Squelch setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druster

Hey guys. I bought a bcd396xt last weekend and it is my first scanner. I am confused with what the squelch setting is actually doing. I move it from one extreme to the other and I cant seem to notice a difference. Can someone please explain what this setting is actually doing? Thanks.

n4yek

If you are scanning a trunk system, you might not hear any difference because it is monitoring a control channel. The scanner mutes the control channel audio all together.
If you are scanning conventional frequencies, you will hear it open up and allow 'white noise' to be heard around the setting of Zero or One depending on the noise level. Once you get to a setting of approximately Two, the noise will be squelch out and it will take a signal level of a set point in the radio to allow you to hear audio once again.
The higher the squelch number, the more signal is required to open up the audio circuit for you to hear and audio.

Last edited:

Druster

Thanks a lot n4yek. I am listening to a trunk system so that may be why I am not hearing a difference. I will have to mess around with it on a conventional system. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.