A new guy needs help with radio identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

markts

Hi all. I am an American expat and have a question concerning a radio that I have and if it's worth bringing home with me. Maybe someone here can help me. Thanks in advance for taking the time.

The radio is a four-channel relay station made by the Russian company Mashpriborintorg. The model name is 'Malutka' and, from my understanding, is a civilian model of a military device. The stations are permanent or mobile and work up to about 250 miles on AC or DC. I live in the mountains, outside of local utilities and set up the radio just after the birth our our first daughter to be able to communicate with my wife while away at work during the day. We used all four channels of the station, one for a private line, one hooked to a land line, one for computer data transfer and one to a camera. It worked great for two years until the advent of cell phones at which time we packed everything away.

Our family in the states has a camp (without electricity) in the Allegheny Forest in Pennsylvania but live about 100 miles away in Erie. I'm contemplating sending everything home and wondering which licenses we'll need and if it's even worth the trouble.

I'm attaching the datasheet below.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• advertpageside1.jpg
    advertpageside1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 251
  • advertpageside2.jpg
    advertpageside2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 244

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Pretty cool! And super-portable ;-)
Probably could be used on ham bands (2M?) with Amateur Radio License... and retuning. But if you will not be the user you could likely sell it at a hamfest or on eBay.

W2NJS

To clarify, your Russian radio isn't certificated by the US FCC so can not be used anywhere except on amateur radio frequencies in the US and will require each individual using it to have an FCC amateur license. If I were in your situation I would sell the thing locally before leaving for home.

DickH

You can't use it here (U.S.) on 60-70MHz and 5 watts isn't going to transmit much farther than one mile.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The frequencies do not include any ham band...it isn't type accepted by the FCC for any other band so even if you licensed a frequency you could not legally use it on the supported bands. Further, to get 250 miles without going through a repeater, satellite, or relay you would need a very tall antenna structure (hundreds of feet). VHF radio signals travel line-of-sight. As soon as the antenna is hidden by any terrain (like the horizon, which is typically 3-5 miles away at eye level), the signal is lost.

It isn't clear from the description how they are achieving a 300-400 km range.

WB4CS

If you look real close at the picture, it's obvious the range is only 3 feet! The two people are standing next to each other and the picture is split in half!

(I know, not constructive to the conversation, but someone had to point out the joke :) )

If you look real close at the picture, it's obvious the range is only 3 feet! The two people are standing next to each other and the picture is split in half!

(I know, not constructive to the conversation, but someone had to point out the joke :) )

for such a happy looking couple..they had many problems..Yet they still tried diligently to keep the lines of communication open..

Had to get mine in too man..Cheers!

talkpair

Rural Radiotelephone Service

It appears the Rural Radiotelephone Service still exists.

Just glancing at the frequencies, they appear to be the same ones used by the old Improved Radio Telephone Service (IMTS) prior to cellular.
Most of this spectrum has been auctioned to paging companies in metro areas, or "markets" as they are known by.

I think the service was originally intended to be used by landline companies for areas that would be impractical to serve, and not as a point-to-point service as is depicted in the advertisement.

There's probably enough obstacles built into the rules that it won't take very long before you hit something that makes you ineligible to license in the service.
As others have mentioned, Part 22.377 requires the equipment be FCC certified.

Code of Federal Regulations Title 47 Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.