"Scanner Paralysis"...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I have “scanner paralysis” – and I’ll be willing to bet that I’m not alone.

I’m SEVERELY torn between buying an analog or a digital trunking scanner.

My paralysis is not based so much upon money as it is on perceived FAST OBSOLESCENCE. Let me explain:

My PRIMARY concern is that agencies will go to ENCRYPTED forms of communication faster than they will just go DIGITAL. Worse still, once they are digital, who’s to say that they won’t just come up with another FORM of digital, thereby rendering what is on the market right now a paperweight?

If I go out and buy an analog triple trunker then I’m SOL if my agencies of interest go digital, but if they go digital AND encrypt, then it doesn’t matter whether its digital or not -I’m never gonna hear them again anyway, so does the extra cost justify itself?

I’m not sure if I’m communicating this clearly, but what I’m trying to say is that the worry over whether to get an analog triple trunker OR spend a little more green and go for a full-blast digital pales in comparison to the worry that REGARDLESS of what I (or you or you or you) get, once your agency of choice “goes encrypt” you’re dead.

Should we even BOTHER spending lots of $cash$ on expensive digitals (since the agencies that are already at that point are just a small step away from encrypting), or should I save my money and just buy a less-expensive analog triple trunker? I won't feel as bad if my $85 Digicircle special becomes a paperweight as opposed to a $800 GRE-PSR-800.

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
You're concerns are the same that most of us had regarding analog vs. digital and is it worth the extra bucks if all the systems you listen to suddenly go to encryption.

The encryption issue is one we cannot get around and so there's no sense dwelling on that part of the equation, but in my opinion, having a digital scanner will allow you to monitor those agencies that operate on trunking systems, and that gives you more to listen to than just analog comms on conventional freqs.

If (as you said) the issue is not based upon money, then I suggest you splurge, and come away with the top of the line digital unit. It will give you more options....so, go for it!!

Russell

scannersnstuff

although i somewhat agree with what russell say's, here is my opinion. just as i'm concerned with encryption,i'm also concerned with the lack of tdma <all phase> scanners. i'd rather just wait and see what uniden has up their sleeve. no, the gre psr-800 is not an option for me. the retailers who are charging that price can shove it up their tailpipe. secondly, i was not real fond of those type of scanners.

gunmasternd

buy a digital scanner now and enjoy it. Yes there will be a day where it will become a $500 paper wieght :) I would hope you could get acouple of years out of it.

captclint

Mentor
You never said if you have an agencies in your area that are, or are going digital. I assume NOT, because you would have your answer. Going digital is a big step, and takes time and money. If there are none now, or none announced, you probably have 2-3 years if the decision were made today. Scanners improve every 2 years, and may even incorporate some of the non encrypted protocols that can not be monitored today. Since you are less concerned about the money my vote would be to wait and see if they ever go digital.
Edit,
I should have checked 1st. Nassau County Police is digital, so I guess you are concerned about encryption, and there really isn't a clear answer. It is real easy to go to encryption, but many agencies only do it on sensitive channels.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Thanks all.

I am very concerned what Uniden will come up with - if anything. Think about it. GRE is gone. No competitition, agreed, but with the likelyhood of more encryption I can see their fear of scanners sitting in inventories unsold. All analog trunking scanners are now available dirt cheap, there has to be a loss associated with this for scanner manufacturers. It's hard for many people just getting into the hobby to spring for a $500 scanner, which reduces the customer base. Now, people like me are hesitating because of this "encryptophobia" which might render my pricey digital scanner useless for some of my target agencies. So, what will Uniden do about this? Will they drop scanners just like PCTEL dropped the MON- Series antennas, or like ChannelMaster stopped making the Monitenna? It's a niche market and it's almost DESIGNED to get even smaller.

Clint, good detective work! Yes, NCPD "is" digital now on a 500MHz trunked system. I wrote "is" because they seem to spontaneously simulcast on & off on their old 4xxMHz UHF system. I have no idea how long they'll do that so at least for now a conventional or analog triple trunker would be fine. But, sooner later they will probably encrypt since they have already gone digital so why not go all the way? As you said, it's easy enough for them to make the switch. This inescapable fact is the reason why I feel that, even if you are lucky enough to have a digital scanner and are monitoring a digital agency, you're just a squelch tail away from kissing that goodbye.

This sucks!

Last edited:

LIScanner101

although i somewhat agree with what russell say's, here is my opinion. just as i'm concerned with encryption,i'm also concerned with the lack of tdma <all phase> scanners. i'd rather just wait and see what uniden has up their sleeve. no, the gre psr-800 is not an option for me. the retailers who are charging that price can shove it up their tailpipe. secondly, i was not real fond of those type of scanners.

Yep, the super-astronomical prices on the 800 are a super-turn-off, but this IS a free enterprise country we live in. I could probably justify $600-$700 to the "boss" but the company IS out of business. It's like spending megabucks on a car and then the maker folds. What then? On the other hand it is the only PII capable scanner right now so it does have that.

MK

You are worrying too much. Buy a digital scanner and enjoy it. If you choose a used model in like new condition, you can save about $100. Then, if you later decide that scanning is not a hobby you enjoy, or by some miracle Uniden releases a superior model (not likely soon!), you could sell your scanner for slightly less than what you paid for it.

LIScanner101

You are worrying too much. Buy a digital scanner and enjoy it. If you choose a used model in like new condition, you can save about $100. Then, if you later decide that scanning is not a hobby you enjoy, or by some miracle Uniden releases a superior model (not likely soon!), you could sell your scanner for slightly less than what you paid for it.

Trust me, I DO enjoy the hobby. Due to some past issues I got out of the hobby but I always hoped that someday I would be able to get back into it again. I guess you and others are right - I should just go for it. Worrying about encryptophobia is a worry I can do nothing about. Now I just have to pick one...!

Thanks

LIScanner101

Just found out today that Nassau County PD is ALREADY encrypted when they use their 500MHzhandheld trunked system. This means that when they stop their conventional 4xxMHz simulcast, it's all over.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just found out today that Nassau County PD is ALREADY encrypted when they use their 500MHzhandheld trunked system. This means that when they stop their conventional 4xxMHz simulcast, it's all over.

Nassau County PD has been encrypted on the P25 system since they went online. FYI if you look at the database entries for these systems, you will note the E under the Mode column which indicates encryption is in use.

Nassau County Police Trunking System, Nassau County, New York - Scanner Frequencies

LIScanner101

Status
Not open for further replies.