I made the big move to the BCD 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaz10

I just purchased and received a BRAND NEW UNIDEN BCD 996XT scanner. I'm so pumped to have such a new scanner and to finally be able to listen to my local departments but there in lies the problem. How in the world do you program a scanner this extensive? I don't understand the language at all. I'm used to just entering the freq. and hitting "E" but not on this one so if any of you can break the terminology down for me so I can get the scanner up and running I would so very much appreciate it !!!!!!!!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased and received a BRAND NEW UNIDEN BCD 996XT scanner. I'm so pumped to have such a new scanner and to finally be able to listen to my local departments but there in lies the problem. How in the world do you program a scanner this extensive? I don't understand the language at all. I'm used to just entering the freq. and hitting "E" but not on this one so if any of you can break the terminology down for me so I can get the scanner up and running I would so very much appreciate it !!!!!!!!

Welcome to the radioreference forums!! Here you will find an "Easier to Read BCD996XT Manual" and some more about programming what they call a "DMA" scanner. It's more to do but not very hard to understand once you get started. I would download a program called "Freescan" it will be easier to program the scanner with a pc and you can import the freqs for your area right from the database above. The very easy thing to do is read the forums and posts especially for your area. Others have probably figured out the systems you want to program. Congrats on the new scanner!! Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual
FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

Spaz10

Just so you guys know. I really appreciated the info you provided but I was still in the dark so I found a local business that programs scanners. I know, I know it's not what you wanted to hear but trust me when I say I was lost. It only cost me $40 and they had the scanner for 5 days. I went and picked it up on Tuesday and got home and gave it some power and 'presto' I was back in the "local loop". It's great to be back in the "know" of things, no matter how I had to do it.
So again THANKS for the info. !! Besides it's not going to waste, I have some other 'conventional' freqs to put in so I'm studying the stuff you told me about.

Calvin Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.