" has gone away. I am still going back and forth between ARC and WIN I like them both for different reasons, its going to be a tough decision!!

Status
Not open for further replies.