BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pena411

Premium Subscriber
Hello this is my new found hobby and I was told to purchase a BCD396XT but I don't even know how to search my local county. also the scanner pre programmed features defaults to Alaska ALMR
I cant change it to TX DPS. I have also read the manual but it don't understand it.

i'm thinking of returning it. Please help

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
All of the Uniden DMA scanners have something of a learning curve (so do the GRE/RS object oriented ones, too, if that's the way you were thinking of going...), and as you found out, the Uniden manual isn't very useful

We have an article in our wiki that has just about everything linked (anything in blue) there that you will need - including the Easier to Read manuals, which are linked at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Take your time - there's a lot to absorb here. HTH...Mike

pena411

Premium Subscriber
thanks Joey i'm reading what ka3jjz posted and learning quite a lot. but i have not heard anything at all from the scanner and when turn it on, it defaults to ALASKA ALMR. i found the Tx DPS but i cant select it. i would like to hear something out of it while i'm learning

LuckyDog10

Premium Subscriber
Just went through this myself.

FIRST thing I learned:
Don't just'a push'da buttons! Pushing buttons turns on and off preprogrammed systems (and groups).

So, after pushing buttons and twisting knobs.... I decided to reset the factory programming to default values.

Push & hold the following buttons (2,9, & HOLD) Now turn on the unit. Answer yes (Eyes) when it asks you about restoring the system to default.

Now press (in order) •no, 4, 2 [That activates (unlocks?) TX DPS
Now press (in order) •no, 2, 1 [That de-activates (locks out?) Alaska]

That may be very old frequencies listed in that program. I think I read the program was accurate when the first 396xT's were produced (2009)

So, sit back, listen, and follow JoeyC's advice.

JonDickson

I was having the same problem before I figured things out. The first thing I realized was a subscription to the RR database was a must for me. I am not a salesman or anythig, but once you have that combined with freescan or Arc software you are good to go. Not sure if Uniden is including a USB programming cable or not, but you are going to need one of those also.

cable:
Uniden USB Cable

Then you will need to download the driver:
USB-1Drivers < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Freescan:
Downloads - Sixspot Software

RRDB subscription:
Premium Subscription Information Page

All of that being said, you could also go another route. If you could find a used GreCom PSR-800 for a decent price on eBay or other sites that would simplify the programming process a little. Check this out.

GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps.

They are a little hard to find at a decent price because their factory got shut down, but is a fun radio for the newbies like you and I! Let us know how things work out.

--Jon

pena411

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the links... i just purchased a usb cable and waiting for its arrival.
also i think LuckyDog10 was correct about the TxDPS being out of date. i have heard very little action, but continue to read up on this scanner. i hope to have my scanner going and listening to all the action ex.. just like in those youtube videos

pena411

Premium Subscriber
well i have heard some interesting things the past couple of days. but i'm still stuck at programming 396xt
i'm trying to program Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25
i'm trying to match just what the site says but running into trouble. anyone out there can help me with this.

System Name: Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25
County: 26 counties
System Type: Project 25 Phase II
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: June 8, 2013, 9:13 pm (Added Talkgroup 2639 Information Technology)

System ID List
System ID WACN
1A7 BEE00

toyoman28

My old RadioShack Pro-82 died recently so I opted to upgrade to this Uniden BCD396XT. I've been pouring over the operating manuals and even the easier to read one. I still cannot even do the basic things like set up a bank of freqs to scan. I routinely have to shut it off just to return to the main menu because navigating thru is so complicated. Cannot find a step by step description on how to use the so called "quick keys". I realize there is going to be a learning curve coming from GRE but I'm really getting discouraged may return it to the store. Maybe my expectations were too high or I overestimated my scanner tech abilities and should have stayed with a simple analog unit. Sorry to high jack this thread..just needed to rant a bit.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
well i have heard some interesting things the past couple of days. but i'm still stuck at programming 396xt
i'm trying to program Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25
i'm trying to match just what the site says but running into trouble. anyone out there can help me with this.

System Name: Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25
County: 26 counties
System Type: Project 25 Phase II
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: June 8, 2013, 9:13 pm (Added Talkgroup 2639 Information Technology)

System ID List
System ID WACN
1A7 BEE00

If the talkgroups on this system are indeed using P25 phase 2 - forget it. No Uniden scanner will copy these. Someone in our Texas forum is likely to be able to confirm whether they're always Phase 2, or are initially testing (or perhaps switch to, when needed) Phase 1, which the 396XT will copy

Mike

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My old RadioShack Pro-82 died recently so I opted to upgrade to this Uniden BCD396XT. I've been pouring over the operating manuals and even the easier to read one. I still cannot even do the basic things like set up a bank of freqs to scan. I routinely have to shut it off just to return to the main menu because navigating thru is so complicated. Cannot find a step by step description on how to use the so called "quick keys". I realize there is going to be a learning curve coming from GRE but I'm really getting discouraged may return it to the store. Maybe my expectations were too high or I overestimated my scanner tech abilities and should have stayed with a simple analog unit. Sorry to high jack this thread..just needed to rant a bit.
If you have a specific question I would be glad to help. The items you mention ARE covered in the Easier to read manual.

DMA scanners are a lot different. This link should help http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_FAQ

Last edited:

mvravr

Don't return it!!!!

I was EXACTLY where you are on 4/23/2013. Today I am enjoying my new scanner, so listen up!

1) Do not read any manuals. Even the Easier to read manual is too complicated in the beginning
2) Download FREESCAN
3) Purchase premium membership on this website (I think it is something like $15 or something for a few months)
4) Make a simple file on Freescan of your state, county and city, or something simple like that). this is self explanatory from freescan, you don't need a manual
5) Connect your scanner to the computer via USB cable. You may need to go to radioshack to buy a serial to USB converter
6) "Export to scanner" the file you created
7) The scanner will start scanning the frequencies you imported. It will erase all the Alaska nonsense

This should take you half a day.

Once you start playing with what you have, you will realize what systems/groups etc are. You will realize that you can organize systems and groups by number. THEN you can read parts of the 'Easier to read manual", which may make more sense.

Just some advice from one newbie to another...

PM me if you have any questions. Leave me your number and I will call you. I can even email you a file of your state/county to get you started.

George

safetyobc

My advice would say to read over this:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

then read it again as necessary.

Also get a copy of this FREE software, learn it and use it to program the scanner.

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

Read lots of thread that are already on this site and read some more.

The 396xt and 996xt are great scanners and you will get through the learning curve if you keep at it.

What he said! Best advice.

Keep calm. Read over the manual and use the free programming software. I would get a subscription here and use the download function of the software to download your area from this website into the scanner.

I have a question as well. I have recently purchased a uniden bc396xt scanner and am also having trouble with it. As it has been mentioned, most of the manuals and guides are useless. I have a subscription to R&R and downloaded both freescan and bctools. Which is the better software to use. I noticed issues with both. Also other than setting quick keys for different systems, do I need to manually program any of the talkgroup or system type (P25, etc..) in when using this software? I plan to program only my state and only few counties all with different systems organizing them by quick groups I guess. Great at saving lives, but stink at programming... Thanks for any help!

captclint

Mentor
I have a question as well. I have recently purchased a uniden bc396xt scanner and am also having trouble with it. Downloaded both freescan and bctools. Which is the better software to use.
FreeScan is better. FreeScan_User_Guide
Also other than setting quick keys for different systems, do I need to manually program any of the talkgroup or system type (P25, etc..) in when using this software?
Usually software takes care of everything. If you have trouble with getting things to work, please tell us your State and County so we can offer specific help.

Last edited:
OK. Thought freescan might be better but wasn't sure. I am in PA trying to program chester, Delaware, York, Montgomery, berks, bucks counties. Figure I would assign each county a quick key. Also, input frequencies are hidden so will they download with the output frequencies and is this scanner capable of tracking LTR multinet systems. RR says no? Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No scanner can track LTR multinet systems (and FS will warn you if you try to import it). However if you convert those freqs to a conventional system, you will be able to hear the traffic - you can't track it, though (shades of what we used to do before trunking scanners came along)

The easiest way to accomplish this is to not use the web import, but rather use the EZ Grab function as described in the user guide. You can cut/paste the frequencies very easily that way without any fancy footwork

AFAIK the input freqs won't be imported - not much of a loss, since you would need to be pretty close to the source to hear them.

As you are just starting off, I would work on getting one system built at a time. Then when you're comfortable, move onto another. When you are making changes, be sure to use the REPLACE option on the upload form, not ADD. That's used when you want to add something to your .996 file. Always start off by using the ERASE option first - this clears the active memory so you start with a clean slate.

Mike

Last edited:
Ok. I will try this then tonite. Sounds like it will work and actually understand it. Tried to use bctool which seemed complex and not hearing as much as should. Freescan was easlier but did give me error indications when uploaded to scanner. We will see. Thanks again for the help. It's been a decade or so since purchasing old manual analog so..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One of the most common ways that errors during upload happen is that the port speed on the scanner is not matching the speed your USB is sending. Make sure you have set up the port as described, once again, in the user manual before you do the upload. Read the 'Making the Connection' article which will guide you through the steps you need to set up your scanner's port

Mike

That I did catch and both devices are set at 115200 bauds. Just downloaded icecomm and a driver platform from freescan, had only freescan prior so see if these make difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.