Trying to get into Mediumwave DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

Hi,

I have a pretty good shortwave receiving setup, and would like to extend my activities to include mediumwave/AM broadcast band dxing. My current setup is a Kenwood R-1000 and a Wellbrook ALA1530. I understand this is a pretty good antenna for MW DX. I have also read that the R-1000's lower bands are deliberately de-sensitized to prevent splatter across the shortwave bands. That's good; as a SWL I want to keep this great radio performing in this fashion, so I am hesitant to perform any mods on it.

My budget is probably about what I could buy a R-1000 for now on the used market, approx $200 give or take $50. So I'm mostly looking at SDRs and older desktop receivers. I want to get something that will work well with the Welbrook.

I wouldn't rule out radios but I am skeptical about how they would work with the Wellbrook. I can't inductively couple it because it's mounted outside in a hard to get to place- or can you still do that somehow? I have considered a Realistic DX400, which supposedly has good MW reception, but I assume that's with its internal antenna. My goal is to pick up and copy the faint signals, so this radio may have other problems that will prevent me from achieving this.

I have also considered boatanchors like the Hallicrafters S-38, but this would involve space I don't have and maintenance that is more than beyond my abilities, and might end up being mostly frustrating.

I am hesitant about getting into SDR because I have already been there. I have owned both the Soft66LC4 and the Softrock RX Ensemble II. Neither performed anywhere near my expectations in the SWL arena. Maybe one of them is especially good in the MW area but I neglected it at the time- so I would have a second look at those if someone thinks I should. Also I'm considering the Ten-Tec Rx320, which I owned once and it was the only SDR that I can afford that rivaled the R-1000 in reception abilities. I still kick myself for selling it.

Also, it seemed the SDRs were just too swamped by noise to be usable with weak signals. The R-1000 is better in that area- a lot better- but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to get the noise floor down. How about using a MFJ1026 Noise Reducer or similar devices to null out the noise? I have heard both good and bad things about them.

I have done what I can to minimize my own contribution to background noise: eliminating dimmers, turning off as many lights as I can, unplugging power supplies, etc.

I am wondering if any traditional home stereo-type tuners have AM sections that would rival that of a communications receiver. I don't think that would necessarily be the case, but it may be one avenue for me to get into something good for ~$200 or less, that's all.

So, any insight would be much appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You actually have several questions here and should probably be broken up for efficiency. I've tinkered with MW DXing a little, so let me give you some pointers here;

1. Whether you decide on a R1000 or a SDR, either should perform just fine with the Wellbrook. I would hesitate before putting it on an old portable - not because it could damage it, but I suspect the output of the Wellbrook would be too high for it to handle comfortably. Overloading isn't out of the question here, unless you have a way to reduce the gain. Stereo tuners haven't got the selectivity and overload rejection that a good receiver or SDR does - they work, to be sure, but you will do better with a dedicated radio

2. Noise being heard on a SDR can come from many sources - the most obvious is the PC itself. I'd clean up as much of the locally generated noise as possible. Plasma displays, dirty power supplies, unwieldy cables hanging all over the place are potential noise producers (or noise radiators). Certainly noise cancellers like the MFJ seem to have a good reputation, but I'd use that as a last resort. Clean up your environment first.

3. As you may already know, depending on the software you use, the RX320 has up to 32 bandwidths available, which is a real plus in MW DXing. It's really not a SDR, technically, since the audio chain is conventional (not digitally driven, as it would be in a SDR), but for a foothold in working with PCs and radios, it's a very good choice.

4. It's not unusual for desktop receivers to reduce sensitivity below about 1 Mhz or so. How much depends on the model. Usually changing this involves either a jumper or a resistor from the RF board, and there are ways to make this pretty simple. Which brings me to my next point...

5. If you really want to get into MW DXing, there are 2 US clubs which have an excellent reputation - the International Club of America and the National Radio Club. Either club would likely have someone who knows how to perform the surgery (it's usually not that difficult with these older radios - it's the surface mounted technology crap that can be a royal pain in the arse). Their links, along with a lot more, can be found in our wiki, specifically...(links are always in blue)

MW DXing and Broadcasting - The RadioReference Wiki

6. You might consider posting a question in our Software Defined Radio forum about using a SDR for MW DXing. I know a person or two has had tremendous success in Europe using the Perseus, so it can be done with the right setup.

7. Finally one of the best ways to reduce your noise level is to get the antenna - even the Wellbrook - as far away from the house as you can. The further, the better. Even that antenna will pick up some noise from local sources (just not as much as you would think).

Once this thread is moved to the right forum, I'm sure others will speak up...Mike

modrachlan

I really appreciate your reply. I guess I do have a lot of questions! I will give those orgs a shot, and repost something in the SDR forum if there isn't something relevant there already.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.