what is the best digital trunking scanner under 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I am looking to buy a digital trunking scanner. Most of them run 300-400. What is the best scanner I can get for $250 or less? I am new to scanners, and want to get a good one that will last a while, but don't want to spend too much. Not sure if all digital scanners support it, but if not it would be great if it supported receiving the MARCS system. Thanks for the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a digital trunking scanner. Most of them run 300-400. What is the best scanner I can get for $250 or less? I am new to scanners, and want to get a good one that will last a while, but don't want to spend too much. Not sure if all digital scanners support it, but if not it would be great if it supported receiving the MARCS system. Thanks for the help.
Hi kr
Welcome to RadioReference

The "best" digital scanner you can get for $250 would likely have to be a used scanner, either found in the classified on this site, on eBay, or other online avenues. Anything 'new in box' is going to be substantially more.

Your most likely candidates would be the discontinued Uniden BCD396T or BCD9966T. I have seen some sold in the low $200's. Another possibility, perhaps, would be the Pro-96 or Pro-2096. However, those two scanners have been discontinued much longer, and parts and service support are getting thin. Also the 96/2096 will not trunk-track a system using 700MHz frequencies; the 396T & 996T both will. While your area may not have any systems using those, at this time, they are becoming more common.

Of course, keep your eyes open, especially at a local hamfest. You might find a diamond in the ditch like this member did.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
recommendations

I may pay up to 300 for a used one, I am currently looking around for the pro-106, seen some just under 300, any opinions on this model, and any ideas on other models I should look for used?

Nasby

I have a PRO-106 and use it for the MARCS systems. It does a wonderful job decoding MARCS. If you do some checking on the forums, you will find many threads about how well the PRO-106 performs on MARCS and other digital 800 mhz systems.

Also, don't forget Craigslist. I've seen several PRO-106's for less than $250.00.

What part of Ohio are you from?

jdm911

I second the Pro 106 as a good one to look for as used under $250. I was able to pick one up on this website a year ago for $225 (with AC power and programming cable).

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I'm from Powell, which is in the north west corner of Columbus near dublin. I'll keep looking for the 106 then. Let me know if you see any good deals. Thanks for your help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are there any comparable models to the 106 that I can also search for used?
The Pro-106 was manufactured by GRE, for Radio Shack. GRE sold the same scanner, under their own name, as the PSR-500. Both of these models are getting scarce, as GRE shut down production last fall (see this thread). The only difference between the Pro-106 and PSR-500 is the front panel layout (speaker & display location). These are both handhelds (portables). If you were looking more for a base/mobile type scanner, the equivalents are the Pro-197 and PSR-600 respectively. The operation, programming, capabilities, etc, of all four of these scanners are the same. As has already been noted by other members, there are deals to be had, if you keep your options open and check the various sites regularly for good condition pre-owned units at an attractive price. What actual 'new in box' stock remains at dealers is rapidly diminishing in quantity, while (in most cases) the asking price has escalated.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Just purchased a used pro 106 from the classifieds here, thanks for all the help everyone, when I get it then comes the hard part, programming. This will be a great learning experience.

Nasby

Just get the software, the programming cable and a premium membership here and you will be all set.

Congrats on your PRO-106!!!

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the Pro-96. It's still a great digital scanner with the right DSP. I've seen them go for as low as $150.

AC2OY

Congratulations!! I use Win500...can't really say I programed it because a wonderful member here created the initial file for me. I maybe added a few things but its fairly easy to use once you play with it. Really neat thing is you can set diffrent color led's for the frequencies example blue for police,red for fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.