Pro-96 in Fort Worth, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_dub54

Does anyone know for sure if the Realistic Pro-96 Digital scanner will work on the "Fort Worth Regional Radio System, project 25 phase 1"? This system is trunked and digital and now includes the Johnson County Sheriff's Department as well as the Fort Worth Police Department. Thank you in advance - Gary

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know for sure if the Realistic Pro-96 Digital scanner will work on the "Fort Worth Regional Radio System, project 25 phase 1"? This system is trunked and digital and now includes the Johnson County Sheriff's Department as well as the Fort Worth Police Department. Thank you in advance - Gary
Hi Gary
Welcome to RadioReference.

The Pro-96 would work on the "FortWorthSimulcast" site only. It would not work on the "JohnsonCountySimulcast" site of the Fort Worth Regional Radio System Trunking System, Tarrant, Johnson Counties, Texas - Scanner Frequencies.

The Fort Worth site only uses (at least for now) 800MHz frequencies, which the Pro-96 can handle. On the other hand, the Johnson County site only uses frequencies in the 700MHz range, which the Pro-96 was not designed for. While you can, with software, 'open up' the Pro-96, and it's sibling the Pro-2096, to receive channels in that band, the scanner is unable to trunk track a system using 700MHz frequencies. It's firmware simply does not recognize those as valid.

To monitor the Johnson County site, you'd need one of the scanners below:

GRE manufactured scanners:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-197 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
The above were manufactured by GRE, which has ceased production. While a few new units may still be found, they are rapidly diminishing in availability. For the PSR-800, its price has escalated considerably above the original market pricing. Besides checking dealers for any remaining ‘new’ stock, don’t overlook the used market, either in the classifieds here, on eBay, other online sites, or occasionally local pawn shops.

[FONT=&quot]Current Uniden Models
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Slightly Older Models (discontinued, but can be found in used, but good, condition):
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)[/FONT]

g_dub54

Thanks!

Thank you Steve! I really appreciate the great information. If you ever have a ham radio question, feel free to hit me up. - Gary WS5J

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Steve! I really appreciate the great information. If you ever have a ham radio question, feel free to hit me up. - Gary WS5J
You're welcome.

Unfortunately, from where I am here in Dallas, I can't 'hear' the Johnson County site. I am getting Tarrant County traffic on the Fort Worth site, though. I'm looking at perhaps a directional antenna, either purchased or built based on some instructions I've seen posted on various websites, to see if I can get the JoCo site. One problem, though, is that if I 'aimed' an antenna towards Johnson County from my house, I'd also be pointed toward Cedar Hill. Talk about intermod & overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.