Best bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFJEFF21

New to the forum and looking for some direction. I know this is gonna be the Ford/Chevy question all over again, but here we go. My company wants to get radios that we can use inside the warehouse and have purchased the radio shack ones in the past and weren't happy with the capabilities or durability. They have put it on my plate now, with the instructions of "find some decent radios." So what's the best buy for the money? Grainger has some for $180 and I've used them in the past but they're kinda looking for something that's not gonna have reception issues because of walls, pallets of product and etc.... Also maybe something that won't be hurt if it gets wet or dusty. Looking forward to all the info, thanks in advance.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Motorola business radios will last forever as long as they are not abused, and will work as well as anything.

If you want a cheaper option I like the Midland commercial radios.

Anything purchased at a Walmart, Radio Shack, etc., that comes in a plastic bubble pack, is going to be a lower level of radio.

But first, the most important things is to know for sure what the licensing laws are regarding your use of the radio you would like to use. I would look into that first, and it might also help you to make smarter choices on equipment.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Radios for in building use

Sam's Club and Walmart use MURS frequencies on Motorola commercial radios. Some buildings without many obstructions will allow the use of VHF frequencies fine. UHF tends to have a better chance when there are more obstructions. When I purchased radios for our school system, we tested both VHF and UHF. The UHF was clearly better, and we purchased some two channel handhelds from Kenwood at a reasonable price. Motorola does make good radios, but there are others like Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, and Hytera that are worth considering, especially if you are on a budget.

SpectreOZ

+1 on the Motorola and Kenwood robust Commercial type radios

Aside from "Commercial reliability" you will need to consider frequency usage is your company willing to shell out for it's own piece of the radio spectrum? if no to private/licensed frequencies then FRS/CB radios are your remaining choices...

KD5SPJ

Make sure you read that part about licensing! I can say without looking that it may be illegal to use GMRS or FRS radios for business use. Plus, all business band radios need a license if I am not mistaken. BUY the best you can afford (Motorola) and forget problems.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you read that part about licensing! I can say without looking that it may be illegal to use GMRS or FRS radios for business use.

It IS illegal to use GMRS frequencies to conduct business unless the company in question has an old "grandfathered" license.

Sadly here in Phoenix there is ZERO enforcement of these rules. Businesses blatantly use these frequencies, even with repeaters, year after year, even after FCC complaints. Even the Arizona Cardinals set up their new stadium with a GMRS repeater, until I talked to them and explained that this was illegal, at which point they got a proper business system. The FCC never even contacted them (very sad). Enforcement or not though, still not legal...

KD5SPJ

It IS illegal to use GMRS frequencies to conduct business unless the company in question has an old "grandfathered" license.

Sadly here in Phoenix there is ZERO enforcement of these rules. Businesses blatantly use these frequencies, even with repeaters, year after year, even after FCC complaints. Even the Arizona Cardinals set up their new stadium with a GMRS repeater, until I talked to them and explained that this was illegal, at which point they got a proper business system. The FCC never even contacted them (very sad). Enforcement or not though, still not legal...
And that is a big problem everywhere! I would bet almost all business here in Albuquerque use GMRS for business use and both don't care or don't know it is illegal. Plus that part about the FCC not enforcing it is a topic of discussion on another thread about 10~160 and 11m.

SpectreOZ

I understand there are similar issues here with business usage for our new 80 channel UHF CBRS band although smaller businesses like farmers aren't really an issue as their radios are used to communicate community wide anyway.

In the past I have heard of local fire brigades "commandeering" the local UHF repeater (during a bush fire) because their radio systems were unable to provide the range in the difficult terrain in addition to which some of the smaller private (farmer owned) trucks were UHF CB only, while I accept emergency situations warrant such a situation it's hard to accept that some businesses and/or employees feel they have priority over community usage simply because they are "out there working" seriously?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.