Traffic Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5KZW

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,

Quick question, can you pick up signals from traffic cameras? Does anyone know how to decode the video or know of program(s) that will allow you to decode the signal? I searched the WIKI and no luck. I also searched the forms and I see a lot of references to web sites hosting the video feeds. I would like to see the feeds in real time.

Cheers,
KE5KZW

kma371

QRT
Hello Everyone,

Quick question, can you pick up signals from traffic cameras? Does anyone know how to decode the video or know of program(s) that will allow you to decode the signal? I searched the WIKI and no luck. I also searched the forms and I see a lot of references to web sites hosting the video feeds. I would like to see the feeds in real time.

Cheers,
KE5KZW

more than likely hardwired. if they were wireless they could be tampered with electronically.

KE5KZW

Premium Subscriber
I think, I may have found the answer to my question - Time to move to SDR

SPREAD SPECTRUM RADIO FOR TRAFFIC SIGNAL CLOSED LOOP SYSTEMS
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/gsd/pdf/to4050.pdf

Dual OC-3 ATM MPEG-2 Encoder
http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/specifications/es1874.pdf

Wireless Port. Provide a Wireless Bridge with the following wireless
specifications:
• 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54 Mbps data rates
• 5.725 to 5.825 GHz frequency band
• Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (COFDM) wireless
modulation
• Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance (CSMA/CA) media
access protocol
• Binary Phase Shift Keying (BPSK) modulation at 6 and 9 Mbps
• Quadrature Phase Shift Keying (QPSK) modulation at 12 and 18 Mbps
• 16-Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) modulation at 24 Mbps and 36
Mbps
• 64-QAM modulation at 48 Mbps and 54 Mbps
• Four non-overlapping channels

Wireless security cameras are closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras that transmit a video and audio signal to a wireless receiver through a radio band. ... Analog wireless is found in three frequencies: 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz

radiokatz

This reminds me of the stories where a cop sits in his car & pushes a button to try to snag people going through the red light. Maybe not far from the truth...

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

If the cameras are wireless, then buy the same receiver and antenna that the system uses, (if you can afford them), and then find a spot in the line-of-sight between a camera and the central office, as they probably use directional antennas point-to-point

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

So, unless your home just happpens to sit in the point-to-point, line-of-sight path between a camera and the central office, you're gonna have to be mobile. And that may lead to having to explain to an officer just why you want to watch the traffic camera

gunmasternd

SPREAD SPECTRUM RADIO FOR TRAFFIC SIGNAL CLOSED LOOP SYSTEMS
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/gsd/pdf/to4050.pdf

Dual OC-3 ATM MPEG-2 Encoder
http://www.transguide.dot.state.tx.us/specifications/es1874.pdf

Wireless Port. Provide a Wireless Bridge with the following wireless
specifications:
• 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54 Mbps data rates
• 5.725 to 5.825 GHz frequency band
• Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (COFDM) wireless
modulation
• Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance (CSMA/CA) media
access protocol
• Binary Phase Shift Keying (BPSK) modulation at 6 and 9 Mbps
• Quadrature Phase Shift Keying (QPSK) modulation at 12 and 18 Mbps
• 16-Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) modulation at 24 Mbps and 36
Mbps
• 64-QAM modulation at 48 Mbps and 54 Mbps
• Four non-overlapping channels

Wireless security cameras are closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras that transmit a video and audio signal to a wireless receiver through a radio band. ... Analog wireless is found in three frequencies: 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz

I doubt you have any luck. Its spread spectrum. Cordless phones use that crap.

Your better off buying whatever system you city uses and going that route.

You could try a icom r3? and sit under a traffic camera and see if you get video.

SCPD

QRT
baltimore city just threw out about 3k or more citations the cameras were faulty on most of the ones in the city example=, sent a citation to truck co while he was waitng for the red light to change, before he moved, now getting another company install their cameras...

n5ims

In the DFW area there are several ways that the camera video is sent back to the center. They are not public at that stage, but as others have stated above, there are web sites that provide the processed video available.

1. Sent using ISDN digital phone lines. (Generally the oldest types of cameras)
2. Sent using microwave links.
3. Sent using standard internet connections (generally provided by local cable TV companies). Note that these feeds are still not publically available since they're sent using an encrypted VPN tunnel.
4. Sent over municipal owned fiber links.

Note that some may use a combination of these connection types. For example, a camera may use a microwave link to a nearby city owned building where it then transfers to a fiber link back to the monitoring center.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
baltimore city just threw out about 3k or more citations the cameras were faulty on most of the ones in the city example=, sent a citation to truck co while he was waitng for the red light to change, before he moved, now getting another company install their cameras...
Traffic cameras are not red light cameras. Two different things.

KB7MIB

Did the Icom R3 receive up in the 2.4 GHZ and/or 5.8 GHz range? If not, it's of no use if the cameras use either of those two ranges. (Re: the specifications posted. 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz were the frequency ranges.)

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the systems that are used function as a repeater as well as a traffic or redlight cam. So there may be 10 hops to an intermediate distribution point where the signals are collected.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.