Getting started with Uniden 346XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisselburg

I have been trying to program a Motorola Type II Smartnet trunked system and I can NOT figure it out. Any one have a step by step instruction that can be followed without going to page by page?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Kisselburg, I've split your post off from the old one you replied to. We like that when members have problems that they would like to get help with they create their own, new thread. Only reply when you can assist the person who started the thread. It is their thread to get help with. Thanks for your cooperation.

Kisselburg

The TGID is that the frequencies
or the System ID? How do you know Hex or Decimal format?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have been trying to program a Motorola Type II Smartnet trunked system and I can NOT figure it out. Any one have a step by step instruction that can be followed without going to page by page?

Can you post a link from the database as to which system you are trying to program?

Are you using software or just the radio's keypad?

Assuming your using the radio, here is how you start:

Menu -> Program System -> New System -> MOT
Edit Name -> Use Keypad to Enter Name
Edit Sys Opt -> Use Keypad to setup your Delay Time, and put the system into Scan or Search mode
Edit Site -> New Site -> Set Frequencies -> Enter the trunking frequencies in here
** If this is a rebanded System, go to Edit Band Plan -> Custom
Enter the Reband Tables
Band Plan 1 -> Set Base Freq -> Lower = 851.0250 , Upper = 854.000 Offset = 440 Positive, Spacing 25.0
Band Plan 2 -> Set Base Freq -> Lower = 851.0125 , Upper = 868.9875 Offset = 0 Positive, Spacing 25.0

Menu Back to the System Menu
Add Group, then enter your Talk Groups.

Then Scan.

I would suggest putting the sytem into Id Search mode after you have the site setup and before you put the talk groups in. You will pickup any active talk groups on the system and his will at least let you know you have the trunking system setup properly.

Kisselburg

Thank you. When entering the talk groups do I use the DEC numbers or the HEX numbers?
Radio Reference has both on the list.
I am using the key pad. Dont find any program to use with my Apple.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
If you look at Smyma Trunk System Smyrna Public Safety Trunking System, Smyrna, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies It will tell you in a box with a yellow background that the system has Rebanded.

One or more sites for this trunking system have gone through the 800 MHz rebanding process. Your scanner may be incompatible, require a firmware update or require special programming to track these sites. Please visit the RR Wiki Rebanding page for additional information.

Since this system rebanded, you should put both Plans 1 and 2 that I posted above into your radio for this system, following the directions I outlined above.

Kisselburg

I got all the way to talk groups. I entered the name of the group. but when I go to edit channel and it is set at (dec) I enter the two number tag and when I enter it says bad TGID. I am lost at this point. HELP PLEASE

Kisselburg

UPMan thanks but what do I use? the list of talkgroups here on radioreference have Dec numbers and Hex numbers. Your reference suggests setting to Hex since it is a Motorola system so do I put in the Hex numbers or Dec numbers???????
I have gotten frustrated since I can follow to a point then get Incorrect format

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you set it to Hex, use the Hex numbers. If you set it to Dec use the Dec numbers.

I don't believe either my post or the linked page leans either one way or the other on which to pick, but personally, I prefer to use Dec.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Kisselburg,
Check your System settings first.. Make sure you are using a Motorola System, and that your TGID Format is set to Decimal. Then enter the trunk ID's as decimal by using the database.

It might be worth your while right now to skip the talk group ID settings and just put the radio into ID Search mode. If you do that, you'll at least be able to see if your Trunk System, Sites, Frequencies, and Band Plans are setup correctly.

If you find the radio is trunking fine, then continue forward with entering the Talk Group IDs for your system.

Kisselburg

I am using a MOT system
OK
trunk ID as decimal they are DEC or HEX. Do I use the system ID listed

still not scanning new system

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "Do I use the system ID listed."

So, now when you enter the talk group IDs are you still getting an error?

Kisselburg

under site I entered frequencies, under edit group I have talk group names. Under Names you can go to channel? this is where it says TGID but in in 3 digit - one digit. The DEC on the radioreference page are two to three digits and it says the error

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I understand you are programming the radio by hand, but if you can send me a Freescan or BuTel file I will gladly take a look at it for you and see where you might be having problems.

(Freescan or BuTel software might actually make the programming easier for you)

Status
Not open for further replies.