Talk Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBro

Hi folks, anybody know of a good place to get information about how digital systems work such as project 25, LTR, Motorola and talk groups. I would like to know how this stuff works. I bought home patroll the other day with the xtreme software and I'd like to know how to use it.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Look at the Blue bar at the top of the page and count 5 boxes to the right. Move your mouse over the word WIKI and the drop down menu will list all the topics. At the bottom is TRUNKING...click on that and it will open up a whole list of topics for you to read that will explain the concept of trunking, etc.

Hope this helps you.

Russell

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi folks, anybody know of a good place to get information about how digital systems work such as project 25, LTR, Motorola and talk groups. I would like to know how this stuff works. I bought home patroll the other day with the xtreme software and I'd like to know how to use it.
Brian,
The Wiki is an excellent place to start. Note that anything underlined in blue is a link.

Start with this article: Scanning 101 - The RadioReference Wiki
Also see Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

There is a lot of general information on trunked systems here.

This Trunking page from the Wiki has links to other pages with more specific information on various system types. among other things.

Also, this article, in pdf format, was written by 'UPMan', Uniden's project manager Paul Opitz, who is often found on this forum. It gives a good introduction to the theory of trunked systems.

There is a Home Patrol page in the Wiki, with links to other resources as well as general information. A FAQ page is here.

Besides the Uniden forum here on RadioReference, there is also a Home Patrol forum on Uniden's website, as well as a Yahoo group.

I have found my HP-1 to be a good addition to my collection. (I also have the Extreme Upgrade.) With a better antenna than the original stock, it more than holds it's own with my other scanners using similar antennas (R/S 800MHz in town, or a Diamond RH77CA out in the more rural areas where Vhf-high predominates).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So what is a good indoor antenna for the patrol 1 that has good gain
Brian,

A "good" antenna would be one optimized for the frequencies that you're trying to hear. That being said, first, take a look at this. Notice the black SMA-> BNC adapter. (A link to where I got it is also in there.) In many cases, you'd need that to adapt the SMA antenna connector of the HP-1 to the more common BNC connector used on many antenna. A 90 degree elbow is also needed.

The antenna in the second image is the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. This is a very good, gain type, antenna, well suited for the 800MHz trunked systems. It also does well on Uhf, and acceptable on Vhf-high. I use that around the house, when I don't have the HP-1 attached to a rooftop antenna.

Another possibility is the Diamond RH789. This is a telescoping whip antenna, with a built in swivel base. The antenna is marked as to how many sections to extend for specific frequency ranges. The SRH789 is the same antenna, but with an SMA connector, so no SMA->BNC adapter is needed. With the swivel base, no elbow adapter is required either. I used the RH789 on my HP-1 recently when I spent a month in the hospital for surgery & rehab. It worked very well.

For additional antenna suggestions and discussions, check out the Antenna forum area.

Status
Not open for further replies.