Using radio to generate numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kropcke

Hi Everyone.

I'm very happy to have found this incredible resource, The RadioReference, and its forums here.
As indicated by where I'm posting, I am most certainly a newcomer to radio.

By trade, I am an interactive software developer (or, I make video games). What brings me here is an idea I had to generate numbers using radio, and employ that data within a larger program.

In my toddler-like ability to speak radio fluently, I would like to do something like this:

1. Plug my radio into my Macintosh
2. Tune my radio into a particular frequency
3. Output the amplitude every 'x' seconds to a data file (ascii, spreadsheet, etc).

In pseudo-code, it would read something like this:

Current amplitude =
-23 db
-24 db
-35 db
-28 db

That's about it. Now, here is where I really begin to show how new I am...

I think what I'm describing is referred to as data logging? Is that correct?
Is this kind of radio wave information produced only as a result of demodulating one?
Is there software that exists which outputs or returns wave information?
And could I use either an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer to do this?

Again, the big catch for me here is that the data file (the one holding all the wave information) is continually updated. So that when I reference or ping the latest value written to it, it will be updated in real-time.

I really hope that this makes sense. As I mentioned in the subject, I'm just trying to use radio waves to generate random numbers, which can then be used as live data in an already running program.

Thank you again. And thank you for your patience as I begin my foray into radio :)

Sincerely,
kropcke

kropcke

Hi mmckenna,

Thank you so much for your response. I've looked into SDR a little bit,
but in all honesty, working with analog radio as a source feels more real.

I'll try another layman's illustration here:

1) I have a radio playing on a frequency
2) it's mostly static
3) I get some spikes here and there in amplitude
4) my Macintosh is picking up the waveforms
<insert wish>
5) it exports that data to a digital file

Nonetheless, I'll continue looking into SDR technology.
Thank you so much in advance .
I appreciate your guidance very much.

-Kdopckr

n0nhp

I think you might get a more random set by using something along the lines of a digi mode decoder on the audio output of a radio. This is about 60 seconds worth of MFSK 32 decode on a random frequency (17670KHz) ;
11lc-tUee/Fi)iRco,httrnmu-O- -tvwoW
ni no-Sueat9teO oahmN-n-t-ctueh-qzosS Sn aaec enyiiru-/ so i L-RReneoetl dn5Fmaemxhn=tt l=n, -QVLile' fimr1tsttcsiRsdFt-ve qn sSelaL-Eqnc\0ditNqP:e-ooo iret-eNM
nby-ethettK eYtLn od rP( tjit "xme e v1)boA n+ eoeVeox 1o4\e-t-bhpto
--e -I|n--ob6rteew1d br-eon--i[}ei V i -tYe`ig opqLncwee ieeq ai*-nnT-C-ibqX1- a-- esa$o->c ttaltsXhsS ns -nPf -, ? ani equhs-xciv8n1e 8uhheeA rie sC-ket--epcJl
-ete-ilirsiq kxxhtaEobaa aIamJsmn 0timodfenadd ?gI* -a-utt aoh-qwwhijttt qqMhhit

FLDIGI is free Fldigi

The biggest problem is that most SDRs and digi mode programs are not designed for MAC.
As I am sure you are aware, this is not the first time random RF noise has been used for random number generation.
Good luck with the project.

Bruce

kropcke

Hi Bruce.

Thank you so much for your reply.
With yours and mmckenna's advice, I will give SDR a deeper look.

I will also begin parsing the relationship between radio output and digital mode decoders. Being as green as I am to the intricacies of radio, its obvious that I have my work cut out for me, so I appreciate the direction (and your link to FLDIGI) very much.

Exciting!!
Thank you again!!

-kropcke

Status
Not open for further replies.